Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2018 HRV LX AWD and I have noticed in the past few weeks that Ive been hearing a whistle sound coming from the engine as I accelerate my car while I'm in drive. Sometimes I even hear a loud humming sound. Its more noticeable after a cold start or in colder climates. I'm not sure what exactly it is but I need help to figure this out. I am planning to take the car to the dealership and see what's going on.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
315 Posts
Have you added anything to your car recently: dash cam, satnav etcetera?

Years ago a friend fitted a stereo to my car, and everytime I accelerated a whine could be heard coming from the front of the vehicle. He had forgotten to connect a resistor/isolator/earthing strap*, once he had the issue disappeared.

* delete where appropriate!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Years ago a friend fitted a stereo to my car, and everytime I accelerated a whine could be heard coming from the front of the vehicle. He had forgotten to connect a resistor/isolator/earthing strap*, once he had the issue disappeared.

I do have a dashcam installed but that was about 2 years ago already. I had recently changed my serpentine belt because it was dry and maybe after 2 days of replacing it, ive been having this hissing sound when I accelerate.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Record and post the noise.

Check the tensioner range markings with the new serpentine belt.
The new belt should have been exactly the same length as the old belt, perhaps slightly shorter. Not longer.

Put the old belt back on and test drive.

The old belt was dry? They are supposed to be dry. Do you mean cracked?
That would be highly unlikely with a 3 or 4 year old serpentine belt even if you have a ton of miles on it.

I've never seen a serpentine belt fail due to age, only when another belt driven rotating device has failed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The new belt should have been exactly the same length as the old belt, perhaps slightly shorter. Not longer.

That would be highly unlikely with a 3 or 4 year old serpentine belt even if you have a ton of miles on it.

I've never seen a serpentine belt fail due to age, only when another belt driven rotating device has failed.
Thanks man for the reply I didn’t know that information. Im gonna test the old belt and see. Gotcha I honestly didn’t know that the serpentine belt really can last a long time.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Anthony! So smart!

·
Registered
15 Posts

I mean Calgary sooo smart!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts