Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nicely done Xperience! Is that your big tires on your HRV or did you go back to stock size tires?
They look standard size in your video.

Some interesting analytical posts here. :)
As my 1st post shows, you can see that the resonator is straight thru. It's not chambered.
You are not really changing the exhaust flow or reducing back pressure or anything like that.
You are not gaining or losing power, you are not gaining or losing MPG.
That resonator is just absorbing some high frequencies.

The low cost HRV exhaust is not highly tuned and it's not even good quality 409 stainless steel.
You could buy a beautiful SS catback exhaust for US$2000 or the Mugen SS muffler for US$1000
or spend US$50 for similar results.

It looks like Xperience's replacement pipe is standard muffler shop aluminized steel with quick MIG welds like I did our HRV.
A magnet will tell you what kind of steel it is. The less the magnet sticks the better the quality SS steel!
I do recommend to paint the new pipe and welds with black VHT high heat paint.
Follow the curing process and it will last fairly well.

Next mod is to get rid of the 2 air intake resonators and bypass the throttle body heater!
Get rid of the clutter and get some cold air into the engine.

Registered
Nicely done Xperience! Is that your big tires on your HRV or did you go back to stock size tires?
They look standard size in your video.

Some interesting analytical posts here. :)
As my 1st post shows, you can see that the resonator is straight thru. It's not chambered.
You are not really changing the exhaust flow or reducing back pressure or anything like that.
You are not gaining or losing power, you are not gaining or losing MPG.
That resonator is just absorbing some high frequencies.

The low cost HRV exhaust is not highly tuned and it's not even good quality 409 stainless steel.
You could buy a beautiful SS catback exhaust for US$2000 or the Mugen SS muffler for US$1000
or spend US$50 for similar results.

It looks like Xperience's replacement pipe is standard muffler shop aluminized steel with quick MIG welds like I did our HRV.
A magnet will tell you what kind of steel it is. The less the magnet sticks the better the quality SS steel!
I do recommend to paint the new pipe and welds with black VHT high heat paint.
Follow the curing process and it will last fairly well.

Next mod is to get rid of the 2 air intake resonators and bypass the throttle body heater!
Get rid of the clutter and get some cold air into the engine.
Thanks bro! Yea, those are the same 225/65/17 tires 馃憤

Registered
2021 Honda HRV RS
Well I wasn't going to modify our HRV, but this is super simple and easily reversible if wanted.
I enjoy hot rodding everything and have a tons of experience. We have 3 other modified vehicles.
Not for everyone, not if you are worried about warranty, not if you like stock.

The mid exhaust resonator under the passenger door has always bugged me since it hangs down so low, looks terrible, plus the stock HRV sounds so lame.
While the US$1000 Mugen axle back muffler is nice, spending that much for minimal gains is not the goal.

A sawzall, a short length of 1 7/8 tubing, 5 mins of MIG'ing and done.

As suspected, the mid resonator is straight thru and weighs about 8 lbs.
You can see right thru it.

View attachment 30925

Pipe welded in place of the resonator. It's already dirty since I did this last week, plus I painted it all with high heat flat black VHT high heat paint.

View attachment 30926

So, from inside you can't really tell any sound difference. No difference at idle, driving around town, barely any difference under full throttle, even with the windows down.
Most importantly, zero drone. None. Note that I have already removed the air intake resonator prior to this.

Outside the HRV, it has a little more burble at idle and a little more raspy when revving it up.
It doesn't sound like my 5.0L Mustang but it now has a bit of attitude which was the goal.
Zero hp gains, 8 lbs lighter. Plus the HRV looks better from the passenger side.

It's louder in this sound clip than in real life. I hope this link works.

Total cost, about 1 hour and $10 worth of MIG wire and Argon, pipe in my spare steel pile, $20 worth of VHT high heat paint.
Of course, the resonator can easily be reinstalled if desired.

The off-road HRV guys should dump this resonator immediately for ground clearance!
What does removing the air intake resonator do?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
What does removing the air intake resonator do?
Answered in this thread:

This thread details an HRV owner removing the exhaust resonator with a Mugen muffler:

Registered
Hello everyone, I have a 2017 HRV. All I basically want is to make the car sound a little nicer while going out for drives. Im looking into doing some other mods like tints and getting different rims. I understand that tuning the HRV is a bit harder or even quite possibly non existent lol. I do plan on removing the resonator and changing the stock muffler. All im stuck on is which aftermarket muffler do i use. I am looking for something a little more aggressive. I have two mufflers in mind: The Vibrant Muffler and the Flowmaster 40 series. I would appreciate any help!

Registered
2021 Honda HRV RS
I don't like how the resonator sticks out too much from the passenger side, so I deleted it! Now it looks cleaner and I have more ground clearance! 馃憤 If you're curious about the sound, I've compiled before and after clips:
Sounds like a tin can tbh.
Did you get a muffler for it? Or still standard?

Registered
This resonator is meant to be somewhat sacrificial - it can take hits and scrapes that would otherwise dent the floor pan or impact the fuel tank.

The perforations inside in some cases act like golf ball divots to reduce turbulence and resonance without affecting air flow.

The other poster is wrong, an engine is an air pump - its sucks in air, compresses and ignites it and then forces it back out - Back pressure makes the engine work harder. Reducing complications, turns, bends or parts improves scavenging improves function. The most powerful engine will have the least back pressure and the highest efficiency.

This particular implementation does create turbulence at both joints. Does it make more hp, maybe but its probably better to remake the entire pipe in mandrel bent stainless the diameter of where the downpipes connects to the cat.

The fox marketing hav made 15whp with a magna flow exhaust and intake - thats roughly a 13% gain.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts