Honda HR-V Forum banner

HRV vs. Subaru Crosstrek XV

79K views 63 replies 28 participants last post by  leavenfish 
#1 ·
The Subaru Crosstrek has been a vehicle that I used to have my eyes on for a very long time, until researching how many oil consumption complaints there are with Subarus. The boxer engine, in my opinion, is prone to oil burning due to the oil always being in constant contact with the piston rings, and the coolant is always in contact with the head gasket, and dirty coolant and oil can accelerate oil burning. Because the HRV will have a vertical inline engine, it will be less prone to oil consumption issues.

I also believe that...

The HRV will have more interior cargo space.

The HRV will have a more upscale interior.

The HRV will have better fuel economy.

In one of the several photos of the HRV on this site, there even are some Honda HRV rims that look quite reminiscent to the Crosstrek rims!

#2 · (Edited)
The HR-V and the Crosstrek are my top choices . For now, I have put the HR-V ahead for the reasons you mention. I would add that the HR-V seems to have better navigation and rear camera. Its side camera is useful particularly since the hidden door handles restrict side visibility.

On the other hand, the Crosstrek will be far superior in snow. It has excellent all around visibility and its Eye-sight would be useful.

Subaru's oil consumption would not be a show stopper for me. From what I gather it affects 10% of their cars. At worst, I would have to add some oil every 3 months - a risk I am willing to take. Most Subaru's seem to last for ever and they have a very devoted owner base.

I am ready to flip to the Crosstrek if the HR-V has only the 1.5l engine. This engine has a particularly weak torque (114 lb/f @ 4600 rpm). The HR-V weight as much as the Civic that has 15% more torque at a lower speed. The Crosstrek also has a much better torque to weight ratio. Both the Civic and the Crosstrek have just adequate acceleration - much less for the HR-V would be a problem.

I am also monitoring the Fit forums for significant reliability problems. A new car in a new factory in a new country is risky. VW's reliability has taken a nose dive when they started building their cars in Mexico. Honda is using less robots to capitalize on the Mexican low salaries. Costs are reduced but what about reliability?

In a couple of days, we might finally know what engine would be offered for the HR-V in North America. I am expecting (hoping) it will be the Civic's 1.8l. despite what many reviewers are saying. The 1.8l would give the HR-V the same torque/weight as the Crosstrek. It does not use Direct injection which I see as an advantage.

#6 ·
I am also considering both of these cars. For anyone else also looking at the XV, note that they did a number of updates for 2015 including a much improved 7in NAV unit, better interior materials, added sound insulation, and they revised the CVT to be both quieter and get better fuel economy (its up to 26city/34hwy). I camp pretty often so the XV's offroad capabilities interest me, but I'm curious where they will price the EX-L version of the HR-V. 2-3k cheaper then the XV might make a difference (fully loaded XV is 27.5).

#7 ·
I drive a 2007 Honda Fit Sport 5 speed manual that flipped 100k miles a few weeks ago and have been reaearching possible replacements, even though I may keep the Fit a couple more years. It's been a very good little car with big room inside via the magic seats.

A higher ground clearance vehicle with AWD appeals to me for Chicago winters and the rough forest roads I drive to trailheads. But I don't want any kind of automatic transmission and the HR-V will not offer AWD with their 6 speed manual (but they are going with the Civic's 1.8L engine).

31mpg hwy on the Crosstrek just doesn't cut it, though. I hear Subaru is coming out with a new global platform in 2017, so I just may wait 2 or 3 years to see if there will be a new/better version of the Crosstrek. I think it also makes sense to wait to see the reliability of Hondas built in Mexico.

#12 ·
All comments here are spot on, only the oil problem with Subaru's engines is new to me. I am driving a 2007 Forester and not having that sort of problem.

That said, I am looking at maybe the HRV, late spring in Canada. Was thinking of a Crosstrek but I too believe gas milleage will be better with HRV.

Specs shows HRV is about same size then my 07 Foz, but it is 10 cms shorter, mostly loosing some trunk space. But I'd live with it.

#14 ·
I drove a Forrester and Crosstrek back to back this weekend. Forrester was great the only barriers for me would be price and mpg. I know the engine only had 70 miles on it but the dash readout that showed fuel economy at 16.5mpg had me worried. I know that this is from (winter) test driving only but my commute is all city and lots more stop and go than the test drive route. The Crosstrek was a bit of a disappointment after the Forrester. The engine felt sluggish and there was too much road and transmission noise. This was a 2014 and I know the 2015 received updates to address noise but I'll have to go back when they have some in stock. I actually though the Crosstrek hybrid was going to be a winner for stop and go driving. The hybrid receives a small hp boost and better sound proofing. But I noticed that the battery is installed where the spare tire would be and you get no spare tire. No run flats either. Just a can of fix-a-flat and a compressor. So for me the Crosstrek is out due to noise, power, mpg and lack of spare in the hybrid.

#19 ·
I won't know until I can test drive the HRV/CX3. The Crosstrek is heavy which works against it being a more powerful car. Driving the Crosstrek up a steep hill left me wanting more power and better soundproofing. But if you have need for it, AWD is where the Crosstrek really shines. Plus you can get significant discounts off MSRP (today) and low financing, something I won't expect to see on a HRV/CX3 for a year or two.

#20 ·
whats the Crosstrek engine? If its the 2 liters, after what I recently read, I won't buy. Stories of lemons in Quebec and seems Subaru Canada not making people happy.

You have to know we dont have antilemon law.

IF its the 2.5 liters, then, they should be fine.

At least its what I read and heard at the radio.

#23 ·
Theres a guy here who bought a 2012 Impreza and really getting mad. One have to ask if its a good idea for japaneese automakers to deny any negative comments. Anyways, I won't take a chance ona 25K$ + car when I read someone in my area needs to fight to gets is warranty respected. End.

#24 ·
Subaru of America could face a class-action lawsuit over its alleged inaction regarding excessive oil consumption in its most popular models. Those involved with the proposed suit claim that Subaru knew about the excessive oil consumption and failed to inform buyers, even going so far as to refuse warranty coverage on oil consumption-based engine repairs.
That is a pretty bold move. I'm glad that people lawyered up instead of letting Subaru steam roll them. Disappointed to hear this news generally though because I always had a good opinion of Subaru.

#27 ·
I spoke to one Subaru dealer in the Bay Area because I was also interested in the Forester and I brought up the oil burning issue. He acknowledged that it is a problem in a limited number of vehicles. He said that of all the cars they had sold in the past 6 months, only one was going through the oil consumption test right now.

He is an old family friend, so I trust that he was beings straight forward with me. It is a problem, it's probably not as prevalent as the internet makes it seem, it is an issue Subaru is not moving on with gusto as they should be.

#28 · (Edited)
That one in six months is not all that encouraging to me. Most people are good about having someone change their oil frequently on a new car so they may not even notice that it is lower than normal. And six months or newer is really not that much time to discover a problem with your car. Sound like this problem does not always show up immediately.

There are just too numerous complaints on the internet to make me feel comfortable. If it were just a couple I might just brush off my doubts.

It's Ok for me, because the HR-V is a better fit than the Forrester anyway.

I have moved on.

#29 ·
I wanted to wait for the HRV but opted for a 2015 Forester last month. I needed something with roof racks, AWD and cargo room. The Forester covers all of my needs except for fuel economy. In a 3-4 years I'll try to pick up something like a used gen1 HRV or see what is new for gen2 (hopefully even better mpg). At that point I still expect to have the Forester and I can look for a 2wd HRV without roof racks or all the bells and whistles. Hope I didn't make the wrong choice.

#42 ·
It never even occurred to me that in this day and age new motors would burn oil. Subaru dealer told me that it was the first Crosstrek they had had any oil issues with, although he did let slip that they had had a Forester with the same problem. Then I discovered that lots of Subarus have the problem and that it is just the luck of the draw if you get one that does or doesn't burn oil.

#44 ·
I've owned about 15 new vehicles in my life and about 12 new motorcycles....

I've never had a single one use enough oil to make me add any between oil changes.
This includes 10K intervals on my last couple of vehicles.

Normal to use a little oil but not enough so you ever need to add any.

Shame on any manufacturer who says its normal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.