Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same timing with me. What was interesting is the spare fob that was never used and just sat in a drawer needed a battery replacement just a few weeks later. I guess using it doesn't wear it out much faster. I don't use it that often. I tend to lock the car by pushing the button on the door handle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fob died when I replaced battery?

Hey everyone, I followed the instructions n this thread and replaced the battery in my fob, however the warning light is still on my dashboard and the fob isn't working. This was a brand new package of batteries and the correct type CR 2032. This happen to anyone else? Do I really need to go to the dealer to fix this?
I had the same exact problem today. The key fob doesn't work at all. Even when I put the old battery back in. Did you ever find a solution to this? :(

·
Registered
435 Posts
A couple of things when it comes to these FOBs and batteries. First off, funny story, I had the battery light come on and thought, no biggie, I always keep CR2032s laying around. I swap it out, go out to the car, and the battery light was no longer displaying. Then, the next day, my wife and I were going out and the battery light came back on. I found out that she kept her FOB in her purse even when she wasn't driving. Well, the HRV connected to her FOB before it connected to mine and the battery light was actually for her FOB. So, keep that in mind if you and your spouse both have the FOBs on you because you have no way of knowing exactly which FOB it is connected to.

Now, second thing to keep in mind and be careful with. When I was replacing the battery, the rubber piece which holds the buttons popped out along with the 3 buttons. They are not held in by any clip or anything so be aware of this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Remote transmitter battery

A picture of a key and the word "battery" showed on the instrument panel on my 2016. I don't see any info. in the manual as to whether there is a battery to replace.. Only how to start in an emergency.
1. Is it possible to replace a battery within the fob?
2. The vehicle is still under warranty. I'm not sure if then fob is a covered item
Thank you

·
Registered
408 Posts
A picture of a key and the word "battery" showed on the instrument panel on my 2016. I don't see any info. in the manual as to whether there is a battery to replace.. Only how to start in an emergency.
2. The vehicle is still under warranty. I'm not sure if then fob is a covered item
Thank you
The very first post in this thread shows you how to replace the battery in the fob. It’s a diagram on a page in your manual. When you push the lower button on the very bottom it will release the little compartment holding the battery. Keep a steady hand and don’t drop things.

You will need a CR2032 (button) battery that is easily obtained in a drugstore or online. The dealer is not going to replace the battery in the fob under warranty. It’s an inexpensive easy fix everyone can do. Work on it over a table, not on your lap sitting in the car. If you have a second fob, it’s probably a good idea to change the battery in that one, too.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Thank you
As Gizmogal said it's super easy to replace in this fob, but if you really want a dealership to replace it they might. I went for an unrelated issue and they replaced mine for free a while back.

It cost me more in gas to go there than to buy a battery though...so

·
Registered
538 Posts
A hey fob battery is only used when one of it's buttons are pushed or it is in prolixity of one of the car's hidden antena's (by the front doors, the rear door or the start/stop button). The start button will work with a dead fob battery (or even no battery at all) by holding it near the start button first. Don't forget that the car can be put in the accessory mode or on mode by pushing the start button either 1 or 2 times without pushing down on the brake petal first. And the fob needs to be in the vehicle to start

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I got the warning light a couple weeks ago for my back-up key Fob as well. I was surprised since it mostly just hangs on our key rack. I'll post again when my main fob gets the warning light. I just received my set of Energizer lithium ECR2032 batteries. These are supposed to last a longer. We'll see.
The fob battery warning light just came back on again about 2 years after I replaced them. A 2 year battery life is pretty good with these Energizer Lithium's. I decided to go with the same battery. Has anyone gotten a longer life with a different battery?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the low battery warning. Changed battary in both keys. The warning kept coming on. Then I measured the voltage of the batteries. Both were 3.0 + Volts. Then it had to be software related. I found the answer from some explaining it for a Honda CR-V. It is as follows:

"If you have a push button start, get in the car, (without your foot on the break to start it) press the start button twice so that the indicator lights show. Within 5 seconds hold the lock button on your key fob for a few seconds, then release it. You might hear a light click. Then turn the car off. When you start the car, it will be reset. This is a built in reminder for you to check your key fob battery. This doesn't mean your battery is dead. The vehicle has a timer set to remind you to check your battery life. You might want to have your battery tested before you pay to replace it. "

That was the fix.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts