Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All the postings are so rah-rah. I think it's important to assess the negatives about the HRV. I keep saying, the HRV isn't descending from Heaven. So I'm starting a thread to list the negatives of the HRV. This isn't marriage - you're allowed to criticize a car and still buy it (no car is perfect).

1. The HRV fuel economy is frankly disappointing. The CX3 guy I talked to said expect 40 MPG (NYC show Mazda rep).

2. The HRV eye height is a bit low. These days, there's a competitive height war on American highways. If you don't sit high, you're blind. The Renegade puts you a good head higher (I've driven one).

3. It'll be choppier and noisier than we expect. I'm basing this on the Australian reviews. And on the fact that it's just a short-wheelbase car.

4. It's a hair too expensive for what you get. A good counterpoint here is the Kia Soul, which you can get for $18,000 nicely loaded. That's before you get your $3,000 discount. I'm assuming an HRV starting price of $20,000. Think about that for a minute - if you can accept a bit of ugly, you can get a similarly-equipped Soul+ for $15,000 vs an HRV at $22,000+. Boy, I can think of things to do with $7,000 in my pocket.

5. The restrictions are weird and frustrating. Gray cloth interiors mainly CVT only? No sat radio unless you buy the highest trim? All makers have restrictions, but these are really annoying.

6. Little or no dealing. Unless you use a buying service or wait, you probably won't be getting much of a discount. I don't know that, but I'm listening to what you've been telling me. For comparison, walk into a Jeep or Kia dealer and get $3,000 off MSRP almost without asking.

7. Incredible demand and they know it. They're not stupid. They know they can sell as many as they make the first year. So again you're at a disadvantage walking in the door.

8. The interior is a bit cheap-looking. I've sat in the thing at NYC. Not gross, but kind of cheap. And that big vent is really ugly.

9. It's quite under powered compared to the competition. 141 HP to motivate 2,800 lbs is not a lot of oomph.

There, that's all the negatives I can think of. Betcha I still buy one this summer...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
All the postings are so rah-rah. I think it's important to assess the negatives about the HRV. I keep saying, the HRV isn't descending from Heaven. So I'm starting a thread to list the negatives of the HRV. This isn't marriage - you're allowed to criticize a car and still buy it (no car is perfect).

1. The HRV fuel economy is frankly disappointing. The CX3 guy I talked to said expect 40 MPG (NYC show Mazda rep).

2. The HRV eye height is a bit low. These days, there's a competitive height war on American highways. If you don't sit high, you're blind. The Renegade puts you a good head higher (I've driven one).

3. It'll be choppier and noisier than we expect. I'm basing this on the Australian reviews. And on the fact that it's just a short-wheelbase car.

4. It's a hair too expensive for what you get. A good counterpoint here is the Kia Soul, which you can get for $18,000 nicely loaded. That's before you get your $3,000 discount. I'm assuming an HRV starting price of $20,000. Think about that for a minute - if you can accept a bit of ugly, you can get a similarly-equipped Soul+ for $15,000 vs an HRV at $22,000+. Boy, I can think of things to do with $7,000 in my pocket.

5. The restrictions are weird and frustrating. Gray cloth interiors mainly CVT only? No sat radio unless you buy the highest trim? All makers have restrictions, but these are really annoying.

6. Little or no dealing. Unless you use a buying service or wait, you probably won't be getting much of a discount. I don't know that, but I'm listening to what you've been telling me. For comparison, walk into a Jeep or Kia dealer and get $3,000 off MSRP almost without asking.

7. Incredible demand and they know it. They're not stupid. They know they can sell as many as they make the first year. So again you're at a disadvantage walking in the door.

8. The interior is a bit cheap-looking. I've sat in the thing at NYC. Not gross, but kind of cheap. And that big vent is really ugly.

9. It's quite under powered compared to the competition. 141 HP to motivate 2,800 lbs is not a lot of oomph.

There, that's all the negatives I can think of. Betcha I still buy one this summer...

I think you got a lot of these right.

The only one I think might be different is the noise. I know I definitely heard it is getting sound insulation the Vezel did not get. I don't know if the Aussie version got that insulation.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The glaring concern for me is whether it can tow. The specification is absent from Jeff's information and that is show-stopper for me. The manual Jeep Renegade cannot tow either, so if the HR-V cannot tow at all, then I suppose I'm back to the CX-5, despite some of its shortcomings.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
This is a long shot, but do you think steering people toward the CVT by limited color choices and transmissions is a way to make sure they keep a good CAFE standard average, being that CVT gets better mpg?

I actually believe it is possible to get the same mpg with a properly driven manual, but the CVT "forces" you to make the right fuel saving shifts by built in settings.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's actually a very good point. CAFE requirements are driving a LOT of automaker decisions these days. And the CAFE numbers zoom in the next decade.

I kind of like it. It means the guys buying $35,000 trucks indirectly subsidize my HRV.

·
Registered
316 Posts

I agree, NO car is perfect. However I will address each of your points individually.

1. I believe the HR-V has top of class mileage. I know I get better than listed mileage in all of my previous Hondas. The HR-V mileage is in line with other Honda models. The Mazda reference of 40 was that for the Mazda or Honda?

2. I agree the height is a little disappointing, but in line with most of the competition.

3. Prove it. We have no objective description of the noisiness of this car. The wheelbase is only a few inches shorter than the CR-V.

4. Kia Soul is an established model, not anew model. Give the HR-V a few years to become established.

5. Honda's model lineup has always avoided individual options. They build a model with 3 or 4 trim levels that appeal to a large group of buyers. Seems to work for them (Honda).

6. Again a brand new model, give it some time to develop inventory. In time they will start to deal.

7. You are criticizing them for doing their job and doing it well? You want them to put out a car with low demand?

8. This is not a luxury model, they have to make some cutbacks to keep price down.

9. It's not a sports car. It's weight to power ratio is better than the original CR-V. I owned a first generation CR-V and it had sufficient power.

Most of your negatives compared the Honda to one other model (shorter than the Jeep, more expensive then the Kia, Mazda has better mileage), if you don't like it don't buy it. No one is forcing you. Most people on this forum like it, not that they wouldn't like to see a few changes here or there, but like you said no car is perfect. There is no such thing as a perfect car. What would be a perfect car for you might not be perfect for me. Honda seems to do a pretty good job of making a well made car, that people want, at an affordable price.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think most people on this forum have been very clear what they don't like about the HR-V, yet they are still very interested.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks, scooterct. I think it's essential to evaluate risk / worst-case / trade-offs to be sure you're being realistic and not carried away by blind enthusiasm.

None of your points are show-stoppers for me, but some of it rankles, and will make it easier to walk away if the car in the flesh disappoints.

I also understand that you're not criticizing Honda for its success, just evaluating pros and cons from a shopper's perspective.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The glaring concern for me is whether it can tow. The specification is absent from Jeff's information and that is show-stopper for me. The manual Jeep Renegade cannot tow either, so if the HR-V cannot tow at all, then I suppose I'm back to the CX-5, despite some of its shortcomings.
The aussie car has, I think, a 500 lb (or is that kg?) towing capacity. It should be the same car, so theoretically capable of the same; just maybe not possible to advertise as such because of NA regulations?

If I wanted to tow a light load, my only concern would be insurance if it's not officially sanctioned.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am really bummed that the in dash snocone dispenser only offers 5 flavors. If you opt for the expresso machine instead don't expect whip on that latte, Honda really cheaped out and forced folks to mostly settle for plain old Americano. Sheesh. I guess I will pony up another 50 grand and buy the Porsche Macan. That cool badge is so worth it.<P>

·
Registered
80 Posts
A couple of things for me.

1 - No power seats. Honda's not alone in not offering this in an entry-level car.

This would have been a nice car for me and my wife but it would be
a real pain to keep changing the seat adjustments.

2 - Unlike the Fit you must buy the Navi to get the leather trim.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think Top Speed made one really good point - when comparing the HRV to other cars, I picked the best in class in each area. If I could go back and restart this topic, I'd change the title and focus to "Who's best in class at "X"".

Car design is all about compromise. In this class the Juke Nismo kicks performance butt, but it does so at the cost of losing utility. The Kia Soul kicks butt in value for the dollar, but it does so at the cost of being butt-ugly (and I own one). The CX3 looks like it'll kick fuel economy butt, but again at the cost of storage space. And the Renegade kicks 4WD and ride height butt, but at the cost of sophistication and fuel economy and maybe reliability.

But if I'm going to pony up another 50 (100?) grand or so, I'm getting a Ferrari emblem.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I am really bummed that the in dash snocone dispenser only offers 5 flavors. If you opt for the expresso machine instead don't expect whip on that latte, Honda really cheaped out and forced folks to mostly settle for plain old Americano. Sheesh. I guess I will pony up another 50 grand and buy the Porsche Macan. That cool badge is so worth it.<P>
What???? Only five flavors?? That does it.....I'm out!!!!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
From this news article , production started February 17th in Mexico. Judging by the pictures there appear to be a lot of cars on the line. It is now two months later so I imagine the stock is building to a good amount for May 1st.
http://www.honda.mx/rp/nuevo-honda-hr-v-2016-comienza-produccion-en-mexico/

I don't mean to imply that there are enough cars at present to fully stock every dealer, but hopefully in another month there will be quite a few of them.

P.S. There are no reports of quality issues AFTER this news story so that shouldn't be a limiting factor in the buildup of inventory.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am concerned about the touchscreen climate system. Will I be able to easily use it with winter gloves on?

Also, controlling the infotainment system with a commander knob would have been great.

Overall I think the HRV offers a lot of features for the price.

By the way, I head a cotton candy unit is planned for a later upgrade...

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've actually started a list of all of the things that I'm concerned about with the car that will only be answerable by a test drive, some of my top concerns are the following....

1) Infotainment use (many Fit owners complain about it being hard to use)

2) Touchscreen climate controls

3) Form over function issues (rear door handle, C-pillar size / visibility, front cubby difficult to access)

4) Seat comfort has been a complaint in Honda Fits, this might be too personal for the list

5) New factory and first model year, not usually as reliable as established models

6) Cup holders aren't the ones found in the Vezel, look too wide front to back and may not be supportive

7) Very small center console storage

8) Android support is lacking (by the way, you can check if your phone will work here (http://handsfreelink.com/Honda/en-US/US/FindAPhone I used the 2015 Fit as a surrogate since the HR-V isn't listed on their yet)

9) Lane watch might be annoying (however my understanding is that it can be deactivated)

10) Likely a bit of a slow poke in the power department

11) The color I want isn't offered here in the USA....WHERE'S MY CARNELIAN RED HONDA!!!! I can get dark red in just about all of the competition.

I have more, but I think they're too personal to me to list here. Many of my items I just need to see and use to figure out if they're really negatives, or something that I can live with, or not problems at all. At least with the touch screen issues I could go with an LX, but I really want the tinted windows and fog lights of an EX and I'm also worried about potentially less sound insulation in the LX.....still working hard to find out for sure on that.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I am concerned about the touch controlled climate system. Will I be able to easily use it with winter gloves on?

Also, controlling the infotainment system with a commander knob would have been great.

Overall I think the HRV offers a lot of features for the price.

By the way, I heard a cotton candy unit is planned for a later upgrade...
Yikes! I hope the cotton candy unit isn't hooked up to the touch screen. Talk about obstructed view when it piles up higher than the dashboard because of a less than accurate touch!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well at least we see who the Honda "fanboys" are.

Yikes! I hope the cotton candy unit isn't hooked up to the touch screen. Talk about obstructed view when it piles up higher than the dashboard because of a less than accurate touch!
Can't say anything critical or comment about what you would like.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I've actually started a list of all of the things that I'm concerned about with the car that will only be answerable by a test drive, some of my top concerns are the following....

1) Infotainment use (many Fit owners complain about it being hard to use)

2) Touchscreen climate controls

3) Form over function issues (rear door handle, C-pillar size / visibility, front cubby difficult to access)

4) Seat comfort has been a complaint in Honda Fits, this might be too personal for the list

5) New factory and first model year, not usually as reliable as established models

6) Cup holders aren't the ones found in the Vezel, look too wide front to back and may not be supportive

7) Very small center console storage

8) Android support is lacking (by the way, you can check if your phone will work here (http://handsfreelink.com/Honda/en-US/US/FindAPhone I used the 2015 Fit as a surrogate since the HR-V isn't listed on their yet)

9) Lane watch might be annoying (however my understanding is that it can be deactivated)

10) Likely a bit of a slow poke in the power department

11) The color I want isn't offered here in the USA....WHERE'S MY CARNELIAN RED HONDA!!!! I can get dark red in just about all of the competition.

I have more, but I think they're too personal to me to list here. Many of my items I just need to see and use to figure out if they're really negatives, or something that I can live with, or not problems at all. At least with the touch screen issues I could go with an LX, but I really want the tinted windows and fog lights of an EX and I'm also worried about potentially less sound insulation in the LX.....still working hard to find out for sure on that.
Derm,
I am just going by what Jeff posted, but I didn't see anything there when they mentioned sound deadening that it was an extra feature of the EX and EX-L.
Also in that film that was posted it looked like the carpeting they were installing was really thick like the sound insulation was already attached.

Doesn't mean absolutely for sure that the LX will have it, but I found the above mentioned things a bit more reassuring.

Like you said, there is so much we won't know for sure until we actually see the darn things in real life.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Can't say anything critical or comment about what you would like.
Huh?!? If you're joking, I don't get it. If you're serious, I really don't get it.

You seem to be confusing a positive nature for a lack of critical thinking. Bicepeak has been very critical, e.g., of the touch-screen climate controls, and clear about his other disappointments and complaints, all without losing his hopes and enthusiasm for the car. If that's fanboyism, count me in.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts