Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Canada and the latest I've read is that the HRV will be arriving in July.

I've been looking at small SUVs and have driven the Crosstrek, the RVR, the Trax, the Encore, the Juke and just the other day, the CX3. All had pros and cons. Came close to buying a Crosstrek but oil-use issues are a concern. The Juke didn't do much for me. The CX3? Lovely smooth ride and handling, but that side mirror blocks my view to the left. The Trax is another contender. However, I'm somewhat vertically challenged and find it hard to get into. I also have a very small foot (size 5) and it slips off gas pedals of many vehicles. The Mazda pedals scored big points with me.

Also drove the RAV 4, the CR-V, the Equinox, the Forrester and (my favourite of the bigger bunch) the Mazda CX5. I've visited a lot of dealers and had a lot of fun, but really want to try the HR-V. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Syracuse to find one to sit in (if the dealer doesn't mind that I won't be buying there) to see if it is a good fit and worth the wait.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's experiences with the HR-V.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Curb a few of your expectations right off the bat:

this is not a street racer nor is it a muscle car. it has a small engine with good acceleration and passing power but it isn't gonna win you any drag races. If you're not stop light racing, it'll be fine.

the car is an SUV class car, but it's low to the ground (between a sedan and a CR-V in height off the ground). Getting in and out feels like a high sedan.

There is a HUGE difference in amenities on the console from LX to EX trim levels, even though the LX does come with a touch screen, it isn't the same as the EX or EX-L trims. The LX does have a lot of great features, more than most cars even, but the EX just takes it to a whole new level. Full Touch Console is a dream for me. Buttons feel cheap in comparison now when I get into my Odyssey. When you sit in an EX then get into an LX you will immediately see the difference. It's worth the marginal differences in price IMO.

You're in Canada, don't even think about not getting an AWD. Pricing for you will likely start at $22k USD.

Good luck, and have fun! I look forward to your follow up posts!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At 63 my racing days are over!! LOL.
After countless winters with FWD, an AWD is a luxury now within reach. That's why I'm going to an SUV. I am so glad they are scaling them down to a manageable size.

·
Registered
751 Posts
There is a HUGE difference in amenities on the console from LX to EX trim levels, even though the LX does come with a touch screen, it isn't the same as the EX or EX-L trims.
Actually the Canadian LX includes the 7-inch touch screen, and automatic climate control... not clear to me whether that means the touch screen climate sysetm, or just knobs but with auto.

·
Registered
615 Posts
What are the oil use issues with the Subaru Crosstrek?

You've listed plenty of good options. Its hard to give advice without knowing what your priorities are. What are the most important things for you in your next vehicle?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Priorities:
Easy access for a shorter person.
Comfortable seating position.
And oh yes, this will be my first automatic car after decades driving a manual!
Good visibility.
Good in snow.
Love all the techie stuff that has appeared since I bought my last car: want that infotainment screen, back up camera, blue-tooth et al. Yes, I'm a geek. Might even be interested in a navigation system if the maps are detailed enough.

Re Subaru:
http://www.torquenews.com/1084/2nd-new-oil-consumption-lawsuit-suddenly-filed-against-subaru
I loved the Subarus I drove and was impressed by the dealership. I am very careful, though, so want to look at a lot of options before I choose my CUV.

·
Registered
86 Posts
With a decent set of winter tires - FWD goes a long way....this coming from a fit owner in montreal who drives to Toronto off 401 often enough :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With a decent set of winter tires - FWD goes a long way....this coming from a fit owner in montreal who drives to Toronto off 401 often enough :)
Yes, it does. I know that drive very well!
The 401 can provide some truly entertaining winter excursions.

·
Registered
751 Posts
... and you could stick with the stick!! Gotta be more fun than even a very good CVT like the HR-V's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am also Canadian.
"Buying" the HRV mainly for my wife and 2 kids -- hoping to be 'minimalistic' a bit ... we did look at CRV and Forester. Forester is a nice vehicle.
My wife is abt 5' as well ... and I think taking a lot into considerations -- the HRV is the "it" car. She often 'admires' the RAV4 ...

Impatiently waiting ...

Side note: the new Pilot is quite nice as well. We currently have a Pilot that's ~250K ... but, it's twice the price of the HRV and gas mileage and that 9sp ZF tranny ... wonder if they have fixed that problem.

Yes to below: I would also prefer 6sp ... but, that would mean it becomes 99.99% my vehicle :)

1.5 more months...

... and you could stick with the stick!! Gotta be more fun than even a very good CVT like the HR-V's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts