Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the reviews I've seen are clearly based on a mixture of Honda PR material and that press junket in Florida a few months back (where they got to drive the car a few very-flat blocks in the city in Florida).

Really, I don't find them all that useful. I'm still waiting for guys like Everyman and Alex, who get the car in their hands for a week or so and give us impressions that weren't formed under the guidance of Honda PR and wanting to get invited to the next junket (those guys seem to love the HRV).

What's promising is that apparently Honda has put the HRV in the hands of some reviewers for extended reviews. Looking forward to those reviews soon.

I really haven't seen anything in any review that we haven't discussed to death in this forum. They're confirming all the positives and all the negatives that we've talked about for so long.

What's your take on the collection of reviews as a whole?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Most of the reviews I've seen are clearly based on a mixture of Honda PR material and that press junket in Florida a few months back (where they got to drive the car a few very-flat blocks in the city in Florida).

Really, I don't find them all that useful. I'm still waiting for guys like Everyman and Alex, who get the car in their hands for a week or so and give us impressions that weren't formed under the guidance of Honda PR and wanting to get invited to the next junket (those guys seem to love the HRV).

What's promising is that apparently Honda has put the HRV in the hands of some reviewers for extended reviews. Looking forward to those reviews soon.

I really haven't seen anything in any review that we haven't discussed to death in this forum. They're confirming all the positives and all the negatives that we've talked about for so long.

What's your take on the collection of reviews as a whole?

I think I am finding more insights than you are within these reviews. I am keeping in mind that these reviews are meant for the broader public to which everything is new, unlike us who have been studying it a while. So a lot will be old information to us.

I think you might have been hoping for more criticism....a lot depends on how you feel before viewing the reviews.

I like the TFL one best so far because he tells us about the performance of the manual.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think I am finding more insights than you are within these reviews. I am keeping in mind that these reviews are meant for the broader public to which everything is new, unlike us who have been studying it a while. So a lot will be old information to us.

I like the TLF one because he tells us about the performance of the manual.
Agreed, the only real news I got this morning is the price -which is better that I expected I must say- the TLF manual reviews by emphasizing how great the manual is, hints but doesn’t say- that the CVT might be a bit bland, but that also doesn't surprise me. I am frustrated by the lack of reviews or even images of the LX trim

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah, I didn't expect much more than we already know in the reviews today. I just was hoping Honda would announce the release date and prices, which they didn't disappoint. So I'm satisfied and can shift my attention to the NFL Draft. ;)

I already emailed my dealer with those two announcements, asking if I can put in a deposit now on a specific trim for the 15th (they were not accepting deposits before). Still waiting to hear back from them.

After that, between now and the 15th, I'll be looking to test drive one and securing a loan from my bank.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The manual seems to be the favorite among the reviewers by far.

Also saw 0-50 MPH in 8.7 seconds somewhere today. Not sure if that's manual or CVT.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I may have missed it (if so sorry) but I'm still wondering about dimensions, Front leg room, head room, etc
Here you go:

Code:
Specification                                HRV LX       HRV EX          
Exterior Length in.                          169.1        169.1        
Exterior Width in.                           69.8         69.8         
Exterior Height in.                          63.2         63.2         
Ground Clearance in.                         6.7          6.7          
Wheelbase in.                                102.8        102.8        
Front Tread in.                              60.4         60.4         
Rear Tread in.                               60.6         60.6         
Turning Radius ft.                           18.8         18.8                                            
Front Legroom in.                            41.2         41.2         
Rear Legroom in.                             39.3         39.3         
Front Headroom in.                           39.5         37.6         
Rear Headroom in.                            38.3         38.3         
Front Hiproom in.                            53.1         53.1         
Rear Hiproom in.                             47.4         47.4         
Front Shoulder Room in.                      56.8         56.8         
Rear Shoulder Room in.                       54.5         54.5         
Passenger Volume cu. ft.                     100.1        96.1         
Interior Cargo Volume cu. ft.                24.3         24.3         
Interior Cargo Volume w/Seats Folded cu. ft  58.8         58.8         
Curb Weight 2WD (MT/AT or CVT) lbs           2888/2902    2917/2933    
Engine Displacement L                        1.8          1.8          
Horsepower                                   [email protected]     [email protected]     
Torque lb-ft                                 [email protected]     [email protected]     
Horsepower / Weight * 100                    4.88/4.86    4.83/4.80    
MPG 2WD MT (City/Hwy/Combined)               25/34/28     25/34/28     
MPG 2WD AT or CVT (City/Hwy/Combined)        28/35/31     28/35/31      
Fuel Tank Capacity                           13.2         13.2

EDIT: Fixed ground clearance and turning radius based on Honda's press release

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
>> I think you might have been hoping for more criticism....a lot depends on how you feel before viewing the reviews.

No, not at all. I'm hoping to buy an HRV, too. I'm not some HRV-hating saboteur here. I'm an engineer, and I want more than fluff. I want deeper reviews - something based on more exposure to the vehicle than a 15-minute trip that covers 5 city blocks in Florida.

In other words, -almost- all of these reviews should be titled "I drove an HRV five blocks in Florida, listened to five hours of Honda PR chatter, and now I'm going to write a review like I have a clue".

It's not just the HRV. You can see the same thing with every manufacturer. I think my head started spinning when I saw an HRV review on a gadget blog. Seriously?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Could you be referring to me? I have changed my wicked ways. I think it was you who pointed out the likely hood there would be a shortage of CX-3s after its intro. Please! everyone! BUY A HRV! DON'T WAIT ON THE INFERIOR COMPETITION FROM HIROSHIMA.;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Could you be referring to me? I have changed my wicked ways. I think it was you who pointed out the likely hood there would be a shortage of CX-3s after its intro. Please! everyone! BUY A HRV! DON'T WAIT ON THE INFERIOR COMPETITION FROM HIROSHIMA.;)
CX-3 is awesome--if you're short and are more concerned about performance than cargo space. I'm tall and place a premium on getting the most space out of the least car possible. So, for me, CX-3 is toward the bottom of the list.

EDIT: Short isn't really accurate. My wife is 5'10" and loves her Mazda 3. My head rubs against the ceiling in it though.

·
Registered
547 Posts
>> I think you might have been hoping for more criticism....a lot depends on how you feel before viewing the reviews.

No, not at all. I'm hoping to buy an HRV, too. I'm not some HRV-hating saboteur here. I'm an engineer, and I want more than fluff. I want deeper reviews - something based on more exposure to the vehicle than a 15-minute trip that covers 5 city blocks in Florida.

In other words, -almost- all of these reviews should be titled "I drove an HRV five blocks in Florida, listened to five hours of Honda PR chatter, and now I'm going to write a review like I have a clue".

It's not just the HRV. You can see the same thing with every manufacturer. I think my head started spinning when I saw an HRV review on a gadget blog. Seriously?
I have not yet seen a review where the driver had the US HR-V out on a highway.
The Consumer Reports youtube report took one out on a hilly road.

·
Registered
402 Posts
CX-3 is awesome--if you're short and are more concerned about performance than cargo space. I'm tall and place a premium on getting the most space out of the least car possible. So, for me, CX-3 is toward the bottom of the list.

EDIT: Short isn't really accurate. My wife is 5'10" and loves her Mazda 3. My head rubs against the ceiling in it though.
Right on Werechull. Won't touch on of those cramped little CX-3s with a ten foot pole. An made in Hiroshima. Wasn't there some kind radioactive event there? Not worth the risk of getting sick just to drive around looking cool.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here you go:

Code:
Specification                                HRV LX       HRV EX          
Exterior Length in.                          169.1        169.1        
Exterior Width in.                           69.8         69.8         
Exterior Height in.                          63.2         63.2         
Ground Clearance in.                         7.3          7.3          
Wheelbase in.                                102.8        102.8        
Front Tread in.                              60.4         60.4         
Rear Tread in.                               60.6         60.6         
Turning Radius ft.                           18.7         18.7                                            
Front Legroom in.                            41.2         41.2         
Rear Legroom in.                             39.3         39.3         
Front Headroom in.                           39.5         37.6         
Rear Headroom in.                            38.3         38.3         
Front Hiproom in.                            53.1         53.1         
Rear Hiproom in.                             47.4         47.4         
Front Shoulder Room in.                      56.8         56.8         
Rear Shoulder Room in.                       54.5         54.5         
Passenger Volume cu. ft.                     100.1        96.1         
Interior Cargo Volume cu. ft.                24.3         24.3         
Interior Cargo Volume w/Seats Folded cu. ft  58.8         58.8         
Curb Weight 2WD (MT/AT or CVT) lbs           2888/2902    2917/2933    
Engine Displacement L                        1.8          1.8          
Horsepower                                   [email protected]     [email protected]     
Torque lb-ft                                 [email protected]     [email protected]     
Horsepower / Weight * 100                    4.88/4.86    4.83/4.80    
MPG 2WD MT (City/Hwy/Combined)               25/34/28     25/34/28     
MPG 2WD AT or CVT (City/Hwy/Combined)        28/35/31     28/35/31      
Fuel Tank Capacity                           13.2         13.2

*Ground clearance is from the Vezel. I haven't confirmed it for NA yet.
Thank you! I'm a little disappointed. The front leg room is less than my Corolla that I have now :( This is not good news, I'm a tall girl.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm a tall guy, and usually solve the leg room problem by moving the seat back. Is that not an option? Car seat behind it?

My seat in my current car is back as far as it will go and I've made it work for 12 long years, but I am kind of cramped. Leg room in my current car is 41.3. I was hoping for just another inch or two. Hopefully the seat should sit higher in the HR-V than in my car and that might help.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My seat in my current car is back as far as it will go and I've made it work for 12 long years, but I am kind of cramped. Leg room in my current car is 41.3. I was hoping for just another inch or two. Hopefully the seat should sit higher in the HR-V than in my car and that might help.
What's your current car? How tall are you? Legroom is a fudge-able number and can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so I wouldn't put too much stock in it. I'd give it a test sit before you get too worried.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Yeah, saw it at a recent auto show and the styling really didn't work for me, still find the CX5 much better. Just like between the CRV and CX5 now, I would expect the HRV to appeal to a broader audience and have the sales reflect the same.

CX-3 is toward the bottom of the list.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts