Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday our 2016 Honda HRV wouldn't start for our daughter. She tried it a few times and the car still wouldn't start so she called the Auto Club. By the time they came out it started. Auto Club tech said battery was good (just had it replaced 2 months ago) and that he though she had flooded the car. The next day (Saturday) the car did the same thing for us. Had to call the Auto Club again (using up our roadside assistance calls). Once again battery is perfect and the car started up after 45 minutes waiting for the auto club tech. Took it to the Honda dealership where we purchased the car and were told there was no guarantee that they could find an intermittent electrical problem. Not sure they even believed us. And of course they didn't find anything. I just love paying for a brand new car and being afraid to drive it too far from home or at night since I'm not sure it's going to start when I get in the car. Going to take a picture of the dashboard next time it happens so they can see all the lights that went on when the car wouldn't start. Not impressed with this car at all or the level of service at the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
1,419 Posts
How did you come to the conclusion that it's an electrical problem? What does it do when you try to turn it on?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Well that sucks.

Was HRV brought in to your dealer? If so, where from? Possible hurricane casualty? If not, Dealership should be able to locate problem or bring in a higher level Honda technician. Get all communications in writing/email for future reference. Move up the Honda chain.

Intermittent problems are a real pain.

Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
What does "wouldn't start" mean? Turns over and cranks endlessly? Doesn't crank and is silent? Clicks but nothing else?

What were you doing before it wouldn't start? Sitting a long time? Shortly after running?

Manual or automatic?

Key or keyless?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Also, why was the battery replaced on a year old car?

·
Registered
323 Posts
My guess is that we won't hear from echampion again. Could be wrong, but it seems that when we get these posts of mysterious problems it starts a big discussion but the OP disappears. Not enough info in the first post to even comment, more like click bait.
Did the car crank but not start? Did the car not crank at all? Flooded in a modern computer controlled car, can that even happen?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine...

I had my HRV in for a water leak - missing piece of sunroof drain tubing - and had a HRV loaner.
I went to start it, and it wouldn't. Only the solenoid clicking. I cleaned the battery terminals, made sure they
were tight, and put on a small batt. charger for an hour or a bit more - it started right up, no problems.
Naturally, I reported it to the dealer when I returned it.
Who knows how the loaner was treated... crap all over the floor, smudges all over the display screen, greasy steering wheel - a mess.
Being the guy I am, I even cleaned it up for myself. I don't like a nasty, funky - anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This intermittent problem with the HRV not starting is happening to me too. Unfortunately right at 35,500 miles and factory warranty expiring. I replaced battery right at vehicle being 2 years old. The dealer could not replicate problem the two times I left it there. The third time it happened to me, I called Honda roadside assistance and they couldn't get the vehicle on the flatbed tow truck, so I did the normal workaround and pushed buttons on keyfob until I could start it.

The push button start button doesn't work and the brake pedal gets real stiff. The dealer was able to get the car to "not start" in their possession. The car is still there, but they can't figure out why it won't start. One of these days I will get stranded and be up the creek without a paddle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been having the same problem for several months. After 3 attempts at the dealer, I finally got them to replicate the problem. After running diagnostics and other tests they finally determined that it's a faulty starter switch. Unfortunately they don't have the part and there is a nation wide back order on the part, for an unknown amount of time. My dealer is reaching out to other Honda dealers to see if they have the part. In the meantime, I risk being stranded every time I drive somewhere. I'm crossing my fingers that they find the part quickly and that it truly resolves the issue.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Flooded the car ? I remember when that referred to carburators and too much gas in the intake etc .
- and you had to wait a bit before you should crank it to trun over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No Sir, the car doesn't start. No engine noise, vibrations etc. The dealer has identified the problem. The bigger problem, now, is that the part isn't available to resolve the issue. I suspect that there are more out there having these issues.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hard to believe this part is not available and no date expectation on back order.

I would get the part number and do your own search. I am not impressed with your Honda service department. Be interesting if you are able to find on EBay, another dealer, etc and you let your dealer know where to find.

Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
435 Posts
No Sir, the car doesn't start. No engine noise, vibrations etc. The dealer has identified the problem. The bigger problem, now, is that the part isn't available to resolve the issue. I suspect that there are more out there having these issues.
What was the problem and what is the part on back order?

·
Registered
6 Posts
From my original post on 5/1/2018: I have been having the same problem for several months. After 3 attempts at the dealer, I finally got them to replicate the problem. After running diagnostics and other tests they finally determined that it's a faulty starter switch. Unfortunately they don't have the part and there is a nation wide back order on the part, for an unknown amount of time. My dealer is reaching out to other Honda dealers to see if they have the part. In the meantime, I risk being stranded every time I drive somewhere. I'm crossing my fingers that they find the part quickly and that it truly resolves the issue.Frommy original po

·
Registered
305 Posts
Parts on back order - sounds too common with the HR-V.
I had a rear shock go bad- waited over 2 weeks for parts.

Body shop (Honda dealership's) had to order right rear wheel arch -was also backordered
I just ordered a tail light gasket - and that is on back order too.

One reason I bought a Honda, when I had my civic (2007) there was never a wait on parts, and that was a good thing to know if something needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Unless a major recall or a new year release, there should never be a huge wait on parts. Not good for any company much less a major company like Honda.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts