Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In February 2020 I was hearing a fairly quiet, wobbly knocking/rattling sound from the passenger-side rear wheel area. I asked the guy at the service desk to note that road-noise drowns out the sound but it is quite audible at slow speeds. They took it out on the road at normal speeds anyway. But after I finally got the service manager to drive the car around the dealership parking lot slowly, they found as follows: "TECH VERIFIED CONCERN, FOUND RIGHT REAR UPPER SHOCK BUSHING DEFORMED AND SHOCK SPINDLE AT TOP BENT. REPLACED RIGHT REAR COMPLETE SHOCK ASSEMBLY, PERFORMED ALIGNMENT, TEST DROVE, VEHICLE OPERATION RETURN TO NORMAL, REPAIR COMPLETE. CONTINUES OR BECOMES WORSE, CUSTOMER IS ADVISED TO RETURN".

The sound did begin to come back about a year later, although it was not as noticeable to me as the first time, and I've taken the car to three different dealerships and all report "could not reproduce". Dealership #1 did a normal road test, ignoring my request to drive the car slowly and listen. Dealership #2 did the same, again ignoring my request to drive the car slowly, and to make matters worse, they did the road test during a fairly heavy rain. Dealership #3 (who fixed the problem originally) again did a normal road test ignoring my request to drive the car slowly, and the tech said the bushing in this photo was "normal". I don't know whether it is or isn't. To me it looks uncentered and bulging out on one side. Is that normal? Is that how it is supposed to look? The one on the driver-side looks properly centered and does not have that bulge. My concern is that it indicates that some linkage in the suspension is bent or that something is misaligned.

Automotive tire Household hardware Gas Automotive wheel system Musical instrument

·
Registered
412 Posts
From your other thread, 2018 HRV AWD with 22, 500 miles on it.

From your post, that's the passenger side rear upper shock mount?
The passenger shock has been replaced by the dealer previously but the rear driver's shock is still original and the driver's side shock bushing is fine?

The nut in your picture has tool marks on it confirming that someone has wrenched on it before. ie. replaced it.
The top shock bushing is not centered and deformed, it also looks over tightened.
Plus the top bushing washer looks upside down. The perimeter lip of the washer is usually against the bushing to help keep the bushing centered.
Is the top bushing washer on the driver's side installed differently?

Perhaps post up a pic of the driver's side rear upper shock mount for comparison?

Not sure what your mechanical skills are but I would remove the nut, remove the bushing and inspect the bushing.
If the bushing is permanently deformed, it's toast.
There is another bushing on the other side of the shock tower. It too has to be checked to make sure it's centered.
The shock likely has to come out to re-center it if necessary.

If the upper bushing is fine, and the lower bushing is centered, then reinstall it.
It looks like you have to flip the top bushing washer over.
Center the bushings and tighten the nut until the bushing diameter matches the washer diameter.
Do not over tighten it. That is a lock nut but a little blue loctite on it is recommended.

Dealerships and dealership mechanics are a challenge. Your picture of the dealership mechanic's work is disappointing but not surprising.

Reactions: Sol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The passenger shock has been replaced by the dealer previously but the rear driver's shock is still original and the driver's side shock bushing is fine?

The nut in your picture has tool marks on it confirming that someone has wrenched on it before. ie. replaced it.
The top shock bushing is not centered and deformed, it also looks over tightened.
Plus the top bushing washer looks upside down. The perimeter lip of the washer is usually against the bushing to help keep the bushing centered.

Perhaps post up a pic of the driver's side rear upper shock mount for comparison?

Not sure what your mechanical skills are but I would remove the nut, remove the bushing and inspect the bushing.
There is another bushing on the other side of the shock tower. It too has to be checked to make sure it's centered.

If the upper bushing is fine, and the lower bushing is centered, then reinstall it.
Center the bushings and tighten the nut until the bushing diameter matches the washer diameter.
Do not over tighten it. That is a lock nut but a little blue loctite on it is recommended.

Dealerships and dealership mechanics are a challenge. Your picture of the dealership mechanic's work is disappointing but not surprising.
Thanks very much for the reply and advice. I have little mechanical knowledge or hands-on experience working with cars. I didn't know what could happen if I loosened that nut. My skills with tools are decent; I've refurbished some vintage woodworking equipment and have built-up bicycles from bare frame. It's mainly my ignorance of car mechanics that stands in my way. I am attaching a picture of the driver-side bushing.

Automotive tire Liquid Fluid Gas Coil

·
Registered
218 Posts

That is the way I have always replaced shock absorber washers - with the lip facing the bushing.
Just out of curiosity, I looked at my 2016 LX and both rear shocks look just like the OP. Both are off-center and slightly bulging. Also, both top washers have the lip facing up! The whole assembly seems wrong to me but is apparently how they did it on all the cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts