Honda HR-V Forum banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
310 Posts
I'm a little worried about using it as it's an insulator.

Regards Tom
While it is an insulator, when you shove the plug in, the pins make direct contact. Like Einz said, its to keep the moisture out. You don't want conducting grease, since it'll be one massive glob covering ALL the pins

·
Registered
26 Posts
Used WD contact on the original switch. Hasn't missed a beat since. The new switch has arrived from Aliexpress but I won't install it until it starts playing up again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Honda mechanic showed me how to replace the switch , he took out the lower panel and that took the switch panel too. After gaining access , I tried spraying the switch terminals with Philips 390CCS to waterproof socket material , it worked for a day then light reappeared. So I put in the new switch from hondapartsnow with date code of April 2019 0419) and put a plastic shroud wrapping the switch and also the cable . Lets see how long it will last . Trying to open the old switch but there are too many latches, difficult to disassemble without breaking some catches . I can peep to the PCB and it looks like the pcb traces were made too close to each other so are affected by humidity and dirt giving leakage that can be detected by the system computer. Hopefully the April 2019 model lives up to its upgraded materials. I did not take out the main battery while replacing the switch 3 times .

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The Honda mechanic showed me how to replace the switch , he took out the lower panel and that took the switch panel too. After gaining access , I tried spraying the switch terminals with Philips 390CCS , it worked for a day then light reappeared. So I put in the new switch from hondapartsnow with date code of April 2019 and put a plastic shroud wrapping the switch and also the cable . Lets see how long it will last . Trying to open the old switch but there are too many latches, difficult to disassemble without breaking some catches . I can peep to the PCB and it looks like the pcb traces were made too close to each other so are affected by humidity and dirt giving leakage that can be detected by the system computer. Hopefully the April 2019 lives up to its upgraded materials.
Did you use dielectric grease on the pins?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi ,

no , I dont have dielectric grease , I have silicon grease the stuff used for soldering iron anti seize but did not put.
The date code of the new switch is 04/19 printed on upper left portion ff the switch rear face . I read somewhere that it has new material in it . So the $25 from Aliexpress may be the old rev switch. Those who buy check the date code .

Noel

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hi ,

no , I dont have dielectric grease , I have silicon grease the stuff used for soldering iron anti seize but did not put.
The date code of the new switch is 04/19 printed on upper left portion ff the switch rear face . I read somewhere that it has new material in it . So the $25 from Aliexpress may be the old rev switch. Those who buy check the date code .

Noel
Dielectric grease seems to be what keeps the light from coming back. Here's my $25 switch from Aliexpress. It has a build date of 03/13. I added dielectric grease on it before installing it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It took my HRV 3 years 3months before the check light started coming ON . I live in a place where the Humidity can go up to 85-90% during rainy season. If your new switch goes beyond that then the grease helped . Perhaps dust and humidity buildup on the plug / socket gave the leak . The grease you put did not go all the way inside the peephole to the PCB did it ? Toyota puts dielectric grease on alternator output connectors ,well that was the norm wayback 1996.
noelmem5

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm tempted to buy one to have on hand just in case I need it. But I'm left wondering if a $25 button is the same quality as a $150+ one. The manufacturer does have a plant in China as well as many other countries, so is likely legit. But that price difference is incredible.
Im sure that its just dealer markup. My old IS300 used HID lights that were hundreds of dollars from Lexus and even the auto stores, I said heck it and bought some off amazon for like 10$ each! They looked amazing and worked for YEARS!!! Its how the rich get rich I guess

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to provide update.
After 1 month of cleaning contacts, the light came back on. So I cleaned it again and the light came back on after 15 days.
So my conclusion is cleaning helps the light stay off for a while but is not the permanent solution.
Looks like I may have to try to change the switch.

For those who have bought and is using a new switched purchased on aliexpress, Is it working ok so far? Any issues with the cheap switch from aliexpress?
It think using the dialectic grease is the way to go, the spray evaporates after a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2016 HR-V EX. Doors respond to the remote fine. Three months ago, (with my foot on the brake) I noticed that the push button start did not turn the car on after a single push. Usually worked on the 2nd or 3rd try.

After a week of that, I disconnected the battery. Car started after a single press of the button. Eventually went back to the initial problem. I repeated this to see if I got the same result and sure enough, same phenomenon.

Three months down, it progressed to not even turning on after a repeated push (+5 or more) of the start button while the key was in my pocket. So I had to put the key up to the button and still press the button a few times.

There is a video of a guy who replaced his keyless access remote module on his Accord.

If this is the solution, the control unit is 300. (PN 38329-T7W-A02, used to be -A01) Afraid what the dealer will charge to install and reprogram if this in fact is the Issue. Anyone else have an issue like this? Wondering if there any other fixes like a fuse replacement that resolved the issue?

I'm beyond warranty at this point at 60K+.

Thanks for your input (in advance).

Dos
Yes our 2016 HRV is starting to do the same
I don't know what to do aswell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Just did the start button replace on my 2016 HRV. I took pictures along the way:

I'll start a quick 'how to thread' shortly because this seems like a fairly normal thing to go wrong, and it's easy to fix.
I don't have Flickr

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi , I found my sparkplug grease ...so thats the Dielectric grease you were referring to !
Alright , I will lightly grease the terminals of the old switch specially the pcb then try blow with compressed air so it gets coated to more area of the pcb too , it will be my spare should the new one give the leak in another 3 yrs time . Now trying to open the switch - 3 latches ...difficult to open - oh well future project , it will be more effective if the printed ckt board insides were coated as well , my thought

noelmem5 IMG_20200607_083058.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had the same issue for the past year and a half. It started just the way you described. I wanted to see how long I go before I needed towed or a recall came out on it. It got to the point where it would start right away or I’d have to press it 100 times take a break and do rituals to get it started. I just dropped it off at the dealer to be fixed. I’m curious to what the fix will be since everyone that posts this question never returns to update what the fix is. I’ll update don’t worry. And we should start a petition to get this recalled and reimburse the people who had to pay for it because apparently this is a big issue for the 16 hrv. The new HRV they loaned me has a regular key ignition so they might’ve knew what was up.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
310 Posts
I’ve had the same issue for the past year and a half. It started just the way you described. I wanted to see how long I go before I needed towed or a recall came out on it. It got to the point where it would start right away or I’d have to press it 100 times take a break and do rituals to get it started. I just dropped it off at the dealer to be fixed. I’m curious to what the fix will be since everyone that posts this question never returns to update what the fix is. I’ll update don’t worry. And we should start a petition to get this recalled and reimburse the people who had to pay for it because apparently this is a big issue for the 16 hrv. The new HRV they loaned me has a regular key ignition so they might’ve knew what was up.
Hello, mr-I-can-only-assume-is-a-spambot-or-one-hit-wonder!

The loaner they gave you is an LX trim, possibly Sport, if you're lucky. But those two are the lower priced trims that use keys. The higher priced trims use push to start button. It was true with the 2016s (minus the Sport trim existing then) and is still true for 2020 model year versions. The dealer most likely gave you an LX, cause it's a cheaper option for them to keep around as a higher trim earns them more profit from being sold off. So your statement doesn't mean much of anything.

If you had actually read the thread, you'd notice that at least two people actually did update with some results. One with success and one with failure (which might've turned into a 2nd success after advice).

As for the recall... I'm not against it. But for the moment, I can't really say I'm for it either. So yeah, I'm rather indifferent about it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Dielectric grease seems to be what keeps the light from coming back. Here's my $25 switch from Aliexpress. It has a build date of 03/13. I added dielectric grease on it before installing it.
I see lots of us old timers are having this issue.
I've had zero start problems, but this light has been coming on for a few weeks.
I was thinking Amazon instead of Aliexpress as it might come faster.
But after checking the delivery date, Ali will arrive sooner for half the price!

Take care, as least we don't drive much anymore these days with Covid!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I see lots of us old timers are having this issue.
I've had zero start problems, but this light has been coming on for a few weeks.
I was thinking Amazon instead of Aliexpress as it might come faster.
But after checking the delivery date, Ali will arrive sooner for half the price!

Take care, as least we don't drive much anymore these days with Covid!
You can try contact cleaner and dielectric grease. I bought a new start button and installed it but then decided to clean the contacts on the old one with electronic cleaning spray, add dielectric grease, and then I reinstalled it. That was about 8 months ago and haven't had the light come back on. I still carry the new one in the car in case I ever need to replace it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
the spray contact cleaner oil type in my case (Philips 390CCS) did not last more than a day , there were others who tried the WD40 and problem came back after 2 weeks , SlowFosho's dielectric grease seem to have lasted for almost a year now , my case HRV2016 had the lights May 2019 and it was Humidity related - I replaced the switch since I already had it for $150 ( manuf date April2019- honda claimed it to be of new material) from hondapartsnow ...ended as a gift to me by bro-in-law in the US , I installed it January2020 and wrapping the switch assy including the cable with plastic material to slowdown dust accumulation. So far no CheckRemoteStartSystem light

The $25 from aliexpress would be alright , it is easy to replace anyway once you know how

noelmem5

101 - 120 of 125 Posts