Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may put off purchasing an HR-V for a while, especially if pricing is too out of line in the beginning.
Scion is supposed to be introducing a third model after the iM and iA and there is a good chance it will be a mini CUV. (Instead of it being a Toyota model).
I would like to at least see a prototype of what that will be like before I proceed.

I was even briefly tempted by the iM now that it is in production guise at the New York auto show. It is just that at 6 inches shorter in overall height than the HR-V, the seating may too low or the cargo height would be greatly reduced.

I do like how Scion has a high feature content on the iM. Even has LEDs front and rear standard. Basically what higher level HRVs have for a an LX price. http://www.scion.com/cars/iM2016/
I also like the "pure pricing".

Hope I see something soon.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I will likely be waiting. I just want to figure out if it is the HRV that I want or another CUV/SUV. If I do like it in person, then I will focus my attention on it, see what first buyers have to say about it, and buy in the fall.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the Toyota prototype, which of course will look nothing like this when it finally appears:

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/10/...ee-quarters-left-at-the-2014-paris-motor-show

I too will be waiting on the HR-V as I want the hype-induced markups to go away and I want to read reviews and know if it's mechanically sound. I was turned off a bit by the new mpg figures, and even though it confuses me to no end I'd like to know if the options are decent for the price compared to the competition. I also hope they address road and engine noise in the US model.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the heads up on the Toyota prototype, which of course will look nothing like this when it finally appears:

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/10/...ee-quarters-left-at-the-2014-paris-motor-show

I too will be waiting on the HR-V as I want the hype-induced markups to go away and I want to read reviews and know if it's mechanically sound. I was turned off a bit by the new mpg figures, and even though it confuses me to no end I'd like to know if the options are decent for the price compared to the competition. I also hope they address road and engine noise in the US model.

Agree it won't look anything like this prototype. If it did , that would mean they think the Juke is their primary competition.....a huge marketing error.

Don't doubt that they may use some styling touches, however. When I said prototype earlier, I meant something practical that evolved from this early prototype.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I way wait as well.

While I am thankful that Honda is apparently offering a crossover with a manual transmission in a mid-level trim, my true desire is for a traditionally-styled compact SUV, with good outward visibility and outdoor-oriented utility. I keep hearing that everyone wants "SUV height, but coupe styling" in a compact crossover. It is hard to imagine the whole compact SUV segment evaporated. If I were convinced that Subaru had their act together (oil issue), I would get a Forester. Otherwise, I continue to be disappointed by these car-like crossovers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Count me in with the wait and see group. The race still includes the MB GLA but since both are new vehicles I will wait until the next model year before jumping in. The commanding lead held by the GLA has taken a hit after a road test. The run flat tires are noisy as **** and the lack of a spare creates some doubt in my mind. HR-V has crept back into the lead. A test drive of the Honda could be a game changer for our plans. The only down side is we are planning a trip to Germany next year and were hoping to take advantage of the European delivery program. Not much interested in taking delivery in Mexico, even if there was such a program.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Personally I want a new car ths year, preferably by summer, and possibly almost immediately. My Acura was hit while parked last weekend, fairly minor but pushed the driver door out of alignment and there's a chance it'll be written off. If that happens I can manage for a short time (rent, borrow, bus, bike...) to see the HR-V, but not more than a month or two.

I never wanted a CUV or SUV; just a practical car with good utility, a hatch and manual transmission. If the HR-V doesn't make the cut for me (or doesn't get here in time) I may consider the Fit, which I believe is a great car but the styling has never appealed to me; or the Matrix, which is a good size but I've never liked Toyota and again the styling leaves me cold; or take a chance on reliability and look at a Golf (which I've admired for decades and hasn't changed much :) ) or maybe Crosstrek.

Feels like I'm all over the map... HR-V is still the front-runner, if it delivers on the promise for the right price.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm almost in the exact same boat with you and I'm looking at those same competitors for the same reasons. I'd add the Forester to the list and the regular Impreza. If Subaru could sort out their oil issues they would be a big time contender for me. I'm hoping the HR-V is just a nicer Fit with higher ground clearance. If I'm going with a used car, I'm probably looking at the Matrix. The Golf is highly appealing as well, but small on cargo space and reliability is questionable.
Personally I want a new car ths year, preferably by summer, and possibly almost immediately. My Acura was hit while parked last weekend, fairly minor but pushed the driver door out of alignment and there's a chance it'll be written off. If that happens I can manage for a short time (rent, borrow, bus, bike...) to see the HR-V, but not more than a month or two.

I never wanted a CUV or SUV; just a practical car with good utility, a hatch and manual transmission. If the HR-V doesn't make the cut for me (or doesn't get here in time) I may consider the Fit, which I believe is a great car but the styling has never appealed to me; or the Matrix, which is a good size but I've never liked Toyota and again the styling leaves me cold; or take a chance on reliability and look at a Golf (which I've admired for decades and hasn't changed much :) ) or maybe Crosstrek.

Feels like I'm all over the map... HR-V is still the front-runner, if it delivers on the promise for the right price.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Exactly Derm... we're in synch! Forester's a nice car, just seems a bit big, as does the CR-V... and no manual (which I think applies to the Crosstrek too, come to think of it... d'oh!). Imprezza I'm so-so on; in that size I'd probably prefer the Golf. Matrix, I forgot... also no standard, and not sold anymore!

Here's hoping the HR-V is just what you said: a nicer, taller Fit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm wondering, with supplies trickling out in the launch phase, how easy it will be to get what I'm wanting. The color choices that it seems dealers will have on hand (based on info in the other threads) in the beginning are limited. I haven't bought a car for awhile and I don't know if dealers will search for what I want or if I'm stuck with what they've got.

·
Registered
56 Posts
stick em up

I'm wondering, with supplies trickling out in the launch phase, how easy it will be to get what I'm wanting. The color choices that it seems dealers will have on hand (based on info in the other threads) in the beginning are limited. I haven't bought a car for awhile and I don't know if dealers will search for what I want or if I'm stuck with what they've got.
There will most certainly be some greedy Stealerships that will add on unwanted extras at exorbitant prices in the early phases of the release. Some MB dealers add on a $500 detailing fee that basically means they cleaned the car up and you can bring it back for a few more spit shines over the years. They will assure it is a good deal ;)

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think we may have to wait for a while to get the color and trim we want. You can make a deal with a dealer on the car you want and when it becomes available, he will contact you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in the market for a new car and the HR-V is my number one pick (Subaru Crosstrek a close second). But I may wait for the 2017 model for the following reasons:

- Android Auto. I'm sure this car will get it, but probably not this year.

- Waiting a year to let Honda squash any first model year bugs.

I've been following this car since last April and I am very excited for the reviews at the end of the embargo on April 30. But I'll probably be waiting a year to purchase. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am in the market for a new car and the HR-V is my number one pick (Subaru Crosstrek a close second). But I may wait for the 2017 model for the following reasons:

- Android Auto. I'm sure this car will get it, but probably not this year.

- Waiting a year to let Honda squash any first model year bugs.

I've been following this car since last April and I am very excited for the reviews at the end of the embargo on April 30. But I'll probably be waiting a year to purchase. :)
Those are some of my reasons why I have decided to wait. I was ready to buy the HRV had it come out last year but here we are in April and still have limited information. With a car being such a big purchase, I'm not ready to find out if there's any issues for them. Hopefully they don't have major issues like last year's Fit and looking forward to see what everyone here, that does get one, thinks of it.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those are some of my reasons why I have decided to wait. I was ready to buy the HRV had it come out last year but here we are in April and still have limited information. With a car being such a big purchase, I'm not ready to find out if there's any issues for them. Hopefully they don't have major issues like last year's Fit and looking forward to see what everyone here, that does get one, thinks of it.
I hope too that we get lots of honest reviews here after people receive their cars...and some time later after the excitement of a new car wears off.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
True. 6-12 months after purchase will be nice to see how those that have it think of it and get better mileage figures based on peoples commutes.
That is a good point. It will be interesting to see if actual mileage is better....or worse than promised.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts