Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrite, all; let me start by saying that I'm a Honda salesman and I've been VERY excited about the HRV. With that being said, I had at least a couple of concerns going in. The first, and most prevalent, was the suspension. Second, was the interior design choices (HVAC touchscreen, huge vent, high center console).

Suspension:
Sharing the MacPherson Strut front suspension, and more importantly, the Torsion Beam rear suspension with the fit gave me obvious pause. The Fit is my least favorite car in the Honda lineup because I feel that it drives very rough and feels hollow when I drive it. I was certainly concerned about these things going into my HRV training.

With that being said, my concerns have been alleviated. Honda has employed a technology they're calling Amplitude Reactive Dampers to support that suspension that exists. I drove it myself and I took it to our local pothole **** and it handled it better than my 09 Corolla, at least as good as a new Civic but a little less well than a new CRV.

Interior Design Elements:
HVAC Touchscreen:
Allow me to say that I don't LOVE it, but I'm OK with it. It's not hard to use, or finicky and from what I can tell it doesn't show too much in the way of smudges either.

Gigantic Vent:
Ugly. But functional.
There's really nothin else to be said about it.

Center Console:
It's high. I'm six feet tall and it's just under the top of my legs with the seat all the way down. However, Honda made some really smart decisions to compensate. First, the storage compartment in the center console is pretty small, but the top of it slides forward to function as an armrest. They've also created a media; "tray" I'll call it, up under the front of the center console that has your USB/HDMI/Aux ports and a tray to lay whatever is plugged into them in. It's kind of inconvenient for a driver to access, but with Bluetooth, you probably won't be reaching for your phone too much.

The Drive:
I could definitely tell they went with the Civic engine/transmission. The HRV is far more confident and tight than the fit. I absolutely loved it and was blown away by the fact that it has only a FRACTION of the Fit's road noise and stiffness.

All-in-all: I'll be buying one

Feel free to ask any questions, I've spent a good amount of time with the vehicle already.

Also: it does has refresh mode, they're just not naming it in any literature because people use that mode the least.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That all sounds really positive!

Do you have any details on pricing yet?
She told us the same thing I already knew from here, there was even a slide show graph. "20,000 to 26,000" is the official line on it.

I think they're trying their damnedest to keep it cheap, which explains the lack of power seats on ANY trim.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Interior Design Elements:
HVAC Touchscreen:
Allow me to say that I don't LOVE it, but I'm OK with it. It's not hard to use, or finicky and from what I can tell it doesn't show too much in the way of smudges either.

Thanks for your write up. Why do you not love it? Is it because it is all touch screen and you would rather just have knobs (I would!), but is there some function you don't like or issue?

·
Registered
514 Posts
She told us the same thing I already knew from here, there was even a slide show graph. "20,000 to 26,000" is the official line on it.

I think they're trying their damnedest to keep it cheap, which explains the lack of power seats on ANY trim.
I really think that is slightly too high.. :/

·
Registered
547 Posts
Paralakz -- my salute to you for at least identifying yourself as a Honda employee. You're probably one out of several here who have actually done so. I know you're trying to keep the excitement going. But obviously the proof is in the pudding.
It's going to see well regardless unless the supplies falter and first-gen recalls get ugly.
Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your write up. Why do you not love it? Is it because it is all touch screen and you would rather just have knobs (I would!), but is there some function you don't like or issue?
Mostly because, until you have it downright memorized, you definitely need more time with your eyes away from the road than you would with a knob.

I love the feel, the function and the look of it, just don't love the lack of a tactile, touchable knob.

Change for the sake of change, and whatnot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will it tow? Even the Civic has a humble tow rating, we have seen nothing for the HR-V.
Not this year from what I underatand.

They opted for a non-Earthdreams engine to keep cost down but they sacrificed fuel efficiency and potential power as a result. However, I'm actually GLAD they chose it. It makes the HRV feel peppy, snappy and responsive compared to how the fit feels slow to respond and small.

There's also not a trailer hitch of any kind in the current accessory sheet. Unfortunately for me, there's no tent either :(.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paralakz -- my salute to you for at least identifying yourself as a Honda employee. You're probably one out of several here who have actually done so. I know you're trying to keep the excitement going. But obviously the proof is in the pudding.
It's going to see well regardless unless the supplies falter and first-gen recalls get ugly.
Fingers crossed.
Well, I'm just a salesman at a dealership, nobody special. You are right about my excitement, though; but it's out of genuine excitement for the vehicle for my own personal ownership more than anything else.

I think the HRV is the strongest offering in the segment, so far. Chrysler is WAY too proud of the Renegade (I sell those too) and I've never loved the Juke (which I also sell).

I was cautious at first about identifying myself because im not sure if there's a moratorium on the information im sharing or not.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That all sounds really positive!

Do you have any details on pricing yet?

Is that with the destination charge included? Or is it 20,000 to 26,000 plus destination charge?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Mostly because, until you have it downright memorized, you definitely need more time with your eyes away from the road than you would with a knob.

I love the feel, the function and the look of it, just don't love the lack of a tactile, touchable knob.

Change for the sake of change, and whatnot.
I deal with car accidents in my line of work, and I'll be curious to see when an HRV is involved in the wreck if it is caused by the driver of the HRV. I can easily see the HRV the one at fault for fumbling with buttons or trying to reach for the phone down below - even though you say you really won't need to because of blue tooth, but people still fumble with their phones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do You Have This Info?

I have no information to reliably comment on that. Sorry man!

I've got a lot of vehicle information, though!
I've got a question for you if you've seen an LX model in person.

Can you please tell me if the upper half of the door panel (from the door open/close grab handle) is cloth? It is leather(or fake leather) in the EX-L model. That's my biggest question I have right now since I haven't seen one in person yet.

The pics I've come across seem to show this area to be cloth, but, I'm just not 100% sure about it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hard acceleration

Thanks Paralakz for all the info.

How does the HRV sound and respond in a 'hard' acceleration? As in a short entrance ramp to the freeway.

thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Load capacity?

Could you tell me what the load capacity is, for passengers and cargo combined?

And thank you for sharing your impressions!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not this year from what I underatand.

They opted for a non-Earthdreams engine to keep cost down but they sacrificed fuel efficiency and potential power as a result. However, I'm actually GLAD they chose it. It makes the HRV feel peppy, snappy and responsive compared to how the fit feels slow to respond and small.

There's also not a trailer hitch of any kind in the current accessory sheet. Unfortunately for me, there's no tent either :(.
Thank you, I appreciate the detailed information.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thx Paralakz,

I'm interested if you think my assumption is correct....oh course we'll have to see

Here goes.....next year or mid model refresher will have a earth dreams turbo in it? or would that go for acura's version?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm wondering what you thought of acceleration? I think if I have any major concern, it's with 141 HP pulling 2,600 - 2,800 lbs. It sounds poky, but frankly that's about the same as my 2010 Soul+, and I'm happy with it.

I'd also be really interested in whether or not you got it out on the highway.

Thanks - it's awesome to hear your report!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts