Honda HR-V Forum banner

Kit badger coast to coast 2021 day trip to Vegas

3K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Han Seoul-Oh 
#1 ·
Took a Thursday off to run out to Vegas and back for an event and decided for reasons of California road terror to go at 1am. Unfortunately all of the rest stops on the 10 were closed because California needs that money for its massive influx of entitlements and caltrans kickbacks - if you live here you've probably noticed the statewide road chaos since Jan 1 and the never employed millionaires from out state everywhere.

Started by calling it a night at the Tesla supercharger in Baker, lots of actual working cameras unlike most places in CA and truckers on guard for thieves = relatively safe. It rained the day before and the desert smells amazing BTW when it does.

wakey wakey

Worlds largest thermometer in Baker

Alien Beef Jerky has turned into a complex WTF this was a small part.

See less See more
#5 ·
Iphone camera did not do the beauty of this place justice, hard to understand unless you go.

Just a split second later lightning hit the ground 300 feet away - odd timing, I was listening to the Daryl Cooper podcast about the Armenian Genocide and the death march across the desert, very odd.

One of the many border crossings between states that was closed so I hung out in this park for a minute, one of the best I have ever been to.

Water though a dam is usually quite clear and cold AF apparently.

#6 ·

london bridges still around...still around

Poston - one of the Japanese internment camps during WW2 - very sad time in our history, twice repeated by democrat presidents incarcerating Americans for their nationality.

Needles crossing into CA was closed, this looked better but I felt like I was being set up for ambush by Cartels....

#7 ·
Original plan was to stop at the salton sea, which on a full moon warm and breazy night is amazing but insane truckers on high winds took over the freeway and the imported entitlements werer fast and furious around them, one guy was toying a toy trailer at 105 and nearly hit me like a dozen times as traffic would slow etc. Not worth 8 extra hours if an accident happens to get home. 3 am Barstow, nearly thereish.

#8 ·
Dude! This is awesome! Been thinking about doing a road trip with my new HRV and this makes me want to even more. lol. Thanks for the pictures!

I kinda want to just sleep in my car to save money on a road trip (prob shower at a gym or something). But I've been seeing many stores, Walmart especially, no longer allow overnight parking or sleeping in their lots.

Are Tesla charging stations good places for overnight parking for our HRV's? Any other sleeping spot suggestions?

Thinking about doing a trip from Cali to Washington.

#9 ·
When travelling across France, I would sleep in my car at very basic Aires de Repos. I carried a wash bag and travel towel in the boot of the car and used the facilities to have a bird bath, however, I used bottled water for brushing my teeth. I thought about buying a Foot Pump Camping Shower, but at the time they were too bulky and as I get older I prefer the luxuries in life. In otherwords, my wife insists we stay in hotels!!

I would suggest when planning your route to search for websites for the related state on car camping.

#10 ·
Tesla’s sc places are good becuase they have cameras and tons of mosey people in and out and all the cars are videoing all the time, plus they don’t have a gagillion lights on like Walmart. A lot of people still sleep there or target etc. if you are taking pch do not sleep in San Fran it’s insane there. Actually I’ll post up the route I took a couple years back tonight, a lot of cool stuff.

deffinately get a cargo cover, folding sleeping pad and sleeping bag if you can.

#14 ·
Sounds like a good alternative. lol.

So I tried sleeping in my car overnight at a Lowes just to see if it would work. No one bothered me which was a good start. But 2 things made it a not so good sleep.

1) I used a foldable sleep pad for camping, but that bump where the bottom of the seat meets the trunk made it hard to sleep. If I turned on my side, that bump pressed against my rib cage which was very unpleasant. Any suggestions? I wonder if a twin size inflatable bed would fit in the back? 🤔

2) It's hot! It was about 70 degrees F when I tried to sleep. I cracked the moonroof, but it was still very mucky. Any tips on dealing with the heat? I'm afraid to lower the windows because I don't want to be asleep and have someone rob me. lol.

#11 ·
Thank YOU for all the excellent pics and info! So much to see in these areas and regions! I took up a second residence in Southern Utah to get away from crazy CA, but have to go back to SoCal once/month for work, so I've figured out when best to drive to avoid the SoCal traffic.

#12 ·
If you are headed north Point Mugu Naval Air Station to Grants Pass these are a couple stops - I would back track from grants pass side track to continue back up the coast to coos bay etc, but this side trip is gorgeous and grants pass is beautiful.

These is redwood park drive through vista somewhere here and thats amazing to - the bridge at pistol point is the northern most on PCH I have been so far.

#15 ·
You really need a thick pad for comfy sleep IMO, there is a fold up pad in another post a guy uses or if it’s 70 you could sleep in top of a thick sleeping bag, also you can try a small electric fan on your feet or put a pan of water inside and crack the windows even slightly will help. Dude wipes and a wicking towel will help with beach showers

#17 ·
Yah, I'm still trying to find a good pad to sleep on. I'm thinking maybe the inflatable camping pads, not sure if those would be thick enough though. Was tempted to get a twin size inflatable, but alas, the HRV is not big enough for it. 😞.

I'll have to look into getting a mini fan, it's prob better than nothing. lol

#16 ·
There are memory foam camping mattresses you can buy that may compensate for the back seat bulge.

There are Car Window Vents that allow you to leave a certain amount of your rear window open. For added security or privacy, I would use them in conjunction with Car Window Shades - I have a set of these installed in my HR-V, not so much for leaving Hadley in the vehicle, but more so for preventing bugs and so on from entering the vehicle when driving with the window open.

To aid cooling you could try something like a Rechargeable Cooling Fan, and in hot weather instead of using a sleeping bag, use something similar to this Sleep Liner.

In my glorious Single Daze and I was travelling long distances in my 2003 Civic, I wore a lightweight hoodie, and when I needed a kip, I found a suitable parking location, pulled the hoodie over my face and slept blissfully in the front seat. They were probably the most comfortable car seats I have ever slept in, unfortunately I have not had a chance to put the HR-V's front seats sleeping capabilities to the test yet!

#18 ·
There are memory foam camping mattresses you can buy that may compensate for the back seat bulge.

There are Car Window Vents that allow you to leave a certain amount of your rear window open. For added security or privacy, I would use them in conjunction with Car Window Shades - I have a set of these installed in my HR-V, not so much for leaving Hadley in the vehicle, but more so for preventing bugs and so on from entering the vehicle when driving with the window open.

To aid cooling you could try something like a Rechargeable Cooling Fan, and in hot weather instead of using a sleeping bag, use something similar to this Sleep Liner.

In my glorious Single Daze and I was travelling long distances in my 2003 Civic, I wore a lightweight hoodie, and when I needed a kip, I found a suitable parking location, pulled the hoodie over my face and slept blissfully in the front seat. They were probably the most comfortable car seats I have ever slept in, unfortunately I have not had a chance to put the HR-V's front seats sleeping capabilities to the test yet!
Your single traveling days sounds amazing! And that's actually my next test, seeing if the passenger seat is sleepable with a pillow. lol!

Those window vent guards look interesting, never seen those before. But knowing how criminals are here in the US, they'd just break the window. 😒

I'll have to check out the mini fans. Hope they work. 🤷‍♂️

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.