Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing a lot of thinking about the HR-V and have decided I will probably not buy one.
I tried really hard to convince myself that the objections I have can be overlooked. But I doubt I will be comfortable with it in the long term.

It is still a fun ,exciting car. I really, really wanted to love it.

I think I will just spruce up my current vehicle because really it is already the perfect vehicle for me.

Maybe something coming up will spark my interest and I will go for something new.

The HR-V may still be my default choice if my car bites the dust. :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Nooo.... scooter and bice both leaving the same evening?? The place just isn't going to be the same.

Really appreciated all your hard work, perspective, discussion, humour and information sharing, Bice. Sorry to see you go, but I completely understand and wish you the best.

Cheers!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Bice,
Regardless of if you buy a HR-V or not, you've been an incredible contributor to the forum and I'll miss your input in our discussion. All the best in whatever you end up with (new or old) and just because you don't have a HR-V doesn't mean you can't stop in and say hello from time to time.

Also, who knows, you might change your mind tomorrow ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm out too, but for a different reason. We are "inheriting" a brand new Buick Encore. My 93 year old mother in law has dementia. Her last financial act was to buy a new Encore. Mind you, her 3 year old Buick Lucerne only had 7,000 miles on it but the owner of this small town dealership, acting in her best interest, convinced her she would be much safer in this nice AWD "SUV". He was nice enough to not charge her a penny more than sticker price, what a swell fella. She can't even turn to look over her shoulder, no way she should be driving. The doctor agrees.
My wife is in the process of taking over all the financial responsibilities. Looks like we will be driving the pace car in the race to the senior center. At least until the dementia advances enough so the old lady won't know we traded it in on something a little less stodgy. Who knows, I might even like it. I do know this, it is loaded with every option available, with a nice pearl white finish. If the VW Cross Coupe turns out to be a good as the initial reviews, this baby will be nice trade bait.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nooo.... scooter and bice both leaving the same evening?? The place just isn't going to be the same.

Really appreciated all your hard work, perspective, discussion, humour and information sharing, Bice. Sorry to see you go, but I completely understand and wish you the best.

Cheers!
Thanks . I always appreciated your good humor and valuable insights. I will be checking in here from time to time, but I would feel weird posting too much since it isn't likely that I will buy.

I do feel sad that after so much excitement and build up the parties over for me. I have been here so long and suffered through all the delays of the car getting here along with my good friends here.

Enjoy the HR-V when it FINALLY reaches you up there!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bice,
Regardless of if you buy a HR-V or not, you've been an incredible contributor to the forum and I'll miss your input in our discussion. All the best in whatever you end up with (new or old) and just because you don't have a HR-V doesn't mean you can't stop in and say hello from time to time.

Also, who knows, you might change your mind tomorrow ;)
Thanks Derm. Yes, I will be stopping in. :) ...and yes I could change my mind.

It really is a cool car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I See You!

Been doing a lot of thinking about the HR-V and have decided I will probably not buy one.
I tried really hard to convince myself that the objections I have can be overlooked. But I doubt I will be comfortable with it in the long term.

It is still a fun ,exciting car. I really, really wanted to love it.

The HR-V may still be my default choice if my car bites the dust. :)
I went through exactly the same thing as you....my heart wanted this car.....my mind overruled me. Getting old sucks!!! Got to be comfortable and can't afford to be at risk of getting into a dangerous situation because I wanted a cool car vs. one that would allow me to stretch out my legs.

I am happy with my choice (CR-V) and know it'll be a good car for me. Will miss checking in and following my HR-V friends.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm out too, but for a different reason. We are "inheriting" a brand new Buick Encore. My 93 year old mother in law has dementia. Her last financial act was to buy a new Encore. Mind you, her 3 year old Buick Lucerne only had 7,000 miles on it but the owner of this small town dealership, acting in her best interest, convinced her she would be much safer in this nice AWD "SUV". He was nice enough to not charge her a penny more than sticker price, what a swell fella. She can't even turn to look over her shoulder, no way she should be driving. The doctor agrees.
My wife is in the process of taking over all the financial responsibilities. Looks like we will be driving the pace car in the race to the senior center. At least until the dementia advances enough so the old lady won't know we traded it in on something a little less stodgy. Who knows, I might even like it. I do know this, it is loaded with every option available, with a nice pearl white finish. If the VW Cross Coupe turns out to be a good as the initial reviews, this baby will be nice trade bait.

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. My Mom went through the same thing and I was her caregiver for the last 4 years of her life.

You really might settle in to liking the Buick! :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
I might be out as well :crying:sorry, just a heads up to soften the blow.

To be honest the "fantasy" of the HR-V in what it would be was much more than the reality. This is understandable in that when we didn't have hard facts on the car we could make assumptions that would fulfill our wishes, and those expectations are hard to match.

I'm not totally 100% out just yet, but I've got one foot out the door. At the end of the day I can put money equal to about 4 months of HR-V payments into my current car, and it would probably run for 3-5 years more without a problem. I would "like" a new car, but I don't "need" a new car, and spending $20k on something I don't "need" is a hard sell to me personally as a financial decision, on top of buying a brand new model car, or any new car in general because of the initial depreciation.

I still really like the "idea" of the HR-V, I feel that the devil is in the details, and whether or not those details are enough for me to jump ship is the question I'm wrestling with....

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I might be out as well :crying:sorry, just a heads up to soften the blow.

To be honest the "fantasy" of the HR-V in what it would be was much more than the reality. This is understandable in that when we didn't have hard facts on the car we could make assumptions that would fulfill our wishes, and those expectations are hard to match.

I'm not totally 100% out just yet, but I've got one foot out the door. At the end of the day I can put money equal to about 4 months of HR-V payments into my current car, and it would probably run for 3-5 years more without a problem. I would "like" a new car, but I don't "need" a new car, and spending $20k on something I don't "need" is a hard sell to me personally as a financial decision, on top of buying a brand new model car, or any new car in general because of the initial depreciation.

I still really like the "idea" of the HR-V, I feel that the devil is in the details, and whether or not those details are enough for me to jump ship is the question I'm wrestling with....
I had much the same thought process. I think so fondly of many months back when EVERBODY was so excited about the latest news on this car. I did notice a sinking interest with you when the Vezel features were being removed one by one.
Yes, plunking down $20,000 on a car I am not completely sold on just to have something new suddenly seemed really a bad idea to me. I already have the ideal car for me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have read this forum since the beginning, but just started posting once the HR-V hit the lot Friday.

I also have decided not to buy for many reasons. The fantasy was bigger than the reality. It's not possible for me to get over the lack of cubby space, the air vent gash, the lack of old school knobs in EX, and the general meh visuals. I wanted to be in love.

Also, I'm not sure Honda has its game on. I was ready to buy a beautiful Mountain Mist CR-V EX-L after not wanting the HR-V, but researched diligently and the vibration issues with the CR-V makes me mistrust Honda. After 25 years. I'm really really sad about this.

I'll working out an order for a Subie Crosstrek Limited. Much more substantial and I'm still wanting that Japanese build.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wow, I have been reading all the posts you guys have made for a while now, particularly you Bice. I do love all things Honda, and for a while now thought the HR-V was going to be my next car, but as fate would have it, without the ability to tow, it won't be. I had hoped to go with the CR-V (even went as far as joining the CR-V forum), but with the vibration issue I'm now thinking I will either wait another year and see how everything pans out, or go with another car manufacturer altogether. My Honda Odyssey is paid for, so I can afford to wait as long as I need.

I still think that anyone who is buying the HR-V should buy it now, while the engines and transmissions are being built in Japan (I really harp on this all the time), but most don't care or don't understand the significance of a Japanese vs. Mexican build. Oh well, can't say I did not try.

As with the Fit Forum, I enjoy reading up on both automobiles, and will lurk some in the future. But with all you gone, it just won't be the same for me.

Bice, you have been what I consider to be a necessary "counter-balance" on this forum, so with you gone, I fear the pendulum will be swinging too far the other way.

Good luck in your search for your perfect solution.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, I have been reading all the posts you guys have made for a while now, particularly you Bice. I do love all things Honda, and for a while now thought the HR-V was going to be my next car, but as fate would have it, without the ability to tow, it won't be. I had hoped to go with the CR-V (even went as far as joining the CR-V forum), but with the vibration issue I'm now thinking I will either wait another year and see how everything pans out, or go with another car manufacturer altogether. My Honda Odyssey is paid for, so I can afford to wait as long as I need.

I still think that anyone who is buying the HR-V should buy it now, while the engines and transmissions are being built in Japan (I really harp on this all the time), but most don't care or don't understand the significance of a Japanese vs. Mexican build. Oh well, can't say I did not try.

As with the Fit Forum, I enjoy reading up on both automobiles, and will lurk some in the future. But with all you gone, it just won't be the same for me.

Bice, you have been what I consider to be a necessary "counter-balance" on this forum, so with you gone, I fear the pendulum will be swinging too far the other way.

Good luck in your search for your perfect solution.
Thanks Vanguard. Being a counter balance can get tiring after a while. My biggest concern was trying to keep the information accurate. I hope others can step up and do that job. I am sure I will be popping in from time to time....especially if things get too off base :).
Good luck on whatever vehicle you choose. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Vanguard, the CR-V issue is just so sad to me. I almost got bitten by all the glowing reports of the 15 CR-V and my superb experiences with the 1st and 2nd gen of them. My daughter has a 14 CR-V with zero zip nada issues. Typical Honda.

However, I always research in an OCD ridiculous fashion, and all I had to do was read a couple comments on Edmunds.com on the CR-V issue to lead me to a horror story.

I'm looking forward to my new Crosstrek. Hopefully I don't have to wait until the end of July for an order. These little guys are super popular up here in the Northwest, and Subaru will build to order. Dealers can't keep the higher trims on the lot. They are simply quality all around.

Well, it was fun following the release of what I call "The Weasel" (Vezel). Dreams don't always come true!:laugh:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Vanguard, the CR-V issue is just so sad to me. I almost got bitten by all the glowing reports of the 15 CR-V and my superb experiences with the 1st and 2nd gen of them. My daughter has a 14 CR-V with zero zip nada issues. Typical Honda.

However, I always research in an OCD ridiculous fashion, and all I had to do was read a couple comments on Edmunds.com on the CR-V issue to lead me to a horror story.

I'm looking forward to my new Crosstrek. Hopefully I don't have to wait until the end of July for an order. These little guys are super popular up here in the Northwest, and Subaru will build to order. Dealers can't keep the higher trims on the lot. They are simply quality all around.

Well, it was fun following the release of what I call "The Weasel" (Vezel). Dreams don't always come true!:laugh:
I know exactly what your talking about when it comes to research. I drive my wife crazy with it. I tell her, when did Noah build the Ark..... before the rain. That is how I approach any subject, from raised bed vegetable gardening to buying a car. I am able to completely explain any decision I make, when asked.

I am going to check out the Subaru. I had a friend tell me recently, in no uncertain terms, that no one does AWD like Subaru.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know exactly what your talking about when it comes to research. I drive my wife crazy with it. I tell her, when did Noah build the Ark..... before the rain. That is how I approach any subject, from raised bed vegetable gardening to buying a car. I am able to completely explain any decision I make, when asked.

I am going to check out the Subaru. I had a friend tell me recently, in no uncertain terms, that no one does AWD like Subaru.
Please post your impressions of the Subie. The Forester will have the updated back up camera next year. The Outback and the Crosstrek for 15 have really upped their game.

If more people researched like us, I think they would naturally at least check out the Crosstrek. I'm glad I waited for the HR-V for a year because now I can appreciate the Crosstrek even more.

Our 15 Outback is the best car we've owned, and I unfortunately have owned too many.>:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well I hate to admit it but I have one foot out the door as well.....the same exact situation -do not really NEED a new car but this one looked so appealing in all the reviews and articles I read it got me ready to buy after a long hiatus not purchasing / owning a BRAND new vehicle. Im still not 100% out but for me the biggest issue right now is safety in my mind .... I have two little ones in car seats and the thought that they are pretty close to that back bumper scares me . I feel safer in my 2007 CRV whether its warranted or not. These new mini utes all have hardly any sheetmetal past the rear seats . So in a rear impact I don't know just how safe it would be .

Per my test drive I can deal with the less than optimal power i.m.o., the lack of cubby space, the ac whoosh noise but in the end I think if I am making payments for the next 4 yrs I need to be in love with the car - which I am not 100% ..... still on the fence :(

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sad to see you go Bice. I'm still "in" but in a different category. I'm following this car now 'cause I want to buy one used a year or so from now. (Vanguard, you think you do a lot of research? I started searching for a replacement for my Vibe back in 2009 when the 2nd Gen Vibe was such a disappointment.)

I still feel like this is the right Vibe replacement for me. Now I just need to wait for some of you early adopters to sell yours--preferably a well-maintained LX CVT FWD, not picky about the color. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts