Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So you just bought your new HRV and you want to keep that showroom look. First thing I would recommend is to clay the car no matter what type of prepping they did at the dealership. Nothing will match the results. Then following with a high quality wax or whatever your preferred waxing method works best for you.

I do want to share one product I recently disovered that is easy to use and keeps things simple. Whether you wash it by hand or go through a car wash, following it with a Quick Wax Spray. Just takes a few sprays and wipe it off. I have tried several on the market, but one of the best rated is Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. You can find it at Amazon, Walmart, etc.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g17516-ultimate-quik-wax/

Use it on all painted surfaces, but also works great on the wheels.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I finally figured HRV4ME out. He's an advertising bot! A cosmic ray just hit the part of his program that says "push the HRV" and changed it to "push car wax".

That's OK, HRV4ME. I'm actually a Kia advertising bot. So pleased to meet a peer.

Now everybody. Go buy a Kia Soul and use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax to keep it shiny and new.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I finally figured HRV4ME out. He's an advertising bot! A cosmic ray just hit the part of his program that says "push the HRV" and changed it to "push car wax".

That's OK, HRV4ME. I'm actually a Kia advertising bot. So pleased to meet a peer.

Now everybody. Go buy a Kia Soul and use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax to keep it shiny and new.
LOL...I was just chuckling myself over the commercial. If he is not getting paid for it, then by gum , he oughtta be!:D

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry you feel that way. :(

Just passing along some information I have found helpful over the years. It's spray wax, pick whatever brand you like.

No need to be so negative when you can just skip the thread if it doesn't interest you. :(. Hope you have a happy day. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
What do you mean by "clay" the car? Wax it?

I know they are going to ask if I want a clear coat. What is it exactly? I didn't buy it when I bought my 09 fit and chickens didn't fall from the sky. Any information is welcomed.

Thanks

Oh I seee... Ahh clay magic. The video helped.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Claying Your HRV!

Yeah, you don't buy it, just a way to keep your car looking its best years to come. If you ever felt the finish at the Auto Show, claying did the trick.

What do you mean by "clay" the car? Wax it?

I know they are going to ask if I want a clear coat. What is it exactly? I didn't buy it when I bought my 09 fit and chickens didn't fall from the sky. Any information is welcomed.

Thanks

Oh I seee... Ahh clay magic. The video helped.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My Blue HR-V is starting to look a little less shiny, about 16 months old.
Living in northern Ontario has 2 challenges, the road salt, and the cold, long winters that make washing hard to do.
So I"ld like to do something to help maintain/protect the paint, but I don't want to have to start waxing it every few months.

Been reading about paint sealant, that's not as shiny as a good wax job, but can last up to one year.
Seems the top rated one is Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze .
https://www.amazon.com/Klasse-High-...ie=UTF8&qid=1476388663&sr=8-1&keywords=Klasse

Seems like a good fit for me, if I can put it on every summer.
Any thoughts/experience with similar products ?

Nice instructions here
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/klasse-high-gloss-sealant-glaze-ksg-guide-and-review/

·
Registered
929 Posts
My Blue HR-V is starting to look a little less shiny, about 16 months old.
Living in northern Ontario has 2 challenges, the road salt, and the cold, long winters that make washing hard to do.
So I"ld like to do something to help maintain/protect the paint, but I don't want to have to start waxing it every few months.

Been reading about paint sealant, that's not as shiny as a good wax job, but can last up to one year.
Seems the top rated one is Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze .
https://www.amazon.com/Klasse-High-...ie=UTF8&qid=1476388663&sr=8-1&keywords=Klasse

Seems like a good fit for me, if I can put it on every summer.
Any thoughts/experience with similar products ?

Nice instructions here
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/klasse-high-gloss-sealant-glaze-ksg-guide-and-review/
I use Klasse on my Porsche which is now about 5 years old. The paint and finish still look like brand new.
But the difference is that it is parked in the garage from say December to late March. I do not think I ever drove it in the US NE snow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got a tip from a client of mine who worked 30 years as a service advisor at a Mitsubishi Dealership. He says the only thing he ever does to clean the outside of his cars is high-pressure wash, and hand dry. He doesn't use any soaps because he says the soap tends to eat away at the clear coat. I was a little skeptical; but he pointed to his 5 year old Galant in the parking lot and that thing was as shiny as one could hope for! As far as harsh weather folk, this may not be the easiest thing to do; but in SoCal all I need to do is pressure wash and hand dry at the local self-serve washers.

I have also had experience with car clay before, as a buddy of mine used to porter for a local VW dealer. He had my old Focus looking showroom sparkly in about an hour. This is something I will definitely do every few months or as I get testy.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The latest (and easiest) tech in detailing is the use of silicas in various products, its also the basis of true coatings like ceramic pro and the like, that pro detailers charge hundreds for.

But now carpro and gyeon have silica polishes and spray sealants that make this whole thing a 3 hour job that lasts for a 9 months to a year. The gen procedure is :

Clay with true clay or a syn sponge like nanoskin
Then hand or machine polish with something like CARPRO essence
Then a simple wipe on of carpro Reload, no buffing, it cures in an hour.

The results are amazing. Ive been sold on this for a year or two, its one of the stickies over at the drive accordsite. I'll do my new hrv this weekend and put pics here.

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Administrator
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yeah, im doing something wrong, i have no edit button as soon as i submit......

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm stealing ideas from Scott of Dallas Paint Correction and Auto Detailing on YouTube. So far:

Magic eraser with window cleaner on interior glass, finished up with Meguiar's Synthetic Xpress Spray Wax. Amazing.

AWP tool carrier from Lowe's for spray bottles and such. $16 worth of pure organizational happiness.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts