Honda HR-V Forum banner

iPhone connecting to CarPlay but not charging in 2019 HRV

17K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Goobers 
#1 ·
I took the first long road trip in my 2019 HRV yesterday. My iPhone connected to CarPlay fine and worked well, but the battery depleted to the point that the phone battery was nearly dead by the time I reached my destination. I saw some chatter here about others with the same issue but I did not see any clear explanations or resolutions. Has anyone else faced this issue?

#3 ·
Yes! I should have said as much before. My iPhone works great with the HRV and CarPlay in every other way. I should add that I got the new cable because the one I had been using would sometimes not connect my iPhone to the Honda. It seems to reliably fail to connect if one side of the lightning connector was up versus down. If I flipped it, it would connect fine and I did not notice the charging issue. This new cable connects my phone reliably every time irrespective of whether a particular side of the lightning connector is up or down, but apparently fails to charge the iPhone.

#5 ·
Thanks. I have the iPhone XS, not the Max. I am pretty sure the port is 1.5ma. BTW, I also queried a Mac list and got the suggestion to try a different cord. I have not taken a road trip yet, but the other cord seems to not deplete the phone in the 10 minutes I sat parked on a phone call in my car.

#8 ·
I hear you all about the potential perils of non-genuine Apple cables, but this one is supposedly Apple compliant and the true Apple cables are so fragile. The one that is causing problems is a make called ParaCable and it is braided and durable and not cheap!

#10 ·
I have experienced all sorts of strange problems when using non Apple certified cables on my Iphone. I would try a different cable I don't know what the output is ion the HRV either but I do know that it chargers faster in the car than using the little square white Apple charger in the house.

#12 ·
same issue here. Battery level actually drops after i connect my phone into the 1.5 A usb port.
iPhone XS Max. Charging icon appeared. Every other function is fine.
I even had my USB port repaired in addition to one of my maintenance. It was covered in the warranty so no charge for me. But same issue afterwards despite the technician told me it was “ all good”.
Not able to use CarPlay is kind of sad for me.

#13 ·
Chiming in as well, if anyone has a solve. i'm using an official apple cable- with car play it just maintains my iphone's charge. So if I plug in with my phone at 70%, drive for an hour plugged in and charging- it will still be at 70% when I finish my trip. This can't be the expected behavior- my previous car would charge my phone super quick.

#23 ·
That's not how usb works. You can't cross wire it, otherwise you risk a short.

At best, it can go from the head unit to a "powered hub" and then to the outlet to boost the power. But the head unit doesn't seem to like having any device between the HU and phone.

I know this because I have a USB battery charger that works fine by itself charging off the port, but if I connect my android phone OR my iPad into the battery to charge (daisy chaining)... the head unit gets super annoying with repeated messages about not recognizing the device.

I have to unplug the battery charger if I want to charge either of those. Luckily, my music runs off a separate iPod Touch and I don't rely on CarPlay/Android Auto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.