Honda HR-V Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Labour ..... £ / $ 148.40 ???? Cheating Swindling Bastards. I Did it myself in UK. Second Hand switch £30. Time taken to change switch - 5 mins.
No need to reset Car Brain, No need to disconnect battery...... Just change the switch and it works. I did mine 4-5 months ago with battery still connected - and it works perfect. Nil Car Brain problems.
Please see my earlier post. I really need to do a video of it.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
366 Posts
£ / $ 148.40 ???? Cheating Swindling Bastards. I Did it myself in UK. Second Hand switch £30. Time taken to change switch - 5 mins.
No need to reset Car Brain, No need to disconnect battery...... Just change the switch and it works. I did mine 6 months ago with battery still connected - nd it works perfect. Nil Car Brain problems.
Disconnecting the battery is usually recommended on the off chance you short something. In those situations, one hopes that a fuse blows before something more expensive fries, but sometimes the fuse doesn't blow and a more expensive part does fry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, I've got an Australian 2015 HRV limited Edition with the same problem. Are all these switches the same or model specific?

·
Super Moderator
1,419 Posts
Hi, I've got an Australian 2015 HRV limited Edition with the same problem. Are all these switches the same or model specific?
Before looking for a new switch, I recommend you try cleaning it. See my post here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Before looking for a new switch, I recommend you try cleaning it. See my post here.
HI SlowFosho and others,

I followed the guides on this site for removing the switch. I used (very carefully )- a flat bladed knife, Removal was no trouble. The connection was cleaned and I sprayed them with a very light spray of inox. Reconnected and havn't had a problem since. Bottom line the followers on the forum saved me a small fortune. Many many thanks to all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also had the light come on intermittently for 2 months. I took the existing switch out, sprayed some electronic cleaner on the pins of the switch and the plug and the light has not come on again for the last 7 days. It has come on in any 7 day period for the past 2 months.
So before buying a new switch try cleaning contacts.
Not sure how long the cleaning will keep the problem away but that seems to be the problem.
Just wanted to provide update.
After 1 month of cleaning contacts, the light came back on. So I cleaned it again and the light came back on after 15 days.
So my conclusion is cleaning helps the light stay off for a while but is not the permanent solution.
Looks like I may have to try to change the switch.

For those who have bought and is using a new switched purchased on aliexpress, Is it working ok so far? Any issues with the cheap switch from aliexpress?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wonder it roughing up the pins with sandpaper would make a difference? I did order one from Aliexpress and its on its way, just to have on hand.

·
Super Moderator
1,419 Posts
After 1 month of cleaning contacts, the light came back on. So I cleaned it again and the light came back on after 15 days.
So my conclusion is cleaning helps the light stay off for a while but is not the permanent solution.

For those who have bought and is using a new switched purchased on aliexpress, Is it working ok so far? Any issues with the cheap switch from aliexpress?
I've had the Aliexpress start button for 3 months now and it's still working fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
HI SlowFosho and others,

I followed the guides on this site for removing the switch. I used (very carefully )- a flat bladed knife, Removal was no trouble. The connection was cleaned and I sprayed them with a very light spray of inox. Reconnected and havn't had a problem since. Bottom line the followers on the forum saved me a small fortune. Many many thanks to all.
I spoke too soon. After numerous starts the surfaced again last night. Looks like I will try Ali Express for a new one. Updates to follow.

·
Registered
366 Posts

I spoke too soon. After numerous starts the surfaced again last night. Looks like I will try Ali Express for a new one. Updates to follow.
Did you guys use dielectric grease after cleaning?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you guys use dielectric grease after cleaning?
I used dielectric grease the first time but did not the second time I cleaned the connector/switch.

I'm still debating whether to get the switch from Aliexpress or just from the dealer. The dealer is quoting $208 canadian.
I'm just wondering if I will even get the Aliexpress package if I order from them. (with the customs, post office delays.... etc...)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm sure you'll get it from AliExpress eventually... it might take forever and then some. I bought a control set for my Honda Ruckus a while back and it did take quite some time, but it did get here.

That said, you could buy the switch for slightly less than the dealer online (@ $139). https://www.bernardiparts.com/Products/SWITCH-ASSY-ENGINE-START-and-STOP__35881-T4N-702.aspx

At least its in the US... you could try seeing if it's worthwhile to have it shipped across the border or maybe find an online Canadian Honda dealer for similar price.

They list a 2019 version for cheaper but if you go to the individual item page, it says discontinued. HondaPartsNow does have it listed https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~0~35881-t4n-h12.html?Make=Honda&Model=HR-V&Year=2019&Submodel=&Filter=(bt=3,4045;et=2,4)

·
Registered
848 Posts
I ordered one from Aliexpress and it took about 3 weeks to get it here. I don't have the issue (yet) but am ready for when it kicks in. I'll keep the original switch and clean it up as a backup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm sure you'll get it from AliExpress eventually... it might take forever and then some. I bought a control set for my Honda Ruckus a while back and it did take quite some time, but it did get here.

That said, you could buy the switch for slightly less than the dealer online (@ $139). https://www.bernardiparts.com/Products/SWITCH-ASSY-ENGINE-START-and-STOP__35881-T4N-702.aspx

At least its in the US... you could try seeing if it's worthwhile to have it shipped across the border or maybe find an online Canadian Honda dealer for similar price.

They list a 2019 version for cheaper but if you go to the individual item page, it says discontinued. HondaPartsNow does have it listed https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~0~35881-t4n-h12.html?Make=Honda&Model=HR-V&Year=2019&Submodel=&Filter=(bt=3,4045;et=2,4)
Interesting how the part # changed for 2019 HRV. Did Honda realize it was a big issue and redesigned the 2019 switch. I wonder.
According to hondapartsnow, the 2019 switch is not compatible with previous years.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Interesting how the part # changed for 2019 HRV. Did Honda realize it was a big issue and redesigned the 2019 switch. I wonder.
According to hondapartsnow, the 2019 switch is not compatible with previous years.
Yeah, not sure whats going on there. I would've thought they'd be compatible, but who knows.

I doubt Honda actually designed/redesigned it. They more likely tried a different manufacturer, since they look pretty generic and you see PTS buttons in lots of brands.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm a little worried about using it as it's an insulator.

Regards Tom
While it is an insulator, when you shove the plug in, the pins make direct contact. Like Einz said, its to keep the moisture out. You don't want conducting grease, since it'll be one massive glob covering ALL the pins

81 - 100 of 131 Posts