Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At six feet, I couldn't get the seat low enough.

Took a text drive yesterday. Liked it- a lot...except that the seat wouldn't go down enough. At 6', I'm tall, but not THAT tall. I have more room, IMO, in my Fit. If I could have "pumped" the seat down 2-3 more times, I would have driven her home last night. Moved it back, changed seat angle, move wheel, blah blah blah. At the end of the day, I was an inch from the roof and peering over everything. Shame, I have been obsessing over this since it was announced.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

Took a text drive yesterday. Liked it- a lot...except that the seat wouldn't go down enough. At 6', I'm tall, but not THAT tall. I have more room, IMO, in my Fit. If I could have "pumped" the seat down 2-3 more times, I would have driven her home last night. Moved it back, changed seat angle, move wheel, blah blah blah. At the end of the day, I was an inch from the roof and peering over everything. Shame, I have been obsessing over this since it was announced.
Funny, I"ve heard reviewers that were 6'2" that said it was fine.
I think it comes down to not just height, but torso length.
I know I"m 5'10", my wife is 5'4", but our legs are around the same length.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Funny, I"ve heard reviewers that were 6'2" that said it was fine.
I think it comes down to not just height, but torso length.
I know I"m 5'10", my wife is 5'4", but our legs are around the same length.
I agree, it's down to torso. I'm 5'10", but I have long legs and short torso. When I sit next to my 5'5" wife, our eyes are at the same height.

Sorry it didn't work for you, ex-MA Hole. Was it an EX or LX you were driving? I ask because the LX, without the sunroof, reportedly has an extra inch or more of headroom.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Also, I think the seat angle matters quite a bit, some people like to lean back while others are more straight up in their driving position.

·
Registered
445 Posts
6'4" here, just purchased an LX AWD the other day. Perhaps you were in a sunroof model? The LX has plenty of headroom for me with no sunroof.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Thank you - I'm 6'2" & had the same issue! Only a .25" between my skull and the ceiling - hair was all mashed into the ceiling. I too was fully prepared to drive it off the lot and have been obsessing as well. My '07 Fit has so much more headroom in front & back - even the new Fit with sunroof had plenty of headroom for me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Odd, I'm 6' 2.5" and I had no issue at all and I never touched the seat as far as up and down, my wife set it for her (under 5' 6") and I got in and drove it fine and I was in an EX-L. I wear "long" big and tall shirts so I'm sure not short torsoed and would say I'm on the longer side there. I did time in the passenger seat which does not adjust up and down and was fine there too. Sorry it did not work out for you.

I fit in the back okay too but could feel my hair touching back there, there is a hump in the roof lining that I fit in fine but lean forward much and I would brush the ceiling.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's difficult - when I was shopping the subcompacts in 2006, my head scraped in the little Scion and Yaris, so had little hope when I got in the Fit - but - lo & behold, tons of headroom! It's been an 8+ year love affair since then...love everything about it - except the winter driving. Which was why I was soooo excited to see basically an AWD Fit in the HRV... Very sad it didn't work out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Some have a longer torso and some have longer legs.......It will impact how any automobile will feel/fit.....not all people are the same.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Some have a longer torso and some have longer legs.......It will impact how any automobile will feel/fit.....not all people are the same.
That's exactly right.....I"m 6'2" and had no headroom trouble with the FIT or HR-V, but both failed with leg/knee room ( the HR-V even has a smidge LESS front legroom than the FIT according to Honda stats). So, I went with the Crosstrek which has 2+" more legroom than both Hondas.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Note for the original poster - Ex-MA Hole:

Try an LX. I tried one tonight and fit in perfectly - LOTS of headroom. The Moonroof in the EX & EX-L is the problem. But you lose all the goodies on the LX base model.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have figured out why me being 6'6 thinks the HR-V is just as, if not more comfy than the '12 crv. The way my knee rests in the crv is right on the corner of where the shift knob is and at times it gets very uncomfortable, in the HR-V it still rests on the center console but it is in a much more comfortable position. I think there may be some luck involved with the comfort.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I sat in a HR-V EX-L yesterday and I'm 6'1" and had enough head and leg room. Haven't test drove one yet but I doubt it will change during a test drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wanted to update this- after still obsessing about the HRV for two more months, I went and test drove another one. Totally different. Seat position felt more like the Fit. I fit in it and it was, if I put it all the way back, too much room. Got really comfortable and fell in love again. Pretty young lass that went me with lat time came again this time. She made fun of me for trying again since the last time was so tough- she joked that she promised to help pry me out again.

We were both amazed when I got in this one. PLENTY of room.

Not sure if the last one was defective? Maybe had something under the seat that prevented it from going down? Broken lever? Night and day difference.

Tall people, give it a try.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Fabulous....must have been defective.
I am 5'4", have it all the way up, and if i really stretch I might brush the ceiling- but I love being able to see the front of my car

·
Registered
41 Posts

I recently took a friend and her 6'4" cousin to lunch. Cousin decided to let the ladies chauffeur him to the restaurant, so he sat in the back seat. I asked him if he had enough room back there, and he said everything was fine -- plenty of head and leg room. Of course, since I'm short, my seat was pulled forward, but he thought he'd have enough leg room even if he sat behind the front passenger seat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm 6'1" & drove an EX with sunroof. No issues. My son is 5'11" & likely couldn't fit in because he's longer in the torso too.
Try a Ford CMax hybrid. Got one for my wife. Sits up higher, 48 mpg & I swear a 6' 7" guy could drive with no problem. Unreal head room, like the fit.
I'm waiting for the prices to come down some before pulling the trigger on an EX.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wanted to update this- after still obsessing about the HRV for two more months, I went and test drove another one. Totally different. Seat position felt more like the Fit. I fit in it and it was, if I put it all the way back, too much room. Got really comfortable and fell in love again. Pretty young lass that went me with lat time came again this time. She made fun of me for trying again since the last time was so tough- she joked that she promised to help pry me out again.

We were both amazed when I got in this one. PLENTY of room.

Not sure if the last one was defective? Maybe had something under the seat that prevented it from going down? Broken lever? Night and day difference.

Were you in an LX this time? The LX has a full 2" more headroom than EX and EX-L due to the lack of sunroof.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts