Honda HR-V Forum banner
181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I got the NOVSIGHT lights today (as recommended by @Rhonda for the late model and @SlowFosho for the early model) and the package has a lot of warnings about heat and condensation but that could be a CMA blanket statement. The quality of everything looks very good and the instructions for something as simple as a bulb are very through and detailed including how to aim the lights. We have rain for the next few days but after that I will give them a try soon.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I got the NOVSIGHT lights today (as recommended by @Rhonda for the late model and @SlowFosho for the early model) and the package has a lot of warnings about heat and condensation but that could be a CMA blanket statement. The quality of everything looks very good and the instructions for something as simple as a bulb are very through and detailed including how to aim the lights. We have rain for the next few days but after that I will give them a try soon.
Will be looking forward to how you like them. I always thought that LED run cooler than other bulbs... Dont understand why they heat up so much to need a fan to keep them cool...

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
368 Posts
Dont understand why they heat up so much to need a fan to keep them cool...
In a headlamp application, the LEDs are 'passing a lot of amperage' (relatively).

"LED bulb features lower resistance, than halogen bulbs, yet it is the processor and powerful diode, that produce heat. So, such bulbs require a powerful cooling unit to operate. "

·
Registered
368 Posts
In a headlamp application, the LEDs are 'passing a lot of amperage' (relatively).

"LED bulb features lower resistance, than halogen bulbs, yet it is the processor and powerful diode, that produce heat. So, such bulbs require a powerful cooling unit to operate. "

Has there been any issues of overheating and messing up the headlight housing????

·
Registered
2022 HR-V EX AWD
166 Posts
Cool, how long have you had them for?
We've been running them in the 2022 since we brought it home in August/September. Replacing the weak halogens was one of the first things I did. Just took the bulbs I salvaged from our previous 2018's fog lights. Which again, had been in the car pretty much since we purchased it in July 2018. The high beams and fogs are new with the 2022, and I have a spare set of slightly used H4's. (The 2018 had H4's for High/low beams, and H11 for fog. The 2022 has H11 for low and fog, and 9005 for high beams.)

·
Registered
2022 HR-V EX AWD
166 Posts
Has there been any issues of overheating and messing up the headlight housing????
No, they don't generate enough heat to cause a problem. Less heat than the stock halogens even. Which can be a little bit of a detriment in snowy weather.

Reactions: Dr. Toboggan

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX AWD-CVT | 19” Accord Sport wheels | Dasaita head unit | 15% Tints All Around
38 Posts
I haven’t had any issues with overheating, they did great during the snow storms we had up north. I was afraid they would flicker because of the cold weather and honestly they’ve held up pretty good. So far ai really like them compared to other brands I’ve tried.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I haven’t had any issues with overheating, they did great during the snow storms we had up north. I was afraid they would flicker because of the cold weather and honestly they’ve held up pretty good. So far ai really like them compared to other brands I’ve tried.
when you say they held up pretty good....that tells me you have had some issues with them...is that so???

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I just had a failure in one of my fog lights over the weekend. I keep them on all the time with my headlights. I haven't gone out there to check to see if a rock took it out, or if it just died on me. But, even at $18 for the replacements, I'd rather have the better illumination.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The intent was clearly stated, "that let's me know that they're not bright enough", as in they're inadequate which has been the whole purpose and discussion of this entire thread thus the topic should be already known. Seriously, who beeps a horn for someone to turn their bright lights off? I've driven all over the world for decades and have never encountered that behavior. It's just not logical, much like an old man putting food out for his dead dog (obviously!).
Did you install your led yet???? If so how do you like them...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Did you install them yet??? If so how do you like them...

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Yes, I did it today. I did the install in less than 5 minutes, it’s very simple just the same as changing the regular bulb. My remarks are the same as the others about performance; good cut off, the lights are white but not too bright and the pattern doesn’t blind the oncoming traffic. I noticed that road signs are now reflecting white instead of the yellowish color. I only have 10 minutes experience with them so far but I’m already wanting to get them for the bright bulbs as well. What I also like is that the lighting looks white instead of yellow making it seem like a new(er) car. Here you can see the regular lights, the LED lights and the LED lights with the regular bright lights on. You can see that the low beam pattern is now wider than the bright beam pattern but it’s still not in the face of oncoming traffic.
Automotive lighting Asphalt Shade Cloud Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Asphalt Road surface Automotive exterior Window

Cloud Window Textile Rectangle Wood

·
Premium Member
697 Posts

·
Administrator
1,545 Posts
Yes, I did it today. I did the install in less than 5 minutes, it’s very simple just the same as changing the regular bulb. My remarks are the same as the others about performance; good cut off, the lights are white but not too bright and the pattern doesn’t blind the oncoming traffic. I noticed that road signs are now reflecting white instead of the yellowish color. I only have 10 minutes experience with them so far but I’m already wanting to get them for the bright bulbs as well. What I also like is that the lighting looks white instead of yellow making it seem like a new(er) car. Here you can see the regular lights, the LED lights and the LED lights with the regular bright lights on. You can see that the low beam pattern is now wider than the bright beam pattern but it’s still not in the face of oncoming traffic.
View attachment 33624
View attachment 33625
View attachment 33626
Looks good. Brighter with the same cutoff. I agree that the whiter light makes the car look more modern. It's a shame that Honda is still using halogen lights when most modern cars have gone to LED's.

·
Registered
368 Posts
View attachment 33624
View attachment 33625
View attachment 33626
Thanks for posting this. So these are the novsight lights??? I think that you just talked me into getting a set...thanks again..

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,126 Posts
It's a shame that Honda is still using halogen lights when most modern cars have gone to LED's.
Honda have sold the HR-V with LED headlights since 2015, along with a lot of other kit that is not available to the NA market (dual zone climate control, electrically folding wing mirrors, x4 one touch up/down electric windows, auto tilting wing mirrors when reverse selected), but that would mean paying European pricing which I don't think many in the US would be prepared to do.

2015 HR-V (top) EX spec with LED headlamps and indicators as standard;
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

2015 HR-V (mid) SE spec with halogen headlamps and indicators;

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Grille

The 40k mile/7yo EX above is for sale at £14,895 or $19,598. Prior to the second hand price bubble it would probably still retail at £13-13,500/$17-17,500 due to its spec (over and above SE spec); leather heated seats, electric sunroof, reversing camera, factory satnav, LED headlights/DRL's/indicators, auto dimming rear view mirror and keyless entry and start.

Brand new in 2015 it would have cost £23,195/$30,195! And don't forget, AWD is not an option on European models.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Thanks for posting this. So these are the novsight lights??? I think that you just talked me into getting a set...thanks again..
Yes, the NOVSIGHT and I just ordered the bright beam lights. The pictures don’t do justice, it’s better because they “glow” in that picture from the camera.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Honda have sold the HR-V with LED headlights since 2015, along with a lot of other kit that is not available to the NA market (dual zone climate control, electrically folding wing mirrors, x4 one touch up/down electric windows, auto tilting wing mirrors when reverse selected), but that would mean paying European pricing which I don't think many in the US would be prepared to do.
I respectfully disagree my friend. In the US people want these features, and will pay for them. The problem is that to get them, the car would have to be branded as an Acura. It would add $5-8K to the price. The problem is that if they did that, it would cannibalize the sales of the ILX and the RDX. That, along with the associated costs of introducing another vehicle in the lineup, prevent Honda USA from investing in the added features.

181 - 200 of 229 Posts