Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stories of problems at this plant causing delays for the HRV and the fact they had problems with the Fit models from the same plant the spooked me too much.

If you Google "2015 Honda CRV problems" you'll see that this long-standing model has a known issue with vibration too. Just couldn't trust another first-year vehicle out of that plant then.

So… Shiny red 2016 Mazda CX-5 now sitting in my garage.....have major road trip coming up in a couple of weeks that will obviously need to happen before I could even look at an HRV and it seemed silly to put it off for a car that was still a big question mark.

Good luck to you all! I do hope it turns out well for all of you!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I test drove the CX5 a year ago. Beautiful car, especially in red - just a tad big for us. And as somebody who owned two Miatas and an RX7-R1 supercar, I can say all three of my Mazdas were bulletproof. Don't think you'll regret picking it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Bought a 2014 2.5 CX5 in 2013. A bit more road and wind noise than I like.
Auto tends to lug the engine a bit. On balance love it for its good power, simple well made interior and excellent handling. As with 2 previous Mazdas I have owned, 0 problems. Have averaged 30mpg over 32000miles. Curiously enough, mileage is about the same in suburban driving as on the open road, probably due to the usual brick like aerodynamics of an SUV. Would buy it again, but if test drive confirms the impressions of the Cx3 I have formed from the press , that will be my next purchase. I haven't ruled out the extremely practical Fit, but I'm no longer considering the less efficient HRV

I read that NVH is improved with 2016 CX5s. Also that 'commander control' knob should be an ergonomic boon. You will be happy with your choice.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Congrats and farewell GlobeTrekker

I share your misgivings about Celaya plant issues and buying first-run models despite the counter-spin being planted on the board by those who have drunk the Kool-Aid, the assorted salesmen, and the moles from American Honda corporate office.

I will somehow hold on until I test-drive an HR-V though. Then it's a toss up between Civic, Fit or Brand X.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have no idea whether or not any issues that Celaya is having have been resolved, but I am confidant they will be. This plant is too important to Honda to let issues linger. I can afford to wait as I purchased a CR-V last year and don't plan on replacing until mid 2017 at the earlyist.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Isn't the cx5 quite a bit bigger than the hrv? Wouldn't the new cx3 be more comparable to the hrv?

Yes, but the base CX-5 is close to what the HR-V is expected to cost and the mpg is the same or very close, to the HR-V.

I did remove the base CX-5 from my alternative list because of the seat folding issues. The higher level CX-5 are much better, but also a lot higher price.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Correct!

CX5 competes with CRV
CX3 competes with HRV

To get a nicely equipped CX5, your looking at the upper 20's. I would expect just like the CX5 to CRV, the CX3 to cost more than the HRV. Granted Mazda's are more driving cars, if thats your interest, your going to pay for it.

Isn't the cx5 quite a bit bigger than the hrv? Wouldn't the new cx3 be more comparable to the hrv?

·
Registered
290 Posts
It seems like Mazda pointed the CX-3 at the Juke market. Honda pointed directly at the Soul market.

If you want space, no way you're buying a CX-3 or Juke. If you want a bit of sporty feel and really hot looks, no way you're buying an HR-V.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Yes, that seems to be the case.

It seems like Mazda pointed the CX-3 at the Juke market. Honda pointed directly at the Soul market.

If you want space, no way you're buying a CX-3 or Juke. If you want a bit of sporty feel and really hot looks, no way you're buying an HR-V.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Correct!

CX5 competes with CRV
CX3 competes with HRV

To get a nicely equipped CX5, your looking at the upper 20's. I would expect just like the CX5 to CRV, the CX3 to cost more than the HRV. Granted Mazda's are more driving cars, if thats your interest, your going to pay for it.
The CR-V cost more than the CX-5. Where did you hear that the CX-3 will cost more than the HR-V?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm still curious as to how you all will make out w/the HRV!!!

But I've now had a week w/CX-5 and I like it. Short road trip today and very long road trip coming up next week so I'm glad I didn't wait. I've never had AWD before and I was surprised at the difference it made during a rainstorm....

Length and width wise it's just about the same as my former civic and I like the extra height. With the backup camera I find it's easier to park in my tricky garage than my Civic!

Good luck on the HRV. Someone get a red one!! ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,253 Posts

But I've now had a week w/CX-5 and I like it. Short road trip today and very long road trip coming up next week so I'm glad I didn't wait. I've never had AWD before and I was surprised at the difference it made during a rainstorm....

Length and width wise it's just about the same as my former civic and I like the extra height. With the backup camera I find it's easier to park in my tricky garage than my Civic!

Nice! Glad you are enjoying your purchase. Would be great if you could continue to check in on the performance of your car.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Love the red in the CX5, just don't think a color like that works as well in the HRV and even the CRV. Guess its because Mazda tend to have more of a sporty image due to the driving behavior.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What I heard 2 weeks ago from a Mazda rep at a car show, the CX-3 [edit: I initially, typoed CX-5, not CX-3] is looking at a late summer delivery. They were hinting at an August-Sept. time frame.

MPG should be about the same on both, give or take 1 or 2 mpg, and depending on options. The CX-3, however, is looking like it might be pricier than the Honda HR-V by a long shot. It looks like a fully loaded HR-V is going to be around $26k. The Mazda 3 sGrandTouring model with no extra options MSRPs at $26,635. Add in the tech package for $1700, and others, and you hit just above $31k fully loaded for the Mazda3. From what I hear, the CX-3 will run $1-2k higher than the 3. So a fully loaded (not including extra packages if there are any?) HR-V will run around $26k, where a Grand Touring CX-3 w/ no options is looking at $28k+ if the rumors are right, topping out at just over $33k. So it will be anywhere between 2k to 8k higher in price than the HR-V. The 2-8k swing difference is to account for potential inaccuracies, and I hear that somethings will be options above and beyond the $25-26k price for the HR-V, like a panoramic sunroof option.

That is assuming the pricing rumors pan out. And considering that this is going to be potentially positioned between the Mazda3 and the CX-5 in their pricing line-up, thats about right.

Curiously enough though, the CX-3 will ONLY come in the 2.0 liter engine and not the 2.5, and it will not have a center arm rest, and it will actually have less cargo room than the Mazda3 with the rear seats folded down (WTF, really Mazda?!?).

The CX-3 looks so awesome esthetically, but not when you add up the numbers, and options IMHO :( SO it is still between the Mazda3 and the HR-V for me.

If there is no panoramic sunroof option in the HR-V and the driver's seat turns out to be as hard and bad as everyone says, then that will push me right towards the Mazda3. Too bad. I was kinda looking to get the cheaper HR-V and using the extra change to buy a used BMW Z3 for fun weekend driving in the mountains w/ the top down!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes, but the base CX-5 is close to what the HR-V is expected to cost and the mpg is the same or very close, to the HR-V.

I did remove the base CX-5 from my alternative list because of the seat folding issues. The higher level CX-5 are much better, but also a lot higher price.
I shopped the CX-5 for several years as it was one of the few options for a manual CUV, a definite requirement for me. From 2013 on, I had cash in hand, waiting for each release, hoping for decently-equipped CX-5 with a manual, but no dice. The base model seat not folding flat was another turnoff.
The Canadians can get a white, manual, CX-5 with decent audio and a backup camera, no so in the U.S.. Since the 2016 CX-5 MT-6 is still stripped, I took it off my list, otherwise it would be a contender. I am hopeful the HR-V will provide the blend of features I need.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I shopped the CX-5 for several years as it was one of the few options for a manual CUV, a definite requirement for me. From 2013 on, I had cash in hand, waiting for each release, hoping for decently-equipped CX-5 with a manual, but no dice. The base model seat not folding flat was another turnoff.
The Canadians can get a white, manual, CX-5 with decent audio and a backup camera, no so in the U.S.. Since the 2016 CX-5 MT-6 is still stripped, I took it off my list, otherwise it would be a contender. I am hopeful the HR-V will provide the blend of features I need.

The base manual CX-5 was on my list, but fell off it for the same reasons you mentioned. I considered it because it had the same mpg and is priced close to the HR-V's expected price. It is actually a competitor to the HR-V , different segment not withstanding.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts