Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
So I have been fooling around on how to lock the doors of my 2016 Honda HR-v and leave the car running while I am not in the car.
(this is so that I can let the car warm up on a cold winter's day)

Step one: get in the car with the key fob put my foot on the brake and start the car.
Step two: exit the car with key fob in hand and close all doors.
(the car will beep letting me know that there is no key present)

Step three: remove the physical key from the key fob and lock the door using the key via the door handle.

All of the doors will now be locked with the car running
( this trick will disable the key fob so you have to use the physical to unlock the door to gain access to the vehicle)

I hope this helps someone.
Ohmygoodness FUNONE,

You, sir, are brilliant. I just bought a black on black 2016 CRV-EXL and I need to be able to lock the doors while the car is running here in Las Vegas, NV. It is INSANE turning a car on and off while running errands in 105-115 degree heat. I just went out and tested your suggestion and it worked perfectly. Now this summer will be bearable.

Thank you, thank you!

Dog in Car

Thank you for the helpful information in this post since -- with all due respect to the police officer who responded -- this solves a dilemma for those of us who travel with our dogs. It's in the single digits in NE Ohio today -- i need to make a stop on the Turnpike on my way to Michigan and I will have a small dog with me. Can't take her into the rest stop, really want to leave the heat on and the car running, but do not want to leave the car unlocked. I'll take my chances with the window smashing car thief before I leave my puppy in a frigid (or -- in the summer -- a boiling) car.

So I have been fooling around on how to lock the doors of my 2016 Honda HR-v and leave the car running while I am not in the car.

Step one: get in the car with the key fob put my foot on the brake and start the car.

Step three: remove the physical key from the key fob and lock the door using the key via the door handle.

( this trick will disable the key fob so you have to use the physical to unlock the door to gain access to the vehicle)

I hope this helps someone.
FUNNONE..............You nailed it! Thank you. It works in my 2018 CR-V Touring. 28 degrees outside and wanted to deice without being stolen and parted out. Could not do it before I read your thread. No more staring out the window of the hotel while my CR-V warms up. while unlocked.

Important: The car MUST be unlocked with the manual key.

Hi everybody,

I have been trying to figure this one out.
I have 3 other cars and when the car is running i can put the keyless FOB in my pocket exit the car and follow the same process to lock the car as it was off.
point is the HRV does not do anything, it does not lock as long as the car is running.

update: i have read several posts in the forums and i do not think it can be done. but if anyone can help. No I don't really want to use the physical key. i know it will work but it defeats the point of having a keyless start/stop unlock/loc FOB.

Also the second thing i was reading is the auto lock when i walk away from the car (the car is off at this time) and that does not work either.
I am not sure about this one only being available on 2019 model year vs mine that is a 2018 EX.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

No, the HR-V won't allow locking the door, using the fob, with the engine running and key outside. It's one of the reasons why I bought an aftermarket remote starter, so I could use that to lock the doors when I exit with the engine running.

And it looks like the walk away autolock is a 2019+ feature too.

I did find a way to lock with the HRV running and the key fob in my pocket.
1. Roll down the driver's side window
2. Exit the car
3. Reach in and press the lock button
4. Press the Auto button on the driver's side window to raise the window

The HRV continues to run, and you can walk away. Unfortunately, the fob will not UNLOCK the car now and you must use the key to manually unlock the running car.

Hi guys. Hopefully this isn't a dumb question...

I was wondering if there is something extra I need to do to lock my car when I leave it running but go outside of it? I do that when I have to run in somewhere and have my dog in the car. I keep the car and AC on, but when I get out of the car with my keys, it doesn't allow me to lock the car. Such a dumb and frustrating feature. Can it be removed or is that something I have to live with. I've even tried to manually lock it but it doesn't allow me to. No issues if I'm in the car or if it is off.

Don't want to come across as a Party Pooper, but have you checked the legalitiy of leaving your vehicle unattended with the engine running, as it is illegal in the UK;

"To be specific, Section 98 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986/1078 requires a driver to stop the engine of a vehicle when it is stationary so far as is necessary to prevent noise or exhaust emissions, unless the vehicle is stationary because of traffic. Section 107 of the same regulations prohibits a person from leaving a vehicle unattended unless the engine is stopped.
If drivers are breach for reasons outside those stated above, is is consideredan offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 which can be punished by a fine of £2,500 if the vehicle is a goods vehicle or adapted to carry more than 8 passengers, or £1,000 otherwise (see Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 section 33 and Part I of Schedule 2 to that act).
In addition, local authorities can apply for the right to issue fixed penalties for breach of those regulations under the Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) (Fixed Penalty) (England) Regulations 2002/1808."

Over the last few years Police Scotland have ran campaigns around the Xmas period targetting drivers leaving their engines running to defrost the windscreen, even when their vehicles were sat on the persons drive.

I hope this helps someone.;)
We need more people like you.
I believe it will work on CRV too

How can I get out of my car and lock the doors but leave the engine running, say if I'm running into a convenience store or something like that?
On your remote key starter there is a small slide switch. Move it to the right and pull the remote apart. An actual key is inside of the remote. You can keep the car running and lock the doors with the actual key.

On your remote key starter there is a small slide switch. Move it to the right and pull the remote apart. An actual key is inside of the remote. You can keep the car running and lock the doors with the actual key.

The other way I've found is to roll down the driver's window. Press the door lock button on the driver's side arrest from outside the car. Then press the button to roll up the driver's side window. You will have to use the manual key to unlock though.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.