Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

tl;dr: 2017 HR-V EX-L Navi lanewatch isn't activating with button or turn signal. I can't seem to reset the head unit by holding the off button - no prompt comes up to reset. Not sure how to diagnose and fix. I can confirm it's the stock head unit and the camera/mirror doesnt look broken or replaced (though it could have been since this is a used car)

So excited about my new car! Well, new-er car - I bought it used, but its the newest car I've ever owned and I am stoked. It was the best condition used 2017 HR-V I could find in my journey searching for a good pre owned one, and it seems relatively immaculate in terms of interior and exterior issues (I can't find many at all!).

However, when test driving it, I assumed that the side camera - the one on the passenger side mirror - wasn't included in this year's model. I thought I read a headline that mentioned that they did away with them. Well, today at work, I looked closer at my mirror and I noticed that I do in fact have the right-side camera!

The question is, how do I go about turning it on? It should be automatically coming on every time I hit the blinker, no? I noticed the button for it on the left side of the column, but pressing it does nothing either. I tried to reset the head unit by pressing the on/off tactile button for over 10 seconds and I never get any prompts to reset. I tried to turn the car on, go into reverse, then go into neutral after 2 seconds which I've read hard resets the head unit, but this also didn't do anything. The camera doesnt show up in the list of cameras in the settings, either.

Could it be that perhaps a previous owner broke the side mirror and had it replaced, but not plugged back in? How can I go about diagnosing this myself? It seems like a simple thing to figure out, but I'm not really sure. Im really hoping I can get access to that camera because I absolutely love love love that feature. That was one of my favorite things about test driving the older models before I got to this one

·
Registered
2022 HR-V EX AWD
109 Posts
We had a 2018 EX without Navi, and it had it. The mirrors are pretty easy to get at and replace, so I would start by popping it off and taking a look at the connections.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
751 Posts
This may or may not be of interest to you.

The cruise control on my previous vehicle was activated by a rocker switch on the end of the one of the stalks. Although mine behaved perfectly, it was a fairly common fault for the CC to fail over time due to the switch requiring cleaning due to owners switching it off and on. May be a similar issue with the Lane Watch?

Hand Arm Sleeve Handwriting Font

Does the Lane Watch have a dedicated fuse that may have blown?

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S
105 Posts
Does the Lane Watch have a dedicated fuse that may have blown?
One thing that I have learned the hard way is, don't rely on the Honda Owners Handbook for the fuse locations and which circuit they are related too.

My 2016 CRV was only 3 weeks old and the ignition refused to turn on let alone start the car, I couldn't even move the gear shift lever out of Park, it was locked.
I ended up having to use the Honda Roadside Assist, the local Automobile Club mechanic turned up and had a helluva time trying to find the reason why.
He ended up using a blown fuse detection tool and found a blown fuse (#25 from memory) under the dash, in the Owners Handbook it said it was for a "small lights" circuit. Now how many small lights are there throughout a CRV? After checking every small light we could get to without dismantling the car, the circuit turned out to be a blown drivers side tail light bulb.

I don't know who writes these Owners Handbooks, but they need shafting with the rough end of a pineapple IMO. They just have no idea on how to write a manual and don't cater for the people who understand little or know nothing about cars, other than how to put petrol in the tank.

Stepping down off soap box! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thank you all for your replies! I took it to the Honda dealership just to see if I could get any possible information out of them, but they wanted 160 up front to diagnose it. I don't think it's really important enough to spend that kind of money on figuring out this problem, so I'm going to try everything I can before I do that (if I ever even do).

What perplexes me the most is that the head unit wont give me the "do you want to restart?" pop up when i hold the power button. I feel like it just needs to reset itself. I've heard from multiple sources that this camera seems to glitch out and need a reset on the head unit, but I can't seem to activate that.

I checked the fuse I thought it would be, fuse 21 "MP Camera", its fine. Though as one person noted here, it really could be any fuse and the diagrams aren't very informative. I'm going to get a cheap broken fuse detector from Harbor Freight and check all of them.

The Carfax report was clean of any accidents, and had timely maintenence, but surprise surprise - the inspection I just got at my trusted mechanic told me that it has been to a body shop before due to them finding misaligned things under the car and some missing undercarriage bolts. Nothing was catastrophic, but this tells me that something may have happened during this presumed accident that might have jolted something loose. He said it all looked like average wear and tear, so I'm not too concerned about it, but this camera thing is going to bug me until i fix it or I just give up!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The CarFax report is not 100% guaranteed to show you every accident. They do show if the airbag was deployed. But I recall I had a slight bump on the rear of my HRV when I backed into a shopping cart holder that extended into the driving lane. My fault as I was distracted by my bride's lovely eyes. But I took it to be repaired and asked if that would show up on Carfax and they assured me it wouldn't. Not sure if it was because I was paying for it myself or the air bag didn't go off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello!
I live in Poland but I have a hrv hrv from us with a camera in the side mirror. You should check the settings in the radio itself, because I accidentally distracted and therefore I had a problem. Look on youtube in the us how to set it lanewatch. You need to enter the dealer settings by pressing the power button, eject the cd and home at the same time. For proper setting, an appropriate image should be printed on A4 format, placed on the right side of the car. You can find more data as I wrote on youtube luc on the cardiagan.com repair manual website

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cannot see the picture but you definitely pointed me in the right direction! I finally got into the diagnosis menus.
Vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Automotive exterior

and it seems to show me RED when it checks the lanewatch, which seems to mean a bad physical connection (ugh). I got these codes as well. Seems I may need to do more looking around to see where this connection is bad. It wasn’t a fuse though

·
Registered
8 Posts
class=y2iqfc>color:#202124;mso-ansi-language:EN'>In addition to the previous information, I am sending the data to the correct lanewatch setting in the form of jpg files. I also attach this illegible photo from the previous email

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thank you, I got to the menus! But I cannot set up the aiming as that button is grey. It shows me that the lanewatch button functions but I think I’ve narrowed it down to the physical wire connection being broken somewhere. I now need to probably figure out where things connect

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you! Yes, I went through these steps, but on my end - once i get to the last step you showed - it says "NG" in red. I assume NG stands for Not Good, which makes me think the connection is not good. I appreciate you taking the time to do this, im sure others will be informed too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts