Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was talking to my neighbour yesterday. Like us, he and his wife own several vehicles and a muscle car but he is not a technical guy.
It turns out his 2019 Toyota 4Runner has spent more time at the dealer than his garage and he wants to dump it.
(Surprising for a 4Runner)

So he was asking me about a Honda CRV a few years old. I know nothing about these but I said I prefer Honda's and our little HRV has been great.

A little research shows that a used 2017-2019 CRV is barely more expensive than an equivalent used 2017-2019 HRV.
Plus the 2016+ CRV's also have a lame CVT trans.
A heavy CRV with a naturally aspirated 2.4L engine with a CVT would be even slower than the HRV.

A quick search shows about 35 2017+ HRV's for sale in our area.
Same search shows about 150 2017+ CRV's for sale in our area. A crazy difference.

What gives? A new CRV lists way more than a new HRV so the depreciation on a CRV is huge, much more than an HRV.
Not many discuss CRV's on this forum for some reason. It is a completely different vehicle and a different market.

Any input? I am not an SUV guy at all so I might be missing something here..

Reactions: John35g

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well, in the automotive press the 2020 CRV wins awards -while the HR-V has fallen in the rankings a bit - it was like 3rd best when i bought mine, not anymore.
You say heavy- but how much heavier etc ?
More options available on the CRV too - the HRV was 3 packages total at one point.

I dont think honda saw the HR-V as anything other than filling a spot in the market - then they realized the mistake, killed the FIT and improved the CRV, and the next gen HR-V is probably goign to be more polished than what is on the road today.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since this is an HRV forum that is why the CRV is not discussed. 😃

CRV sales are much much bigger than HRVs so not unusual to have more for sale. Kind of like the RAV4 and the ChR.

Yes but someone brought up a Civic Type R in a thread and then the recent Subaru thread plus the Mazda SUV discussions!

I think you are correct that Honda sells a ton more CRV's than the HRV's and that skews the numbers.
Not sure how that affects the depreciation though.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The magic seat and the copious cargo capacity is the only reason I own an HR-V and not a CR-V or some other compact crossover. Those features are worth it to me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used to own a CR-V....their engines are waaaaay better, but the rest of the car is about the same. It is nice to be able to tow a little without fear of voiding the warranty

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Pretty easy decision. If want more room, have the money, and bigger engine, go with the CRV. If you want better MPG, spend less money, and don't mind less room, go with the HRV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Went looking at CR-V.
Old school.
Don't want a turbo. Yes, I know those that have them like them.
Nor do I want anything to do with Start/Stop. Yes, they say one gets used to it. And can be turned off each trip.
Just old school.
Got a 2020 HR-V. Touring. New leftover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts