Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is anyone considering the Forester? I live in the Siberia of America and would like the benefits of AWD. For the Forester Premium, dealers are giving me quotes around 23-24k plus doc fee and ttyl. I am thinking this is the same price and possibly less than the HRV LX AWD. Please add on or correct my info.

Pros Forester:

long production history, i.e. known reliability (save those oil consumption posts)
excellent safety: crash test results some of the top
AWD: real AWD, all the time
pretty good gas mileage for vehicle size & AWD: 26mpg in Consumer Reports tests (EPA estimates are higher)
historically low repair costs
low insurance premiums
great visibility (usually rated top 3 of all cars)

Minuses Forester:

bland aesthetics inside and out (my opinion)
semi-choppy ride
small video screen

Pros HRV:

nicer looking
Magic seat
Honda (I like Honda a lot more than Subaru but this is just emotional "data")

Unknowns HRV:

reliability for the first year model, especially with new plant and transport issues (although Civic engine and Fit transmission?)
quality control, I assume Honda will fix all (any) initial bugs
might be more expensive than comparable Forester for first six months
crash test ratings (Vezel seems to do well in Japanese tests--but Japan also doesn't have pick-ups and large SUV all over their roads)
Supposedly no Android support

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really liked the Forester when I got the chance to take a look at it. I need to run some numbers but the Premium level with EyeSight is pretty compelling to me at the moment.

It's a little bigger than I want but the gas mileage is at least as good as what I decided my "minimum" requirement was and the AWD would be nice for those times we decide to visit relatives in Colorado anytime between mid-fall to mid-spring. ;)

I also looked at a CX-5 and a CR-V but I didn't get the chance to test drive (still) because I decided I didn't want to get behind the wheel of a car I didn't own while it was pouring rain. Hopefully I can fix that soon.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The Forester for me is a big time contender......IF it didn't have the oil problems. I would more comfortable if Subaru came out and said, "Yes, we messed up and we'll fix it", but instead they are going to fight the oil consumption and say that it's "normal".

It's well known that Subaru engines before the current generation would blow head gaskets when they got near 100,000 miles. They never addressed that problem with consumers as it was occuring. When they did the redesign they picked up this oil consumption problem, and I don't see Subaru doing anything other than burying their heads in the sand on the issue.

With all of that said, it will be interesting to see the 2016 Forester with the new infotainment system that it will be getting. Other than the oil issue (and the looks), the Forester does/has everything that I'm looking for.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Minuses Forester:

bland aesthetics inside and out (my opinion)
Other than the oil issue (and the looks), the Forester does/has everything that I'm looking for.
Hey! Go easy on the Forester's looks! I may be in the minority--ok, I AM in the minority, but I happen to like the design: good visibility, lots of usable interior space, and...I can can't think of a 3rd thing. :| But I still like it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Eh, my Saturn currently burns oil at a greater rate than most of the Forester reports and, from what I've read anecdotally, the issue does appear to be fixed in the latest batches. So really, if it's fixed that's great and if it's not then I'm still in a far better position than I am now.

I do realize that burning oil is a problem but it's probably not as big a worry to me as it would be to a fair number of others.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not the Forester, but possibly the Impreza. A friend just bought an Accord, after driving her Outback for many years (no major problems I'm aware of).

I have a 2003 Matrix with 181,000 miles, and would buy another one, but Toyota discontinued it........ I does what I need it to do. (We've owned several Toyota models over the years.) I looked at the Fit last fall and thought it might be too small, and the CR-V too large for my needs. That's when the salesman mentioned the HR-V (said it "should be" out by the end of the year (2014)). Still waiting......... Internet guy at a dealership in NW AR told me it "should be" on their lot by May 14th.

I did test drive the CR-V, the RAV-4, and the Impreza. I looked at a Hyundai Elantra GT last fall, and really liked the looks of it, but MPG wasn't all that great, considering its size. No Elantra hatchbacks this year, according to their website. I'm hoping I'll really like the HR-V, and that it will fit my needs (hauling bags of dog food, stuff from the garden center, etc.), but I'm also concerned about the "unknowns", too..........

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've always liked the Forester's looks, but it's grown too big for my needs or taste. I know this is the HRV v Forester thread, but I'm curious nobody's mentioned the Crosstrek... seems like a more direct comparison to me. I also like the looks, and the size, but no manual kills it for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Part of my vetting process is making my husband sit in the vehicle. The crosstrek didn't have the visibility expected, even with the seat all the way down, for his long-torsoed 6'2" self.

That's at least why I'm not talking about them.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've always liked the Forester's looks, but it's grown too big for my needs or taste. I know this is the HRV v Forester thread, but I'm curious nobody's mentioned the Crosstrek... seems like a more direct comparison to me. I also like the looks, and the size, but no manual kills it for me.
That is a good point and on the grand scheme of things, that is what I can imagine most of the crossover of potential of HRV shoppers will also be considering, the Crosstrek. I was even on a Crossterk forum which a lot of HRV talk could be found on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey! Go easy on the Forester's looks! I may be in the minority--ok, I AM in the minority, but I happen to like the design: good visibility, lots of usable interior space, and...I can can't think of a 3rd thing. :| But I still like it.
Sorry to diss on the Forester. Overall it seems like a great SUV. And plenty of people can vouch for it. I am even thinking of purchasing one just because it seem so practical. I tried the Mazda kool-aid of zoom zoom but for me the CX-5 had too much road and wind noise. With the radio off (I usually drive and think--yes a bad habit), the car sounded like I had the windows rolled down.

And more pros for Forester: great visibility and space

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not the Forester, but possibly the Impreza. A friend just bought an Accord, after driving her Outback for many years (no major problems I'm aware of).
I too liked the Impreza hatchback/Crosstrek. Although they are pretty noisy (you can see that I dislike road noise), I liked how they drove. The interior of the 2015 was updated and now they all include a nice big screen that reminds me of the new Camrys. I was going to pull the trigger on the Impreza (no oil consumption on this model that I could find for 2015) until I got insurance quotes. Turns out the Impreza was $210 more to insure per year than a Forester/Legacy/Outback. So, that averaged over the life of the car (I assumed 10 years) made it more logical to buy the Forester. Just a thought when running the numbers. I was comparing Impreza CVT Premium with Forester Premium CVT w/cold weather package.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts