Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I was playing chauffeur for my bride as we ran errands. At one point she was just dropping off a package the UPS store, so I stayed in the car with the vehicle running. When she got out of the car I heard a beep, and then a message popped up on the dash that said something to the effect of "Key not in vehicle". Odd... I had the key in my pocket, and she didn't have one at all. When she got back into the car, the message disappeared. I can't find the error in the manual, so I'm at a complete loss. Not to mention, the KEY WAS IN MY POCKET. Odd...

Has anyone else experienced this?
2016 HRV EX-L AWD

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
386 Posts
Sounds like SEX DISCRIMINATION to me! :ROFLMAO: <kidding>

++++++

In our other cars, our phone isn't always sensed when it is in my pocket. Maybe its something similar...

Probably depends on the in-car location of the receiver for the FOB.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Was there any phone, or other device ( even large metal keychain ) in the same pocket that was acting as shielding so the car could not detect the fob ?

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,234 Posts
Do you keep your key in a faraday pouch?

Do you both have keys to the vehicle, if so, did your Duly Intended's key register with the vehicle before yours had the chance?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@John35g My phone was in a phone holder on the dash, while my fob was in the coin pocket of my jeans.

@Hadleys Taxi If I kept the fob in my pocket in a Faraday cage, that would likely make it impossible to use the auto-unlock feature as well as the push button start. The second fob was back at home, miles away.

·
Registered
626 Posts
There are many quirks with the keyless start systems in many other cars in addition to Honda's and the HRV.
Ford has had many TSB/recalls for firmware updates to their system over the years.

In your case, it was either a quirk/glitch or perhaps the battery is getting weak in the FOB you were using.
A voltmeter will tell you the status of the battery in the FOB.

Reactions: Fearturtle44

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had that same indicator. I have a 2017 HR-V. There is a known problem with the 2016-18 models. They just replaced my start button, sensor and circuit board under a warranty extension for this item. The light was yellow on the left side, looked like a key with an !, if that is the same as your error.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts