Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for a new car for commuting. No need for a big car but prefer to have ground clearance for winter driving in NY
Always wanted a civic, but fear ground clearance not enough in the slow
CR-V too big for my taste plus no manual option
HRV is perfect in both size and manual transmission. The only other compact SUV that offer manual I find so far is Subaru Crosstrek.
HRV has better fuel economy over crosstrek, 25/33 vs 23/29 city/highway, as well as push button start, a nice feature to have
But Crosstrek has Carplay/Android Auto, as well as better ground clearance, 8.7" vs 6.7".

So, is Absence of Carplay/Android Auto a deal breaker for you?:| please share your thoughts;)
Thanks,

·
Registered
864 Posts
Wasn't for me as I got the LX and spent the savings on Weathertech and seat covers. Plus I did not need the AWD.

If you get the Crosstrek see if they will provide different rims. I love the Crosstrek except for the rims.

Both cars are excellent values.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I didn't event think about the cross trek, honestly, because I love hondas. Period.

CarPlay would have been nice, but it wasn't a deal breaker. I don't use apple maps, streaming via Bluetooth works a breeze CarPlay or not.

At the end of the day, I'm more concerned about performance, reliability, and cost of maintenance.

Besides, don't ask us. You'll be the one who will have to live with your decision--and none of us are taking any blame!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wasn't for me as I got the LX and spent the savings on Weathertech and seat covers. Plus I did not need the AWD.

If you get the Crosstrek see if they will provide different rims. I love the Crosstrek except for the rims.

Both cars are excellent values.
Not a fan for AWD either. I am going for HRV EX level. I would pull the trigger without a blink if not for the absence of Carplay.
What weaethertech you get? How come I don't see any packages available.
Crosstrek does provide 3 trims. But Subaru brand name just doesn't resonate with me:(.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't event think about the cross trek, honestly, because I love hondas. Period.

CarPlay would have been nice, but it wasn't a deal breaker. I don't use apple maps, streaming via Bluetooth works a breeze CarPlay or not.

At the end of the day, I'm more concerned about performance, reliability, and cost of maintenance.

Besides, don't ask us. You'll be the one who will have to live with your decision--and none of us are taking any blame!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I prefer Carplay just for hands free navigation/answer calls/messages. Never really used it before.
I love hondas too:laugh:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obviously not because I bought the HR-V... but my next car will have to have Carplay. I've had it in numerous rentals and it makes things significantly easier.
I see numerous posts on this forum about petition for Carplay, got be a reason for it, right?
Btw, I just saw a demo that Android Auto can be used as a standalone app. But it would still be nicer to have it on the screen, so you don't need to get a vent mont.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Not a fan for AWD either. I am going for HRV EX level. I would pull the trigger without a blink if not for the absence of Carplay.
Crosstrek does provide 3 trims. But Subaru brand name just doesn't resonate with me:(.
Weathertech is nice as you can insert your vehicle and the accessories pop up. I ended up with the two front mats, the backseat one piece mat, and the cargo liner

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Weathertech is nice as you can insert your vehicle and the accessories pop up. I ended up with the two front mats, the backseat one piece mat, and the cargo liner
Thanks. I see. I may get some seat covers too just to keep clean.
Now I am more and more inclined to HR-V. But, gosh, would be nice to have Carplay!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The civic hatch get you a little better clearance, and has CarPlay
Do confirm you actually need AWD, I live in northern Ontario and have the HRV ex in 2WD with winter tires, it's fine
If you need 4WD the crosstrek is a nice alternative make sure you test drive them both
Subaru makes great 4WD, but they did have the recent class action law suit with engine problems

·
Super Moderator
1,467 Posts
Wait for 2018 models, EX and above should have CarPlay/android auto.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The civic hatch get you a little better clearance, and has CarPlay
Do confirm you actually need AWD, I live in northern Ontario and have the HRV ex in 2WD with winter tires, it's fine
If you need 4WD the crosstrek is a nice alternative make sure you test drive them both
Subaru makes great 4WD, but they did have the recent class action law suit with engine problems
I don't think civic hatch has more clearance than HR-V. But I don't really need that much, just enough to get around snowy city roads, not off road.
I plan to get HRV EX in 2WD and in manual. I don't feel AWD necessary. Worst come worst, snow tires solve, like what you have. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I don't think civic hatch has more clearance than HR-V. But I don't really need that much, just enough to get around snowy city roads, not off road.
I plan to get HRV EX in 2WD and in manual. I don't feel AWD necessary. Worst come worst, snow tires solve, like what you have. :laugh:
Sorry I didn't properly finish my thought.
The Civic Hatch (5.24) has better clearance then the Civic Sedan (4.92)
I have both the 2017 Hatch 1.5 Turbo with carplay, and 2016 EX HR-V 2WD, they both have strengths.

I had started a list of HR-V 2WD vs 4WD benefits:
lower cost
lower weight
better fuel economy
higher reliability
lower maintenance cost
increased storage space
Peppier performance
Cheaper Insurance

I live in town, so if there is a 3 year blizzard event, I"ll just call it a snow day like everyone else and stay home!;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm confused. You want ground clearance for winter driving, but you don't like AWD?

Are you sure your priorities are in the right order here? HPH
I have both the 2017 Hatch 1.5 Turbo with carplay, and 2016 EX HR-V 2WD, they both have strengths.

lower cost
lower weight
better fuel economy
higher reliability
lower maintenance cost
increased storage space
Peppier performance
Cheaper Insurance

I live in town, so if there is a 3 year blizzard event, I"ll just call it a snow day like everyone else and stay home!;)
DrCloud, I do want good clearance for winter driving, but I don't like AWD for reasons very similar as listed by ddemetra. For example, AWD CRV only gains 0.4" clearance over 2WD, or 8.2" vs 7.8".
I do know the benefits of AWD, but 2WD would perform fine in winter, especially with winter tires, no problem at all.
I do admit that AWD is easier to re-sell, as people just fancy AWDs but forget about its reliability and maintenance cost relative to 2WD, again, ddemetra puts it very well:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

lower cost
lower weight
better fuel economy
higher reliability
lower maintenance cost
increased storage space
Peppier performance
Cheaper Insurance

Couldn't have said it better than this! But feedback from CR-V owners says that AWD is easier to re-sell. People are more into AWDs than 2WD, even though 2WD with winter tires is unstoppable. See here (
).
What can we do? Keep CR-V/HR-V forever? Lol:laugh:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Couldn't have said it better than this! But feedback from CR-V owners says that AWD is easier to re-sell. People are more into AWDs than 2WD, even though 2WD with winter tires is unstoppable. See here (
).
What can we do? Keep CR-V/HR-V forever? Lol
Ive always thought
4WD helps you accelerate, 1 direction
Winter tire help you accelerate, decelerate, and turning, all directions

But I've never seen an a comparison video like that, very informative
I have a friend of mine that bought a 4WD HRV but passed on the winter tires as its 4WD, I was shocked how much better the 2wd did climbing the hill
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ive always thought
4WD helps you accelerate, 1 direction
Winter tire help you accelerate, decelerate, and turning, all directions

But I've never seen an a comparison video like that, very informative
I have a friend of mine that bought a 4WD HRV but passed on the winter tires as its 4WD, I was shocked how much better the 2wd did climbing the hill
Thanks for sharing
Haha. 4WD with snow tires still beat 2WD with snow tires though, as shown at the end of the video. But for >90% people in >90% cases, 2WD with snow tires is enough. And cheaper, reliable.
With that said, I may still get an AWD, because I want to be able to re-sell. :| Unless I want to keep it until it dies (not a bad idea either:laugh:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts