Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2016 HR-V EX. Doors respond to the remote fine. Three months ago, (with my foot on the brake) I noticed that the push button start did not turn the car on after a single push. Usually worked on the 2nd or 3rd try.

After a week of that, I disconnected the battery. Car started after a single press of the button. Eventually went back to the initial problem. I repeated this to see if I got the same result and sure enough, same phenomenon.

Three months down, it progressed to not even turning on after a repeated push (+5 or more) of the start button while the key was in my pocket. So I had to put the key up to the button and still press the button a few times.

There is a video of a guy who replaced his keyless access remote module on his Accord.

If this is the solution, the control unit is 300. (PN 38329-T7W-A02, used to be -A01) Afraid what the dealer will charge to install and reprogram if this in fact is the Issue. Anyone else have an issue like this? Wondering if there any other fixes like a fuse replacement that resolved the issue?

I'm beyond warranty at this point at 60K+.

Thanks for your input (in advance).

Dos

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just to be sure, replace the key fob battery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to be sure, replace the key fob battery.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry forgot to mention that I replaced batteries in both keyfobs.

Called the salesman that sold me the car. He suggested that I replace the car battery since it has been almost 3 years and I'm at 60K? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
495 Posts
That is a really strong possibility. The batteries on the smaller Hondas are just not that strong, a friend of mine has a 2.5-year-old civic and he just replaced his for the first time. I got three years out of one on a 2013 civic . You can take the battery out and take it to any auto parts store and they will do a "load test" not a postage test, and that will tell you how much health you really have the battery. They can come out to the car and check it.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a really strong possibility. The batteries on the smaller Hondas are just not that strong, a friend of mine has a 2.5-year-old civic and he just replaced his for the first time. I got three years out of one on a 2013 civic . You can take the battery out and take it to any auto parts store and they will do a "load test" not a postage test, and that will tell you how much health you really have the battery. They can come out to the car and check it.....
I'll give it a shot and keep you posted!

·
Registered
495 Posts
All cars these days do really strange things when low on voltage.....

·
Registered
495 Posts
If the batteries that come stock are crappy, any suggestions on a more robust battery? Perhaps one has more CCA?
I replaced my civic batteries with 600cca interstates....if in the cold weather, i'd look for an AGM type. The batt that comes in the car is fine when its new, but start monitoring it when you get a few years on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the battery has enough voltage and current to crank the engine, it should operate the remote system.

Right exactly but it seems like the hypothesis is that even though the battery can crank the engine, there are still some funny things that happen to other electrical.
I'm now finding that my 12V lighter accessory ports both front and rear are not working either.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Have you had the battery checked? With these tiny batteries and all the electronics in the HR-V, it makes sense to replace the battery after 3 years and 60K miles.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If the batteries that come stock are crappy, any suggestions on a more robust battery? Perhaps one has more CCA?

Currently the two highest rated 51Rs in Consumer Reports are NAPA The Legend 7551R and Duracell 51R. They both claims 500 CCA. Looking at the photographs in CR, they look identical except for the labeling. The Optima 8073-167 D51R Yellow Top claims 450 CCA.

·
Registered
51 Posts
mine's doing a strange thing.... I got the Smart Entry System Indicator light stay on all the time... but the keyless entry works perfect... even I can lock and unlock car without pressing the key fob, and start/stop the car normally... so I went to the dealer to check it and they reset the dash light, but they told me that it will show up in some point, cus the scanner said that the start/stop button is malfunction.... so I think I need to replace it soon... btw its about 50 usd cheapper here in Mexico than in USA

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So checked the battery and tried a load test on startup using a multimeter. Video here.

Min Voltage did not come correctly on my multimeter.
So I just swapped the battery with a new Costco battery.

First push of the button, worked well. Today, it took a few times to press. What's weird is my front and rear lighter accessory ports still don't work and my cruise control did not respond on my commute today. Will check fuses next.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two days later the Smart Entry System Indicator light reappeared. Does removing and then replacing battery reset the fault codes?
If not, and it is in fact a true reappearance then it really might be the sensor (don't believe it is the actual button but the sensor module in the original post).

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The first time my drivers door switch failed, every time I got in the car I would get an error related to the keyless entry system. It would say something like key not present, even though it was in the car. It seemed to have something to do with the logic of the door switch.... If the door did not open don't look for a key? Something like that.

I know it's my answer for everything, but if you open the door do your interior lights come on instantly?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The first time my drivers door switch failed, every time I got in the car I would get an error related to the keyless entry system. It would say something like key not present, even though it was in the car. It seemed to have something to do with the logic of the door switch.... If the door did not open don't look for a key? Something like that.

I know it's my answer for everything, but if you open the door do your interior lights come on instantly?
I actually don't have issues with the doors, car responds to the keyfob quite well. It's starting the car with the push button start that is the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 EX manual trans. Just bought it in Dec 2017. I too am experiencing issues with start up. Everything powers up but the car won't start. I also noticed the brake feels more stiff than usual as I'm trying to start my car. I acutally experienced this once before when I first bought the car but I just thought it was inexperience with electronic ignitions. Now just today it happened again and didn't realize other people have been having the same issue until i jumped onto this forum. SMH. Need to call Honda in the morning.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts