Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I did some googling on the largest tire size without rubbing (or lift), but I'm guessing not a lot of folks have started replacing their tires yet. My wife recently punctured one close to the sidewall and can't be patched. I put a plug in it for now until we figure out what we want to do. One thought is to replace all the tires and unload the 3 stockers on CL or eBay. I'm a HUGE fan of the BFG KO2s. I'm running them on my F250. I think they would look awesome on the HRV. But the smallest tire size they currently offer is a LT225 65 R17. Here's the size comparison according to tiresize .com:

Screenshot 2017-04-15 at 6.33.14 PM.png

1.1" taller and 0.4" wider. I haven't measured the wheel-well, but I want to believe I wouldn't have any clearance issues.

So my question is, are there any HRV owners out there running larger than stock tires? If so what size and any rubbing issues?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Taller tires will, of course, create lift.

The K02s, an all-terrain tire, may be a good idea for your pickup truck, but there's far more to choosing good tires than their looking awesome. The low clearance of the HR-V makes its use offroad quite limited, so those tires just don't make sense (nor, in fact, does any light-truck tire). And the HR-V is already pretty noisy on the highway without big lugs on the tire tread.

I think a better approach to this is to use tell TireRack what the HR-V size is and then look at the selection that fits. There will be some tires among those that have aggressive tread designs, and you can pick one that's at least close to awesome in your mind. That way, you won't have to worry about lift or rubbing. HPH

·
Registered
67 Posts
Go with a smaller rim and you can get a smaller tire in the KO2s. I've been looking at some tires and i think they make em 215/70r16. 215/65r16 are pretty close to stock and general grabbers offer some in that size

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Taller tires will, of course, create lift.
Understood. When I said lift, I was speaking in terms of modification to the suspension.

The K02s, an all-terrain tire, may be a good idea for your pickup truck, but there's far more to choosing good tires than their looking awesome. The low clearance of the HR-V makes its use offroad quite limited, so those tires just don't make sense (nor, in fact, does any light-truck tire). And the HR-V is already pretty noisy on the highway without big lugs on the tire tread.

I think a better approach to this is to use tell TireRack what the HR-V size is and then look at the selection that fits. There will be some tires among those that have aggressive tread designs, and you can pick one that's at least close to awesome in your mind. That way, you won't have to worry about lift or rubbing. HPH
Yeah, going back to my original post, it does seem like my sole goal is looks. I've had extremely good luck with the BFG ATs. SUPER long wear life (80,000 miles), little to no added road noise, and a really smooth ride. I don't off road with my F250, and we don't plan on doing any off roading with the HRV. In addition to the exceptional tread life, the thicker tread is really what I'm going after. Not saying that will prevent a flat, but I've never pulled a staple out of my BFG ATs. I realize the extra weight (~10 lbs per tire) and bigger circumference will decrease MPG, but I accept that.

Love to hear if there are any HRV owners that have played with tire sizes...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there guys, I am new to the forum. Traded my '07 crv for '17 hrv. I am left with my oem crv rims with winter tires on it (225 65 17). Do you guys think it would fit the hrv without any issues? Hoping I could use it for my hrv to save some money. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hanzoh, if your CRV tires are mounted and balanced, bolt those suckers to your HRV and go for a test drive! And then report back with your results. Please and thank you :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Curious if anyone ever tried this? I have a 2012 CR-V and a 2018 HR-V and was thinking about doing swapping them out this weekend to see if the bigger tire size fits well on the HR-V.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just remember that when you change the OD of the tire, you change the rotational travel distance. This will make it so your speedo is wrong.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Just remember that when you change the OD of the tire, you change the rotational travel distance. This will make it so your speedo is wrong.
Yeah but not enough to matter (Imo)… This has always perplexed me why this is such huge paranoia...... use the calculator and see… It's a couple miles per hour , for any tires that you would want to change on a vehicle like this.

https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry, but having your speedo read 70, when you're actually doing 75, can be a pretty big deal in most places.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used the OP's size suggestions in the tool.

Another possible configuration that would fit the HR-V is the 235-60-17

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
We are all different. If I was looking for a certain look on my car and that involved tires/wheels that were gonna throw out my speedometer and my odometer, by even 5 miles an hour, it wouldn't bother me in the least. Because once I'm up to interstate speed I know what the new calculation is , that I can remember… However if your're OCD, I can understand why you would not want to change…

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thinking about this more, yes, bigger tires accumulate less miles on the odometer. The axle goes less revolutions to cover the same miles.

If your tires are 8% larger, they accumulate 8% less miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I primarily brought it up because people don't realize how something so small can have a large effect overall. ****, I'd bet that 90% of the people out there wouldn't know that changing tire size would affect the readings on their dash.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The other factor is fuel efficiency.
Look at the new Honda Insight
55 mpg city (LX or EX) 16" Wheels
215 / 55 R16 93V
51 mpg city (Turing) 17" Wheels
215 / 50 R17 91H

That's an 8% increase in fuel efficiency by dropping 1"
There is a 78 lb difference, but I"m sure much of that is the heavier rims/tires

1 - 20 of 22 Posts