Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Renegade's EPA ratings for the front wheel drive automatic (9spd) version were published
31/22 US MPG with FWD automatic transmission, way behind the HR-V's comparable spec FWD+CVT 35/28 MPG's

Attached is snapshot of the EPA available ratings for HR-Vs class competitors

The only one comparable (not on the snap shot) is the Crosstrek hybrid (33/30 mpg), which will be presumably way more expensive (althought nicely equiped and with AWD)

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
Jeep lags behind on this measure, but people who wanted the Renegade would probably not have MPG as their top priority anyway. Ultimately it is not a good thing for Jeep though. It will give a lot of people a good reason to turn away from the Renegade.

Do you think this was a pretty big misstep for Jeep?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I really really like the Jeep but MPG is pretty important to me. My vibe only gets me 25mpg now and sure it would be nice to have better gas mileage but I'm not dying because of it. I'll live with the tad bit lower mpg with the Jeep if I end up buying one over the HRV or Fit :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I really really like the Jeep but MPG is pretty important to me. My vibe only gets me 25mpg now and sure it would be nice to have better gas mileage but I'm not dying because of it. I'll live with the tad bit lower mpg with the Jeep if I end up buying one over the HRV or Fit :)
That seems pretty low for a Vibe. I never average less than 31 in mine. Has yours always done that poorly?

·
Registered
738 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that the original engine break in process could factor into that as that initial process determines what a lot of the engines life will be like.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You really think that the break in can affect MPG numbers over the life of the engine by that much? I think it has an effect, but 6 mpg? I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I'm so heartbroken about it!! The Jeep was my #1 , but I'm not holding my breath until Jeep announces the mpg on their website
Turns out these results were on the larger engine. You may be much happier when the Renegade with the engine size closer to the HR-V is tested.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Jeep lags behind on this measure, but people who wanted the Renegade would probably not have MPG as their top priority anyway. Ultimately it is not a good thing for Jeep though. It will give a lot of people a good reason to turn away from the Renegade.

Do you think this was a pretty big misstep for Jeep?
Yea but if you don't want Renegade for its fuel economy why would one want it? It does everything worse then Cherokee if you're buying it for Jeep reasons...

Now fuel economy is ON PAR with Cherokee in a whole segment smaller vehicle...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yea but if you don't want Renegade for its fuel economy why would one want it? It does everything worse then Cherokee if you're buying it for Jeep reasons...

Now fuel economy is ON PAR with Cherokee in a whole segment smaller vehicle...
^ What he said, the Renegade IS the Jeep for fuel economy, you have it wrong if you don't think it's a concern people have before approaching the Renegade, it's just what falls into that category.

·
Registered
738 Posts
at least with buying it new and having all those years of factory warranty you'll how it does throughout all those years.

·
Registered
255 Posts
9 speed? I wouldn't trust it....that is if you are the type of person who keeps their cars for 7+ years
Exactly. I would be all over the Cherokee if it were offered with a manual transmission, I have an aversion to automatics anyhow, but especially so in this case. The 9-speed has been a nightmare for many Cherokee owners.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts