Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all. I’ve decided to take on a more minimal lifestyle and was wondering if anyone had advice or some input when it comes to getting some off road tires for my HRV. When it comes down to off roading - I understand this car is not a Jeep but I have had lots of success with off roading experiences (see pictures). I saw some Subaru tires and I’d like to do something similar to my car. I’d also like to pull a small over land trailer behind it. What’s y’alls thoughts?

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I would never take a CVT transmission Truly off road… It just doesn’t work well Or last long.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You can off road to the extent a Subaru can I would keep it low speed so you don’t shake it apart until you upgrade the tires, I would increase your cvt and diff fluid replacement to every 3rd oil change. Continental and cooper both have a real off-road tire option like that Subaru tire however Continental now has the terrain contact in a at and ht I would stick to the ht. I don’t think you should go out and buy a trailer until you’ve gotten the tires and done the roads first, try to pack it in or on and get a tow hitch with extended storage bins. I’ve gone through some very deep sand, loose rocks and plenty of terrain like most jeeps could. I would not do extreme articulation or try crawling. I blasted over the onyx summit yesterday which is 8400 feet with no issues in sport mode so it’s got enough for the awe in many situations.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Messing around at crab flats trail, there is some other pic in the general forum from Johnson valley.

this guy in a forester stopped me on the trail because he thought I made a wrong turn, bruh don’t make me go full wrc on your puny forester all the way to the camp grounds.

the two threads below you have terrain contact tires in them, tire rack says they are the best at and probably ht tires they have seen to date.

In the next couple of weeks I’m ordering some new rims and tires, it’s down to the tc ht in 225 60 17 or the lx20 in 225 65 17 on a 17x7 +65 rim

I drive 90% street and I’d like the added ground clearance from the lx, I have enough traction.

·
Registered
111 Posts
One thing to mention is the cvt is capable of handling 50% more tq than stock even under 24 hour endurance racing conditions. You just need to change the fluid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been doing a LOT of research on this also. The best thing I found it to go to a 15 inch rim and then your possibilities open way up. I would check with a local dealer to find out if they will go over the brakes but it looks like it will on my car. The only lift I can find are spacers to put on top of the springs. Don't want to go much higher though. I agree with the rest, definitely do cvt fluid changes more frequently. It is easier than an oil change and the cvt is the weakest link. Really just no excuse to let that go. I hope this helps and you find what you are looking for. I'm excited to see more pics!

·
Registered
111 Posts
The 225 60 17 Terrain contacts will handle off roading better than any mixed use tire on the market and lift your HRV .7 inches - I got the HT's because the AT looks too agressive and I'm fine in trail sand - but if I was going into narrow trail areas or heavy sand ad snow I would want the extra sidewall protection and grip.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
335 Posts
That's not an HR-V, that's the Fit/Jazz. It's similar and shares the basic platform. The last picture anyway.

Dang it, can't delete my post.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just looking at the handle placement and type on the back door it’s clearly not an HRV. The hood and front end are way too short and slanted to be an HRV. There’s a side window next to the outside mirror that only appears on Fit models.

Everything about that car says NOT AN HRV. Really!

·
Registered
111 Posts
:rolleyes: R U SRS REEEEEEEE!!!!!

Amazing how many people can take time to point out the obvious instead of contributing anything useful - I know its a FIT, I didnt think I needed to tell anyone else that it wasnt an HRV on an HRV forum. Simply showing an example of offroad based customization of another FWD Honda that shares the same platform as the HRV.

·
Registered
111 Posts

I went with a 225 60 17 Terrain Contact HT which raises the HRV .75 I think I can step it up to a 225 65 17 - the CRV size and raise it up 1.3 - add some strut and shock spacers and that would be an extra 2.3 inches and I think I could improve ground clearance 1-2 inches by finagling stuff under the car.

Personally I would not change the actual suspension by more than 1 inch in either direction just bigger tires.

Next week I am down in Temecula, if I can find something to play on in Ocotillo Wells I will definitely try.

·
Registered
414 Posts
:rolleyes: R U SRS REEEEEEEE!!!!!

Amazing how many people can take time to point out the obvious instead of contributing anything useful - I know its a FIT, I didnt think I needed to tell anyone else that it wasnt an HRV on an HRV forum. Simply showing an example of offroad based customization of another FWD Honda that shares the same platform as the HRV.
sorry my reply wasn’t contributing “anything useful”. Some of us just respond to the question you asked-“could this be an HRV. Really?” While you are cryptically referring to other Honda FWD models. most of us do not think of our HRV as a big version of the Fit.
We really can’t read your mind as to what reply you would approve of. I’ll be sure to ignore all your posts in future, lest I be not useful to you if I reply.
You are rude. Forums are for being helpful and friendly, not sticking it to anyone who answers with sincerity.

·
Registered
154 Posts
View attachment 30615

I went with a 225 60 17 Terrain Contact HT which raises the HRV .75 I think I can step it up to a 225 65 17 - the CRV size and raise it up 1.3 - add some strut and shock spacers and that would be an extra 2.3 inches and I think I could improve ground clearance 1-2 inches by finagling stuff under the car.

Personally I would not change the actual suspension by more than 1 inch in either direction just bigger tires.

Next week I am down in Temecula, if I can find something to play on in Ocotillo Wells I will definitely try.

HRV looks good (RPF1 wheels?) but in your other post you stated new tires are 225/55R17. Typo?

Perhaps update your tire thread with more pics with tire and wheel specs?

This thread is kinda all over the place!

·
Registered
111 Posts
You are rude. Forums are for being helpful and friendly, not sticking it to anyone who answers with sincerity.
Everything about that car says NOT AN HRV. Really!
If you are going to yell at people who aren't even talking to you, IDK what you expect to happen, the manager to appear?

HRV looks good (RPF1 wheels?) but in your other post you stated new tires are 225/55R17. Typo?

Perhaps update your tire thread with more pics with tire and wheel specs?

This thread is kinda all over the place!
Yes it was a typo 225 60 r17 - I will do a separate thread once its all done - I need to weigh the wheels and tires - Conti says they are 1.3 pounds lighter than Tire Rack - I have a vibration at 75 that I want to address first, I think its from the lack of hub centering rings, also I bought special caps today that are alot cheaper and I will fit both tomorrow - there is a couple other things I want to see, the OEM honda caps fit the rear and kind of fit the front, I think I can get them solid by removing the corner of the inside logo tabs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts