Honda HR-V Forum banner

121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The article I read said the light may indicate a problem with the start push button, or the key.
I switched from key 1 to key 2, light has not come on in 12 starts. (And its been on steady for a few weeks.)
So maybe it is a defect in the key fob?
New start button has shipped, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a 2016 HR-V EX. Doors respond to the remote fine. Three months ago, (with my foot on the brake) I noticed that the push button start did not turn the car on after a single push. Usually worked on the 2nd or 3rd try.

After a week of that, I disconnected the battery. Car started after a single press of the button. Eventually went back to the initial problem. I repeated this to see if I got the same result and sure enough, same phenomenon.

Three months down, it progressed to not even turning on after a repeated push (+5 or more) of the start button while the key was in my pocket. So I had to put the key up to the button and still press the button a few times.

There is a video of a guy who replaced his keyless access remote module on his Accord.

If this is the solution, the control unit is 300. (PN 38329-T7W-A02, used to be -A01) Afraid what the dealer will charge to install and reprogram if this in fact is the Issue. Anyone else have an issue like this? Wondering if there any other fixes like a fuse replacement that resolved the issue?

I'm beyond warranty at this point at 60K+.

Thanks for your input (in advance).

Dos
I unfortunately am having the same issue. But when I keep trying either the car powers on withe the radio on or every indicator comes on the dash and flickers. My key Fob still locked the doors. So it can't be the battery because I had my new battery for a month and everythi.g else comes on. I only had my vehicle for 4 years. Before I could put the fob against the starter and the car would start right up but now it won't do that. Could it be the starter. I was on my way out for work and this happens

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a 2016 HR-V EX. Doors respond to the remote fine. Three months ago, (with my foot on the brake) I noticed that the push button start did not turn the car on after a single push. Usually worked on the 2nd or 3rd try.

After a week of that, I disconnected the battery. Car started after a single press of the button. Eventually went back to the initial problem. I repeated this to see if I got the same result and sure enough, same phenomenon.

Three months down, it progressed to not even turning on after a repeated push (+5 or more) of the start button while the key was in my pocket. So I had to put the key up to the button and still press the button a few times.

There is a video of a guy who replaced his keyless access remote module on his Accord.

If this is the solution, the control unit is 300. (PN 38329-T7W-A02, used to be -A01) Afraid what the dealer will charge to install and reprogram if this in fact is the Issue. Anyone else have an issue like this? Wondering if there any other fixes like a fuse replacement that resolved the issue?

I'm beyond warranty at this point at 60K+.

Thanks for your input (in advance).

Dos
Not only am I going through the same issue I am also getting an indicator that there is a problem with the Smart Entry System. My vehicle is currently in the shop and was told battery was dying slowly (had current battery for a lil over a month, and it would be $185.00 for a new battery) which I disagreed do to everything was still operational. The car just wouldn’t start and it was said I needed a new stater button replacement ($500.00) atbhe Honda dealership. Luckily my warranty will cove the starter replacement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not only am I going through the same issue I am also getting an indicator that there is a problem with the Smart Entry System. My vehicle is currently in the shop and was told battery was dying slowly (had current battery for a lil over a month, and it would be $185.00 for a new battery) which I disagreed do to everything was still operational. The car just wouldn’t start and it was said I needed a new stater button replacement ($500.00) atbhe Honda dealership. Luckily my warranty will cove the starter replacement.
usually the main battery lasts for 2 years after that it must be replaced even if it is still working . When a weak battery tries to crank the engine , the output voltage will drop and lots of electronics does not like the supply dropping to around 8.5v , they may not go back /boot to correct condition. Lots of subsystems and the keyless entry is just one of them . There will also be problem when a new battery is installed , when the second terminal is put ( usually the Negative) and it was not a one time secure connection - cable was let to touch the terminal several times before the clamp was securely fastened - problems may occur - some subsystem may not have booted correctly bec of interrupted connection . This case the Negative cable just needs to be reseated . One sure touch to the battery terminal and secured .

as for the key battery - its in the manual - replace after 2 years with fresh one . Dont wait until the battery dies

noelmem5

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
You can try contact cleaner and dielectric grease. I bought a new start button and installed it but then decided to clean the contacts on the old one with electronic cleaning spray, add dielectric grease, and then I reinstalled it. That was about 8 months ago and haven't had the light come back on. I still carry the new one in the car in case I ever need to replace it.
25 days later
$25 US for part on aliexpress
Did that even take 3 minutes to change, a couple screw drivers to pop off the panel
This forum is awesome, thanks everyone for all you do!

121 - 126 of 126 Posts