Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the gear change on my hrv is very notchy and clunky.all the reviews I have read describe a smooth slick gear change.has anybody else found theirs notchy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel like it requires a little more force to get into and out of gear versus previous Accords and Civics that I have owned, but wouldn't describe anything as notchy or clunky at all.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I find I have to match RPM pretty well to get a smooth shift, but this is my first 6 speed (tighter shorter gears). My wife rarely drives stick but days mine feels smooth (well that sounds dirty.. But you know what I mean)

If anything I think the stick is a little like a rubber chicken bone, I'd like it to be more substantial feeling.

Maybe I'm not understanding Notchy or clunky, what situation do you find that?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello

Im from Estonia and i too have shift problems. I feel syncros through shifter meaning them not synchronizing leading grind into gear.
The problem is very random and hard to reproduce. Car has kicked gears out for couple times with different gears just before switch.
The problem is in CMC, in other words clutch master cylinder with its delay valve. Same problem has type-r and civic, search youtube ;)
I made video today demonstrating this problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp-oQxaMOOk
The car has now 11 000km and first service on its way in about 35 days. I have gone to 3 different dealers in Estonia and no results. They say its normal.
I know how to fix this but here they say they can not put civic part in my HR-V or remove delay valve from CMC.
Im really lost to what to do.

Video about this valve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkGHEBmPda8&feature=youtu.be

The car is 1.5 M/T petrol

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hello

Im from Estonia and i too have shift problems. I feel syncros through shifter meaning them not synchronizing leading grind into gear.
The problem is very random and hard to reproduce. Car has kicked gears out for couple times with different gears just before switch.
The problem is in CMC, in other words clutch master cylinder with its delay valve. Same problem has type-r and civic, search youtube /forum/images/HRVForum/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
I made video today demonstrating this problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp-oQxaMOOk
The car has now 11 000km and first service on its way in about 35 days. I have gone to 3 different dealers in Estonia and no results. They say its normal.
I know how to fix this but here they say they can not put civic part in my HR-V or remove delay valve from CMC.
Im really lost to what to do.

Video about this valve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkGHEBmPda8&feature=youtu.be

The car is 1.5 M/T petrol
The delay valve in the slave cylinder is actually there to prevent damage to the synchronizers.

The delay valve makes the clutch engage slower. So actually this valve helps PREVENT damage.

This valve does not make the clutch disengage slower(making the clutch disengage slower would be bad for the synchros if you were to shift too early)

The reason people remove this valve on the civics is so the clutch slips less so they can beat on the car harder before the clutch starts slipping.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Also to everyone who feels their shifting is a little notchy First bleed your clutch master cylinder if you have doubts about the lines being air free or if the fluid is old.

Then run this knob: https://radarmount.com/products/wei...ss-steel-shift-knob-acura-honda-m10x1-5mm-blk

It is weighted and dampened so it will make the gears fall in effortlessly and reduce the notchy feeling.
On top of this the wrinkle black model doesn’t get hot in the sun because it is powder coated and it’s grippy.

I own like 20+ shift knobs and this is my favorite knob for a daily driver

·
Registered
16 Posts
Firstly it really isn´t in slave cylinder but it is in master and i know that for sure. Secondly, the knob won´t help if hydraulics won´t keep up with mechanics.
my 5 previous Honda cars did not have this delay valve and all them survived my gear shiftings, even the 1992 civic. So why make sporty cars with delay valves in them?! You can´t drive them sporty when it is in there :)
So i´m not dummy who doesn´t know how shifting works and for more, this HR-V ain´t my first car ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Firstly it really isn´t in slave cylinder but it is in master and i know that for sure. Secondly, the knob won´t help if hydraulics won´t keep up with mechanics.
my 5 previous Honda cars did not have this delay valve and all them survived my gear shiftings, even the 1992 civic. So why make sporty cars with delay valves in them?! You can´t drive them sporty when it is in there :)
So i´m not dummy who doesn´t know how shifting works and for more, this HR-V ain´t my first car ;)
i think i found a solution for this, to make it a bit more acceptable: need to loosen clutch pedal stopper bolt and screw it deeper so there is as little as possible engagement by electrical switch AND need to loosen clutch pedal stopper nut and make as much as possible play to the hydraulic engagement. This way you eliminate rev hang and gears engage better ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem solved! Problem was faulty clutch master cylinder wich was replaced with warranty
I have the same issue with my 2017 LX model (25k miles)! Could you please tell us how and who identified the problem? I'm afraid that the dealer is going to say that it's normal. It can't be. Compared to my 2002 Civic, where I could "fly" through gears with negligible resistance, it's impossible to do so on the HRV. I always hit a "notch" or a "hump" going into a gear, and I have to push through it with concerning force. Also, while demonstrating this to someone, I've noticed that everything seems fine when the car is off and parked in driveway. It's incredibly frustrating while merging fast moving traffic.

·
Registered
HRV September 2020 Manual
1 Posts
Bought my HRV in September, 11 months old, right from the start I though the gearchange had issues, 1st, neutral, 2nd, neutral 3rd etc, all changes forced you to have a moments pause in neutral half way through.
I thought with Honda's racing heritage this can't be right.
Just got it back from the dealer, no fault found?
I guess I will have to live with it and learn to drive like the old farts around here in Jazz'es.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts