Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the reminder. Do you know if a low battery in the Fob will mess with the Smart Entry system? I've noticed that if the Fob is under items in my purse the Smart Entry won't work until I move it.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any idea as to what is interfering with the key fob signal? A new battery might or might not over come the interference.

·
Super Moderator
1,424 Posts
Mine lasted slightly after 2yrs then the car would beep at me when I'd get in ann had a blinking "low key battery" msg under the fuel gage.
Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that it warns you before it completely dies out. I know this has been asked before on this forum.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Mine lasted slightly after 2yrs then the car would beep at me when I'd get in ann had a blinking "low key battery" msg under the fuel gage.
Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that it warns you before it completely dies out. I know this has been asked before on this forum.
But just as a reminder even if the battery is completely dead, it will still start the car.
Simply hold the key FOB against the start button and push, it works even with the battery removed

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replaced fob battery and still says low

Hey everyone, I followed the instructions n this thread and replaced the battery in my fob, however the warning light is still on my dashboard and the fob isn't working. This was a brand new package of batteries and the correct type CR 2032. This happen to anyone else? Do I really need to go to the dealer to fix this?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
And your other key works?

I've had name brand batteries be dead out of a package, although that's rare. Is the battery fully seated and in the right side up?

·
Registered
78 Posts
It will be interesting to see if users here provide information about battery life. One would suppose that using the fob's buttons a lot would deplete the battery faster than just using its proximity feature, although even this must use some power. Maybe we should start a sort of office pool to see who can get the most life. HPH

·
Registered
323 Posts
Regarding battery life, I got my HR-V in June of 2015 and have just over 46,000 miles on it.
Just last week I grabbed my back-up key fob which does not get used that often and I received the low battery warning. I changed the battery and all is good.
Yesterday, I received the low battery warning on my main fob. So, at least in my case the battery life was much more dependent on time as opposed to how often the buttons were used given that both fob batteries depleted at about the same time.

·
Super Moderator
1,424 Posts
Regarding battery life, I got my HR-V in June of 2015 and have just over 46,000 miles on it.
Just last week I grabbed my back-up key fob which does not get used that often and I received the low battery warning. I changed the battery and all is good.
Yesterday, I received the low battery warning on my main fob. So, at least in my case the battery life was much more dependent on time as opposed to how often the buttons were used given that both fob batteries depleted at about the same time.
I got the warning light a couple weeks ago for my back-up key Fob as well. I was surprised since it mostly just hangs on our key rack. I'll post again when my main fob gets the warning light. I just received my set of Energizer lithium ECR2032 batteries. These are supposed to last a longer. We'll see.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a reminder for some of us here with a two years old HRV. Honda recommends the battery be replaced every two years. It is a single 3V CR2032 battery for the Smart entry fob. My old battery read about 2.6V when I replaced it.

Just confirming. You are correct in stating that we need to be aware of the time.

My car was manufactured in August 2015, and I purchased it in September. My main ‘Smart entry fob’ gave me the low battery warning yesterday. My backup one was fine, but changed them both this morning. The parts person showed me how easy it was to replace the battery (without breaking the remote) so December 2019 I will be replacing them myself before the warning on the dashboard appears. Very slick.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Just confirming. You are correct in stating that we need to be aware of the time.
My backup one was fine, but changed them both this morning.
Just to confirm, replacing batteries early is optional.
I waited till each of my 2015 FOB's were giving the low battery error (both have happened in this year).

Even if the battery goes completely dead, you can still start and operate the car.
Just hold the FOB on the start button, works even with no battery in it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
starting vehicle with dead FOB battery

But just as a reminder even if the battery is completely dead, it will still start the car.
Simply hold the key FOB against the start button and push, it works even with the battery removed
I'll attach the page from the manual too, dd.
Yesterday, for the 1st time, I got the KEY BATT message in the dashboard. I purchased the 2016 HR-V in Sept. 2015.

mpmn04

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts