Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a 2019 navi head unit from a junked EXL, and I installed it in my 2020 LX (which just has the base level radio/cd player). I have the anti-theft code from the junked car, so no issues there. I'm waiting on a Honda GPS antenna to arrive today or tomorrow. The diagnostics show the reverse camera working. I cant use the unit until I make the error about GPS go away.
Anyone have any experience installing the GPS antenna in the dashboard? Any tips on getting it in that tight space?

Also, my LX only has one (1) USB port in the lower dash, which checks out on the new head unit in the diagnostics, at least.
But, I'm not certain that port and cable behind it will support android auto.
Anyone want to weigh in on whether I can buy the two port dash plugin and the carplay/android cable to connect to the head unit? How do I figure out the part number for that? Or could I possibly move some of the wire ends in the plug into the radio and make it work without buying any new parts? Anyone have a wiring diagram for that USB cable?
Thanks to anyone who can help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, GPS antenna was a cinch to install, there's a spot for it right above the head unit once you pull it out. Two screws and it's in place. System is now up and running...except for android auto as expected. Anyone have any idea on the correct part number to buy or having a wiring diagram for the usb cable pinout?
Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ok, GPS antenna was a cinch to install, there's a spot for it right above the head unit once you pull it out. Two screws and it's in place. System is now up and running...except for android auto as expected. Anyone have any idea on the correct part number to buy or having a wiring diagram for the usb cable pinout?
Thanks
you can buy an adapter - Crutchfield sells an adapter that allows the HONDA to USB plug if that is what you are looking for. it fits one but not both of the USB connectors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, unfortunately that is the connector I already have. I need the one that goes in the green slot. I guess I could buy the crutchfield one and then chop the left part off, it might work, who knows.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And, also, new problem. The rear view camera works only in diagnostic mode, when you shift into reverse, it doesnt show up on the screen.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately that is the connector I already have. I need the one that goes in the green slot. I guess I could buy the crutchfield one and then chop the left part off, it might work, who knows.
View attachment 31180
on this forum - one guy modified his plug by shaving down those little "fingers" in the plug, and says it worked.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sorry - i cannot find his pictures to show what he did- basically filed down the ridges/fingers on the female portion of the plug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry - i cannot find his pictures to show what he did- basically filed down the ridges/fingers on the female portion of the plug.
Thanks, I reached out to 4 different Honda parts departments and none of them can tell me the difference between the two parts, so I think I'll do what you suggest and just move on!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like the title says, when I go in reverse the camera doesn't come on. When I go into diagnostics the rear camera is checked as green and I can even view the live camera feed.
Any idea what to troubleshoot? Anyone know which sensor tells the head unit you are in reverse?
Car status in Diagnostics says Reverse is 0, I have no idea what that means.
I've done a full factory reset on this head unit and I called Honda Technology Support North America and they said they couldn't troubleshoot this issue over the phone.

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
200 Posts
You forgot to mention that you are installing the high-end OEM headunit in your LX. That might make a difference in the signal input line position.

I don't have a wiring diagram so I can't help you.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
110 Posts
I don't have the reversing camera, but I do have front and rear parking sensors. On my non Navi* Honda Connect with the 7" colour touchscreen, both that screen and the right hand display in the dash show an image of the car when I select reverse. Which leads me to suspect there must be a switch or a sender unit near the gear stick which informs the head unit (and right hand dash screen) to display the parking sensor information. As soon as I come out of reverse it reverts back to normal.

It may be worth asking a Honda tech where this switch is.

HTH.

Regards,

HT

*although I don't have inbuilt navigation, I do have factory fitted GPS in the shark fin aerial. When I use my mobile as a wi-fi hotspot it updates the inbuilt Honda fuel and parking apps. So I know there are places nearby where I can park and buy petrol and how much it costs, just not how to bloody get there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts