Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have the ex manual with snow tires, I was always that ******* passing people on snow covered roads because it handles great in the snow.

I've used android auto, I loved it in big cities like NYC and San Francisco, but hated that I had to plug my phone I to USB for it to work. My older android also would drain the battery faster than the built-in USB port could charge, and you have to use the built in USB because it uses that for data. I use Bluetooth in my hrv, it just turns on when I sit down, no cable needed.

Make sure to test drive the HRV though, some find the seats uncomfortable. The manual should help with acceleration, I have no issues there

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have the ex manual with snow tires, I was always that ******* passing people on snow covered roads because it handles great in the snow.

I've used android auto, I loved it in big cities like NYC and San Francisco, but hated that I had to plug my phone I to USB for it to work. My older android also would drain the battery faster than the built-in USB port could charge, and you have to use the built in USB because it uses that for data. I use Bluetooth in my hrv, it just turns on when I sit down, no cable needed.

Make sure to test drive the HRV though, some find the seats uncomfortable. The manual should help with acceleration, I have no issues there

Thank you! Bluetooth would work fine for phone calls, but one can only listen to navigations. It would be nice for it to show up on the screen. Plus, Android Auto takes voice command, which is nice.
Thanks for the advice for testing driving. I am checking CR-V and HR-V tomorrow.
I always feel uncomfortable when trying something but not buying it. If sales person ask for my personal info like phone #, can I refuse? I don't want to commit to anything or be called. This is my first time buying a new car, btw

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
For those who is interested in Android Auto, which can be used standalone now. Check the video below
I just started experimenting it. Compared to Bluetooth, the main advantage offered by Android Auto/Apple Carplay is that they take voice command. which means you can use Siri/Okey Google to reply as well as initiate calls/SMS, ask for directions, weather, play music, etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If I lived in the north (I don't) and was worried about snowy conditions, I'd get the CrossTrek. It's a good vehicle. And Subaru's all-wheel drive is the best in the business.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Haha. 4WD with snow tires still beat 2WD with snow tires though, as shown at the end of the video. But for >90% people in >90% cases, 2WD with snow tires is enough. And cheaper, reliable.
With that said, I may still get an AWD, because I want to be able to re-sell. :| Unless I want to keep it until it dies (not a bad idea either:laugh:)
To play the devils>:D advocate on the resale.
I looked up the value on Kelly Blue book for a 2016 used HR-V LX 2WD vs 4WD, the difference is about 1,300.
Look at the new purchase, the difference is about 1,300.
Now if you kept it for 5 years then resold it, add in 5 years of :
- extra maintenance (rear fluid changes),
- extra gas
- extra insurance
Not that I"m an expert on these things, but the math doesn't quite look like savings to me.

I don't worry much about depreciation. Bought my last Civic for $13,300, sold this year for $500 (22 years/300,000 later);)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
To play the devils>:D advocate on the resale.
I looked up the value on Kelly Blue book for a 2016 used HR-V LX 2WD vs 4WD, the difference is about 1,300.
Look at the new purchase, the difference is about 1,300.
Now if you kept it for 5 years then resold it, add in 5 years of :
- extra maintenance (rear fluid changes),
- extra gas
- extra insurance
Not that I"m an expert on these things, but the math doesn't quite look like savings to me.

I don't worry much about depreciation. Bought my last Civic for $13,300, sold this year for $500 (22 years/300,000 later);)
I can understand you logic. Curiously, I also checked KBB for used CR-V inventory, and 2WDs are rarely seen for after 2009. Either it is not a big # or the owners of 2WD decide to keep:D
For myself, I am thinking, I will go for AWD for CR-V; 2WD for HR-V. Because I want to re-sell CR-V, and for HR-V, I want to keep it until it dies, just like I would keep a civic sedan. HR-V is more practical to me, not too big to park, and small enough to be used as a commute car as well as for maneuvering.
I am test driving both tomorrow, btw. Just wish sales person don't push to hard to sell, and making me uncomfortable0:)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I always feel uncomfortable when trying something but not buying it. If sales person ask for my personal info like phone #, can I refuse? I don't want to commit to anything or be called. This is my first time buying a new car, btw
I just helped my wife buy her first nice car, I made her drive one of every brand mid sized car to see what she liked, so we did a lot of test drives at a lot of dealerships. None of them seemed to care when I was up front with them. I just said we're driving a ton of brands and want to see an example of what we can expect. Some of them took my info, some rode with, some just handed us the keys with no questions asked!

Don't worry about it, lots of people test drive cars and never buy. Tell them no matter what you're not buying today, you're researching. You'll have better bargaining power when you walk out and come back anyway

Also, resale on a manual is going to be crap regardless of features, embrace the millennial anti theft device and enjoy the car!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I just helped my wife buy her first nice car, I made her drive one of every brand mid sized car to see what she liked, so we did a lot of test drives at a lot of dealerships. None of them seemed to care when I was up front with them. I just said we're driving a ton of brands and want to see an example of what we can expect. Some of them took my info, some rode with, some just handed us the keys with no questions asked!

Don't worry about it, lots of people test drive cars and never buy. Tell them no matter what you're not buying today, you're researching. You'll have better bargaining power when you walk out and come back anyway

Also, resale on a manual is going to be crap regardless of features, embrace the millennial anti theft device and enjoy the car!

Thanks a lot for this. I checked out Honda which let me test drove but didn't price quote or ask my personal information. I also checked out Toyota, and the lady got my phone #. I was at a second about to give a fake # but felt bad, so gave my real #. Mazda offered the best experience, let me drove CX3 and CX5 the longest to even high way, as well as pulled a 16 RAV4 for me to drive as comparison.
BTW, to who that is following, the HR-V does feel tiny at back seats regarding headroom. 2~3" for side seats and 1" for middle seats, I am 5'5"

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It's a little tight on headroom in the back for me (I'm a foot taller than you), but not terrible. The leg room is nice if nothing else

·
Registered
5 Posts
During our test drives, the Subaru Crosstrek was the "one to beat". The HRV offered the same enjoyment and quality but with much better fuel economy. Carplay/Android Auto didn't factor in for us really, and the HRV has an HDMI input port so you can get an HDMI adapter for your phone if you really want to see the screen on there.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts