Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I get out of my car and lock the doors but leave the engine running, say if I'm running into a convenience store or something like that?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Is this a model with the keyless start? If so, can you take the fob with you and lock the car from the outside? I have never tried as I don't know why I would leave the car running and using gas, but that is just me...not judging anyone else.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think it's possible... If you have the key fob, once you get out of the car, it knows. After you step 5-10 feet away it will beep at you until you move closer. I haven't tried walking completely away to see what would happen if I really went out of range. The engine should, in theory, shut down.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't think it's possible... If you have the key fob, once you get out of the car, it knows. After you step 5-10 feet away it will beep at you until you move closer. I haven't tried walking completely away to see what would happen if I really went out of range. The engine should, in theory, shut down.
No, it doesn't shut down. It just beeps a few times. You would theoretically be able to drive off - just not start the vehicle again if you stopped it without the fob. Plenty of times when my husband's been driving, we've stopped and he's run into a store with the fob in his pocket while I waited in the car. It even beeps at me when I stop and get out and walk to the mail box about 15 feet away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the comments are correct. I want to run into 7-Eleven for sixty seconds and leave the car running, but I don't like leaving the car unsecured. Also, it doesn't make sense to turn it off then restart it sixty seconds later. It's honestly more economical and less wear and tear on the starter and other components to just leave the vehicle running. And in the middle of the summer/winter, it is nice to leave the AC/heater running. I just want to lock the doors. I have a remote start, but for some reason I can't figure out, when I use the remote start the car turns itself off when I open the door. Equally as frustrating, and completely negates many of the benefits of leaving it running in the first place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I have been fooling around on how to lock the doors of my 2016 Honda HR-v and leave the car running while I am not in the car.
(this is so that I can let the car warm up on a cold winter's day)

Step one: get in the car with the key fob put my foot on the brake and start the car.
Step two: exit the car with key fob in hand and close all doors.
(the car will beep letting me know that there is no key present)

Step three: remove the physical key from the key fob and lock the door using the key via the door handle.

All of the doors will now be locked with the car running
( this trick will disable the key fob so you have to use the physical to unlock the door to gain access to the vehicle)

I hope this helps someone.;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I have been fooling around on how to lock the doors of my 2016 Honda HR-v and leave the car running while I am not in the car.
(this is so that I can let the car warm up on a cold winter's day)

Step one: get in the car with the key fob put my foot on the brake and start the car.
Step two: exit the car with key fob in hand and close all doors.
(the car will beep letting me know that there is no key present)

Step three: remove the physical key from the key fob and lock the door using the key via the door handle.

All of the doors will now be locked with the car running
( this trick will disable the key fob so you have to use the physical to unlock the door to gain access to the vehicle)

I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If someone was able to get into the car (planning on locking with the key) would they be able to drive the car without the key fob in the vehicle?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If someone was able to get into the car (planning on locking with the key) would they be able to drive the car without the key fob in the vehicle?
That's an interesting question. I just started my HR-V, exited without locking the door, placed the fob ~20 feet away, put it in gear, and was able to drive away. Repeated, but with locking the door with the key, unable to unlock the door without the key or fob.

It's still a stupid idea.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes, you can drive indefinitely without the key, or at least until you shut it off. My wife and I swapped cars one afternoon and she drove off with the key and I had to call her and chase her down to get my key back lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Guys and Ladies,
im Juan, first post here after a few months reading and learning about HRV's
i finally got one for my wife 3 weeks ago,
and if you guys want to learn how to lock the car while is running you can do as i have done with my pilot before when i left my teenage daughter inside while running inside a store or such,

>>>> Lower driver side window,>close door>Press lock doors > press auto window Up > Done.

Then make sure you take the FOB with you and open the door with the key.

i hope this helps some of you!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Folks while I completely understand why you'd want to do this, and it makes sense to not have wear and tear on the vehicle, please DON'T. I work for the local police dept and it would AMAZE you the number of "I just left the vehicle running while I ran into the store and now its gone!" calls I take in a single day. Yes you might deter someone by locking the doors, but its no sweat off their back to smash your window real quick and take the car. Our cars do not have a safety mechanism that shuts the motor off when the fob gets so far away from the vehicle. Save yourself the heartache of having your car wrecked out 3 miles down the road or disappearing forever and just shut your car off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Folks while I completely understand why you'd want to do this, and it makes sense to not have wear and tear on the vehicle, please DON'T. I work for the local police dept and it would AMAZE you the number of "I just left the vehicle running while I ran into the store and now its gone!" calls I take in a single day. Yes you might deter someone by locking the doors, but its no sweat off their back to smash your window real quick and take the car. Our cars do not have a safety mechanism that shuts the motor off when the fob gets so far away from the vehicle. Save yourself the heartache of having your car wrecked out 3 miles down the road or disappearing forever and just shut your car off.
No.

·
Registered
2 Posts
keys getting locked in car

I have had several honda's. Well, I walked up to my hatch, it unlocked I put my purse in there because I had a car load of people, closed the hatch. Went to get in and all doors were locked. Went back to hatch and it was locked..........yes keys locked in car!!!! How is this possible?? I thought this was one of Honda's great features. I later tested the doors and they won't let you lock the keys in...........is this a manufacture mistake or is my car not working properly? HELP

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I don't think it will lock if you're in the front seats, but haven't tried with it in the hatch. Maybe they don't have sensors back there?

Might have to experiment when I get home...would be good to know. How did you get in?

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes, me and my fiance tested this. He was able to drive as long as he wanted without the fob. You just arent able to restart it after you turn it off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts