Honda HR-V Forum banner

141 - 145 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
My car wouldnt start this morning. Got it towed to the dealership so they can replace the start button. They had previously replace the battery but it didnt fix the issue.

If your warranty is expired I would just buy the manual and try to fix it myself.

Here's my timeline how it started.
Smart Entry System Indicator came on and off -> Key fob batteries replaced -> Car battery replaced -> Car wouldnt start -> Replaced Start Button.
Did you fixed it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought an expensive comm-link cable that the dealership uses to allow Honda's technician software to run, diagnose and recalibrate/reset the HRV's system components. I can confirm that they will not be able to find the error causing the average commonality among the HRVs that have this issue. The technicians will not do a real diagnostic sweep. After running all checks in depth from my computer while linked into my vehicle, I found that it would be to their time-management vs profitability disadvantage to even committ to such a task. They should do it regardless, but- this experience gave me perspective about what I'm more likely to get for my money if I ask a Honda dealership to run a (full diagnosis/recalibration check). The answer is a basic 5 minute check at most. Tops. Don't let me discourage you, but also try not to get your hopes up with the dealership and their warranty. They're only able to guess what the issue is, their software will not pin point this specific issue.

I've been having this issue for the past few months. I changed my battery in my fob, changed by car battery last month, and am still having this issue. I sometimes can get it to start easier by holding the fob close to the start button. The dashboard icon about low battery in the fob is on, and will actually intermittently go off every once in awhile. I called my dealership today finally to have them look at it, and prepared myself for the ugly bill I'd have to pay. They notified me that there's actually an extended warranty for specifically this issue. (I have the 2016 HR-V). If the diagnostics show the code associated with the known problem, they'll fix it for free! Might be worth getting a hold of your dealership on this one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2016 HRV 70,000 plus miles.
I had the "repeated push" problem with the START button plus the KEY idiot light coming on nearly every startup. Occasionally a DOOR OPEN light would join the parade. The starting problem went from occasional to often requiring multiple pushes. New fob batteries did not help.

Do look at the videos of how to dismantle the switch and clean the internal contacts. I did so and since doing the job, which was relatively simple and quick, the problems vanished.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a notice in the mail stating that the warranty for the start button has been extended.
My wife's HRV has started on the first time every time, but it has had the keyless start error light on for the last few years.
The warranty states that the start switch will only be replaced if the car does not start on the first press. Am I reading that wrong?

141 - 145 of 145 Posts