Honda HR-V Forum banner
221 - 229 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
2022 HR-V EX AWD
166 Posts
Well I see that Sylvania now has h11 led in stores. Saw them at Wal Mart Autozone Advance Auto and Meijers. Of corse they sell them as fog light replacements but will work in low beam also.. They have a 5 year warranty and sell for 99 bucks...They are called Zevo H11 led...
Yeah, I had tried some of those. They were not as bright as the NovSight bulbs, and for more than double the price. You're paying for the name brand printed on the bulb. The light output from them was slightly higher than the SilverStar halogen bulbs, but they had about half the distance of the NovSights. Did not get a good chance to check the cutoff with them though.

·
Registered
601 Posts
LEDs create a safety hazard to oncoming traffic because they can’t be aimed like halogens. They should be banned from all vehicles outside of passenger cars. LEDS May be bright but peripheral lighting is substandard. You won’t see that deer off to the side of the road at night like you would with halogens.

Installing LED bulb's in halogen headlight housing's is always controversial on any automotive forum.
I agree with you, but it's not worth arguing.

It does appear that the HRV halogen headlight housing is better than most for LED bulb conversion's.

No one ever mentions the DOT legality of these headlight LED bulbs. Because they are not DOT legal.
But I have never seen or heard of Law enforcement or DOT inspection ever enforcing these illegal LED bulb installations.
Way back when everyone was installing aftermarket clear tail lights, Law enforcement and DOT eventually did crack down on those.
Reputable aftermarket companies did eventually comply with DOT regulations for aftermarket tail lights.

I think the UK folks even mention that their annual vehicle inspection doesn't care about their illegal LED bulbs HRV headlight conversion.

Reactions: John35g

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree that fitting LED headlight bulbs in vehicle/motorcycle that originally came with halogen bulbs is always controversial in any forum.

But I must say that the HR-V headlight housing for low beam which is projector type (not reflector) does really well for LED headlight bulbs. I've never been flashed by anyone while driving at night.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,126 Posts
I think, as with any other forum this topic rears its head, people are just going to have to agree to disagree.

I've heard the US is quite large so the chances of Mr I'vefittedaftermarketleds and Mr Idontthinkyoushouldfitaftermarketleds running into each other (no pun intended) would make for a Hollywood script.

As for getting flashed or not, perhaps other drivers, like me, just cannot be arsed doing it. I've even stopped doing it for the (far too) numerous occasions I see cars being driven at night with no lights on. Deep down I kind of hope the oxygen thieves come a cropper and no longer pose a threat to other road users.

·
Administrator
1,977 Posts
Have any of you played with a LED flashlight that can adjust from spot to flood? the same light principle applies to both projector and reflector housings. If any part of the light source is outside of the focus point. You get a floodlight effect. The driver is the last person to admit their new bulbs are not working right because they do see more around them due to the floodlight effect. I can see drivers with the wrong bulbs miles away at night. It is pointless to flash them.

You can get LED bulbs that will work correctly in your light housing. The beam pattern is from Phillips LED bulbs in the 2015 HRV with reflector housings. If your bulbs can produce a distinct cut-off pattern. They are working correctly.

Automotive lighting Asphalt Road surface Tints and shades Sky

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
You guys can debate forever but there are too many variables; early or late headlights, which aftermarket LED’s you have in your car, the aim of the headlights, the grade of the road, the light sensitivity of the eyes of the oncoming driver(s), etc., etc., blah blah blah but what I’ve found (thanks to @SlowFosho and @Rhonda ) has been a remedy to the inadequate lighting problem of my car that made it dangerous for me to drive. I’m glad I found this solution and no amount of whining or complaining in this thread will change my mind; however, if oncoming drivers were flashing lights and/or the police stopped me then I would remove them. You can see in this picture that they’re actually aimed lower than the average SUV that has LED lights as factory.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Wheel

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Oh yeah and I forgot to mention, it’s very simple, if you can see your lights shining into the face of oncoming traffic then they’re either too bright or too high or both. You should not, besides the exemption of the inner city, be able to see the person’s face in the oncoming car at night and if you can then it’s the aforementioned problem of the lights being too bright or too high or both. It’s really that simple.

221 - 229 of 229 Posts