Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused!!!! I had a Fit that was totaled and I am thinking about witing to replace it with the HRV. One big consideration in my mind is the slightly larger Civic engine. Will this make the HRV a little bit better performance-wise? Especially with pick-up at an intersection.

Here is my confusion. The Civic engine is only about 8 Horse Power larger. But the HRV is several hundred pounds heavier. It seems to me the HRV will have a WORSE Horsepower to Weight ratio. Not only so, but the HRV will sit higher, which seems like it would create more wind resistance and looser handling?????

If I am basically holding out for the HRV because I think it will have more "get up and go" than my Fit had am I just fooling myself???

PLEASE HELP! I do not want to wait for nothing, nor do I want to pay more money and end up with less of a car in terms of drive-ability. I really don't care that much about all the tech stuff.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am confused!!!! I had a Fit that was totaled and I am thinking about witing to replace it with the HRV. One big consideration in my mind is the slightly larger Civic engine. Will this make the HRV a little bit better performance-wise? Especially with pick-up at an intersection.

Here is my confusion. The Civic engine is only about 8 Horse Power larger. But the HRV is several hundred pounds heavier. It seems to me the HRV will have a WORSE Horsepower to Weight ratio. Not only so, but the HRV will sit higher, which seems like it would create more wind resistance and looser handling?????

If I am basically holding out for the HRV because I think it will have more "get up and go" than my Fit had am I just fooling myself???

PLEASE HELP! I do not want to wait for nothing, nor do I want to pay more money and end up with less of a car in terms of drive-ability. I really don't care that much about all the tech stuff.
It is expected that the weight of the HR-V should be about the same as the weight of the Civic, therefore HP to weight ratio would also be the same. The HR-V does get as good gas milage as the Civic partially due to greater wind resistance

·
Registered
751 Posts
2015 Fit: 2570lb, 130hp, 5.06 ratio
2016 HR-V: 2800lb, 138hp, 4.93 ratio

Close enough to call it a wash in terms of hp to weight; there'll be more difference than that due to different engine dynamics, transmission, and subjective factors. If it's the CVT you're interested in, reviewers have said it's surprisingly quick off the line... subjectively.

But if "pick up at an intersection" is important to you, I would keep your expectations of the HR-V in check. It's unlikely to wow you in that regard.

As I've expressed elsewhere, I think power is over-weighted by most people, considering their real use of the car. But that's just me.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
2015 Fit: 2570lb, 130hp, 5.06 ratio
2016 HR-V: 2800lb, 138hp, 4.93 ratio

Close enough to call it a wash in terms of hp to weight; there'll be more difference than that due to different engine dynamics, transmission, and subjective factors. If it's the CVT you're interested in, reviewers have said it's surprisingly quick off the line... subjectively.

But if "pick up at an intersection" is important to you, I would keep your expectations of the HR-V in check. It's unlikely to wow you in that regard.

As I've expressed elsewhere, I think power is over-weighted by most people, considering their real use of the car. But that's just me.
Agree on the expectations. This is not a sports car. You could wait for the eventual turbo.

Wouldn't Ex and EX-L moonroof add a little weight?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm not sure if it'll make any difference, but the Fit engine is an "Earth Dreams" while the HR-V is a VTEC. It might make direct comparisons a little off (like comparing apples to oranges). I'm not sure how the two engines might differ on performance, but I would assume there must be some different technology going on for them to have two different names.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Now that we are talking engines. Would it be safe to say that the V-tec is an old reliable, proven engine...and that is a good thing?
I think so, it's been around for 10 years or so in the Civic and is known to be a very reliable engine (if dated at this point).

·
Registered
751 Posts
My 2003 Acura has a vtec, and it's been super reliable. Burns oil now that it's getting on in years (150,000km+), which is apparently a known characteristic of the type, but not a big deal as long as you stay on top of it.

The other characteristic is the power band: there's a noticeable surge in power starting around 4500 rpm. A little reminiscent of a turbo, but without the lag. Another reason I like a manual, so I control when and where to use the extra power.

Of course I'm sure the engines have changed quite a bit over the years, so all that could be moot.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I am not so sure I would put the word performance into the context of HRV and Fit. Both of these vehicles are geared for maximum fuel economy so if you're looking for something with horsepower then you need to be looking more at the Accord and/or Pilot :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
How long of a wait until a turbo model is available? I have much more interest in a turbo HRV.

Thanks
Nobody has any idea. I would expect that Honda will wait for some period of time to gauge how sales are going, but I would think at least a year if not longer (speculation on my part). Also it might help if Honda was to use one of the new turbos in any other model first which they have not done yet. As of now Honda has not used the turbos so we don't even know if they are ready for 'prime time'.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Problem with a turbo is more service required, lower MPG, and higher price.

Thanks but no thanks, defeats the purpose of why most of us are interested in the HRV to begin with.

Nobody has any idea. I would expect that Honda will wait for some period of time to gauge how sales are going, but I would think at least a year if not longer (speculation on my part). Also it might help if Honda was to use one of the new turbos in any other model first which they have not done yet. As of now Honda has not used the turbos so we don't even know if they are ready for 'prime time'.

·
Registered
10 Posts
HRV vs Fit

the FIT is a higher rated vehicle than the HRV on vehicle review websites that I've seen. Sites such as The Car Connection and Car and driver. (Rating usually 5 stars compared to 3 or 4 for HRV)

I have the 2015 Fit and love it.

Fit advantages:
---More space efficient. Fit has same passenger space as HRV but more compact exterior. (better for maneuvering in city traffic)
---Faster acceleration.
---better gas milage
---Better handling. (lower centre of gravity)
---Lower price

HRV advantages:
---somewhat quiter engine
---Smoother ride.
---4 wheel drive available. (most buyers don't buy 4 wheel drive)

I believe a HRV choice often has more to do with "Image". It is a little larger on the outside and appears even larger due to its SUV/CROSSOVER look.

·
Registered
231 Posts
the FIT is a higher rated vehicle than the HRV on vehicle review websites that I've seen. Sites such as The Car Connection and Car and driver. (Rating usually 5 stars compared to 3 or 4 for HRV)

I have the 2015 Fit and love it.

Fit advantages:
---More space efficient. Fit has same passenger space as HRV but more compact exterior. (better for maneuvering in city traffic)
---Faster acceleration.
---better gas milage
---Better handling. (lower centre of gravity)
---Lower price

HRV advantages:
---somewhat quiter engine
---Smoother ride.
---4 wheel drive available. (most buyers don't buy 4 wheel drive)

I believe a HRV choice often has more to do with "Image". It is a little larger on the outside and appears even larger due to its SUV/CROSSOVER look.
I like the idea of the Fit, but it's not for me.

HRV advantages not listed that are important to me:
---50% more seats up cargo space
---6 cu ft more seats down cargo space
---Higher ground clearance (for non-city driving, ease of access, snow, better visibility)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Let's not get hung up on the VTEC thing. Most (if not all) Honda engines have some form of VTEC, including the EarthDreams line. The biggest difference in the EarthDreams engines is that they are direct injected and have a higher compression ratio, which leads to a better, more efficient fuel burn.

The 1.5T is an EarthDreams engine and is being sold currently in at least one Japanese vehicle (Step WGN, http://blog.caranddriver.com/japan-market-minivan-cool-new-honda-step-wgn/). It has also been announced that the new 2016 Civic (due out this fall) will be the first North American application of the engine, utilizing it in the upper trim levels. The output of the 1.5T in the Step WGN application is 148hp/150lb-ft of torque.

Any speculation that the HR-V will receive the 1.5T is based off the idea that the HR-V uses the Civic engine now, so why wouldn't it get the 1.5T when the Civic gets that this fall. The one caveat to that idea is that the lower model Civics will get an all-new 2.0L engine, so the HR-V could borrow that one instead of the turbo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts