Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody recommend LED headlight conversions for a 2019 ex-l? I just downsized from a 2009 Acura MDX that had HID. I haven’t driven the new car at night yet but if there’s one thing I’ve heard it’s that the stock headlights suck. I didn’t feel like spending $1000 more for the touring model just for the headlights. One company I contacted said that 2018 led conversions wouldn’t work on a 2019. Since the stock lights are hb11 for low beams and HB3 for the high beams do I just need to get Led conversions that match? If so any recommendations on a good brand?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny thing is I haven’t even driven my HR-V at night yet. I know though that like most small suvs it’s lights are rated poor. Heck just seeing the headlights turned on in the garage I can tell they’re not great. My wife has a 2015 Mercedes GLA 250 and even its lights are crap. I just know that going from the HID lights on my MDX to this I am not going to be happy. That’s why I’m being proactive. It’s funny, the manufacturers are putting all these safety features in cars but then miss the most obvious one, decent lights so you can see at night. They should be standard, not just on the touring version.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, forgot to thank you for link. I’ve been spending hours on Amazon looking at the various led light options, reading the questions and reviews. It seems that if they match the bulb type, H11 and HB3(9005) and there is enough room for them to fit they should work. I’ve been looking for those that say they have the built in chips to prevent errors as well. I guess it’s just a matter of narrowing it down to the ones that have a lot of reviews, seem to work good and are reliable. The HR-V sport version doesn’t come with LEDS. You have to buy the touring and then they are standard. I didn’t see where they could be added as an option on the lower trims.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Stop researching and get the nighteyes, perfect fit, great light spread, I Replaced them with my hands, didn't even need hand tools......Get the fog lights too.

·
Administrator
1,545 Posts
The Canbus bulbs with built in chips to prevent error codes are mainly for European cars. The HRV and most Japanese cars don't require canbus bulbs.
http://www.led-nova.com/canbus-error-free-bulbs.html

If you don't mind spending more, you can give these new Hakari bulbs a try. They should be brighter than Nighteye bulbs and also have great reviews. I installed the first version of these on my wife's CRV and they're brighter but the beam pattern is a bit odd. They claim to have fixed that in these newer bulbs.
https://smile.amazon.com/HIKARI-Hea...ds=H11+LED&dpPl=1&dpID=511ZxQ6v7dL&ref=plSrch

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On my model it says the fog lights are H8. But it looks like the h11 can be used in place of h8/h9. When I went to the Amazon link provided for the nighteyes and looked down at the other units that Amazon set up for comparison right next to them were Beamtechs. This is interesting to me because both in appearance and specs they look identical. The difference is that the $29.00 Nighteyes have only 22 reviews and 4 stars while the $36.99 Beamtechs have a couple thousand reviews and 4 1/2 stars. I usually try to pick a product that has the best reviews and a very high review count. If these are actually the same units just under different names and you recommend them this sounds like a very good deal. I don’t want to spend a whole lot of money on this car because it’s a three year lease unless I decide to keep it. I will spend money on stuff though that improves safety and help protects it. So, $90 bucks sounds like a really reasonable investment as long as the lights work good and last at least three years. Heck I guess if they’re still working at end of lease I could just swap old ones back in before turn in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what I’m seeing Nighteye doesn’t offer an actual H8 bulb. What I do see is they list the H11 as being used for headlights and fog lights and display like this H11 (H8/H9). That is why I’m thinking they are used for both. If I am wrong someone please tell me now before I go buying them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
the nighteye fogs I bought not showing avail on amzn.....

·
Administrator
1,545 Posts
Those Beamtech and Nighteyes are probably made in the same factory in China. You could try those if you feel more comfortable. About the H11 vs H8/H9, if there are only minor differences between two, or in this case, three types of bulbs, manufacturers will make a bulb compatible for all 3 types to save on manufacturing costs.

·
Registered
621 Posts
the beauty of amzn prime, buy all of them, hand fit and inspect , and return the rest. If your return history is good, they have no problem amd give your instant return.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, that’s what I figured. I ordered two sets of H11s and one of the HB3/9005. If they don’t work I’ll return. Ive bought a whole lot from Amazon and only had to return a couple times. Will these need any adjustments for the beam pattern or anything?

·
Administrator
1,545 Posts
Yeah, that’s what I figured. I ordered two sets of H11s and one of the HB3/9005. If they don’t work I’ll return. Ive bought a whole lot from Amazon and only had to return a couple times. Will these need any adjustments for the beam pattern or anything?
They'll most likely need to be lowered a bit. I've installed these on several cars and the cutoff has always been a bit higher with these bulbs.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts