Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at this vehicle review site The Car Connection and compared my 2016 HRV with a 2021 model and was a bit shocked that the 2016 rating was 7.8, and the 2021 was 5.2. That's quite a drop when one would expect things to improve with each new model. Could it be that the competition has gotten better and Honda just hasn't kept up?

M

·
Registered
415 Posts
I was at this vehicle review site The Car Connection and compared my 2016 HRV with a 2021 model and was a bit shocked that the 2016 rating was 7.8, and the 2021 was 5.2. That's quite a drop when one would expect things to improve with each new model. Could it be that the competition has gotten better and Honda just hasn't kept up?

M
they have not made many changes since 2016 - so its possible in comparison to others they will drop.
Next year is the redesign year in NA market 2022 (I think)

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
169 Posts
The HR-V is a relatively unsophisticated vehicle compared to its competitors, some of whom have moved the class on hugely. When it came out in 2015 (UK) the HR-V could boast a Euro NCAP safety rating of 5 stars out of 5, however, if the same vehicle was to be put through the current test it would lose at least one, if not 2 stars as whereas Euro NCAP have upped their game, Honda have not.

I cannot comment on the US market, but in the UK the HR-V was a bit of a niche model, not helped by the fact Honda UK decided not to offer it with AWD, as they did not want it to steal sales from the CR-V. On price and size, the Skoda Karoq is in the same market as the HR-V and also came out around the same time. It can also be had with AWD. If I did not have such a bad dealership experience* with my previous Skoda, this would be sat on my drive, and not the HR-V.

*having said that, I've just noticed my local Honda dealership have scratched the buggery out of my OSR door whilst it was in for its service a fortnight ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have viewed/read multiple reviews.
ALL seem to want to go FAST.
On normal driving the HR-V is just fine.
Why reviewers want to go fast on acceleration is beyond me.
I DO NOT want any turbo. Yet all of the reviewers just love the turbos.
We got the 2020 HR-V because it has a naturally aspirated engine. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
169 Posts
The main reason I purchased the HRI-V was due to it being a na petrol as this eliminated worrying about clogging up the DPF with too many short journeys, and that I would not suffer the same Squeaky Bum situation when driving on the outside lane during peak traffic on the busiest motorway in the Central Belt, and the turbo breather pipe fractured leading to turbo failure.

As much as I stili do miss the almost instant acceleration a turbo diesel gives you at low revs, I've learnt to modulate my driving style to reflect the more sedate driving characteristics of the 1.5 iVTEC na petrol. Having said that, the bhp and 0-62mph times are similar for both vehicles, and all that is required to join a busy motorway from the slip road is to drop a few cogs and let the iVTEC do its thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts