Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to see the HR-V. Not in love with it, mpg's is my biggest problem. When I asked about getting a FWD in red he said, there are no FWD being shipped to the Northeast only AWD. Does this sound right? That 32 mpg on that AWD is a deal breaker. Not that the FWD is all that good at 35when I am getting over 34 on my HHR.
The dealer said he might be able to get one in 4-5 months from another state.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Well Above Expected MPG

Sounds about right. Most of the shipments in the north I would expect to be AWD for the first 6 months or so given the demand.

A buddy of mine bought an HRV AWD EX white earlier in the week and said he is getting the upper 30s on highway and even cracked 40...well above the expected mpg.

What is the EPA gas mileage for the 2008 Chevy HHR?

Finally got to see the HR-V. Not in love with it, mpg's is my biggest problem. When I asked about getting a FWD in red he said, there are no FWD being shipped to the Northeast only AWD. Does this sound right? That 32 mpg on that AWD is a deal breaker. Not that the FWD is all that good at 35when I am getting over 34 on my HHR.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'll bet it would not take you 4-5 months to go to another state, buy one, and drive it back >:D

We'll prolly get an AWD for the wife's perceived "safety factor." However, I notice that even here in Maine, a fair number of CR-Vs, Ford Escapes, etc. are FWD. Many opine that with 60%+ of the weight on the front, steered wheels, in the AWD versions, even in the snow, roughly 70 to 90% of the traction is provided by the front wheels ... that "you don't need AWD."

Of course, when you "need that 10 to 30%" you REALLY need it! Enter the incremental, perceived "Satety Factor."

Notwithstanding the limited ground clearance, in the winter, with Bridgestone Blizzacks on my 2010 FWD Prius, I do just as well as she does with all-season TOYO's on her 2003 CR-V.

Finally, because the RWD is disengaged when the front is not slipping, I suspect the mileage hit is only 1-2 mpg, at most.

P.S. The dealer makes a little more off the AWD, initial cost, maintenance, etc.

WHOOPS: I forgot about the aerodynamic, underbody panels ... whatever they're called. As with the Prius, that may enable a few more MPG out of the FWD ...

·
Registered
547 Posts
AWD is about 160 pounds heavier than the FWD. The question you want to ask is do you need that kind of burden on the Civic 1.8l CVT engine?

·
Registered
805 Posts
AWD is about 160 pounds heavier than the FWD. The question you want to ask is do you need that kind of burden on the Civic 1.8l CVT engine?
Also the AWD has less ground clearance than the FWD ...

Consequently it must have more bits and pieces hanging out down there, down below, in that compressed air stream ... and without that aerodynamic belly pan/shroud (of which I'm so fond) ....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wouldn't doubt it. All the HR-Vs my local dealers had were AWD. Same for the CR-V. In fact - I had looked at the RAV4 earlier that day (i was curious what they looked like inside) - all AWD too....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I feel the exact way, I was advised by my honda dealership that they have a shipment in transit coming in sometime next week. But then every other dealership in the upper New York State area has advised me they will not be getting any FWD HRV vehicles in at all. The northeast has only one option CVT AWD. My current lease is up and now I guess I will be driving to Virginia after I confirm they will buy back my lease just to get into a LX FWD STICK model. Keeping my fingers crossed they really do have a shipment coming in within a week or two.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just spoke to a dealership in Virginia. Door to door is 5 hours for me to pick up a wide selection of LX models in stock as we speak. He even told me he will try to get me the misty green pearl model. if my local dealership can not give me a straight answer on the in transit vehicles I will be going down to VA.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds about right. Most of the shipments in the north I would expect to be AWD for the first 6 months or so given the demand.

A buddy of mine bought an HRV AWD EX white earlier in the week and said he is getting the upper 30s on highway and even cracked 40...well above the expected mpg.

What is the EPA gas mileage for the 2008 Chevy HHR?

The window sticker said the highest mileage was 37 mpg. and I got that once.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ummm ...

15,000 miles / 35mpg = 429 gallons
15,000 miles / 32mpg = 469 gallons

Difference = 40 gallons/year. At 5 bucks a gallon = $200.

Is that really your biggest concern?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts