Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a Honda 2010 Fit Sport which I'm very happy with, no major problems but I'm thinking it would be nice to get something a little more luxurious hence 2019 HRV touring or CRV touring. I've been doing some research and it seems the newer Honda's are starting to have some reliability problems, (cvt issues, fit & finish paint, info screen entertainment issues, leaks etc.) I'm wondering which HRV or CRV has less problems and also which is cheaper for regular maintenance etc. Hoping someone here can enlighten me somewhat.

Thanks for any info.

·
Super Moderator
1,553 Posts
If I'm in the market I would look at the CRV hybrid. They don't use CVT nor a Direct injection engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
if your not scared off by the noted oil dilution problem the CRV's can have AND you can afford a touring trim then I'd 100% go with the CRV .

the current financing or leasing rates + discounts are better in the CRV at this moment too which could make the actual bottom line be pretty close when comparing a touring hrv v.s crv . I just leased a CRV lx awd and it seriously came in cheaper than an lx awd hrv . Mind you , I've been dealing with honda since 1985 at this dealership so I was able to negotiate some extra savings .

while I've been lurking in this forum for years I finally took an HRV for a test drive . I think I could have lived with it but you cant deny it struggles to get from a full stop then up to average city street speed or hwy speed. I'm a very conservative driver with a light foot but I believe this would have eventually gotten on my nerves.however , I'm coming from 7 years of driving a crv which had good giddyup in comparison .

I also think the 2021 hrv's will have more powerful engine . In europe , the 1.5 turbo is in it so I'm trying to imagine that engine in there and wow , that would be a lot of power to spare .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I'm in the market I would look at the CRV hybrid. They don't use CVT nor a Direct injection engine.
Thanks for your reply, I think that's out of my price range, also concerned about cost of replacing batteries when the time comes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if your not scared off by the noted oil dilution problem the CRV's can have AND you can afford a touring trim then I'd 100% go with the CRV .

the current financing or leasing rates + discounts are better in the CRV at this moment too which could make the actual bottom line be pretty close when comparing a touring hrv v.s crv . I just leased a CRV lx awd and it seriously came in cheaper than an lx awd hrv . Mind you , I've been dealing with honda since 1985 at this dealership so I was able to negotiate some extra savings .

while I've been lurking in this forum for years I finally took an HRV for a test drive . I think I could have lived with it but you cant deny it struggles to get from a full stop then up to average city street speed or hwy speed. I'm a very conservative driver with a light foot but I believe this would have eventually gotten on my nerves.however , I'm coming from 7 years of driving a crv which had good giddyup in comparison .

I also think the 2021 hrv's will have more powerful engine . In europe , the 1.5 turbo is in it so I'm trying to imagine that engine in there and wow , that would be a lot of power to spare .
Thank you so much, that is very helpful. My main reason for HRV is price which when compared to the CRV is kind of pushing it for me. If I can get CRV for similar price I would probably go that route, of course I haven't driven either yet so that also would be a determining factor, just waiting till I can free up some money hopefully fairly soon. Thanks again for the great info.

·
Banned
609 Posts
I don't know the numbers, but I thought there was about $3,000 difference in the MSRP's...if you can find one that cheap, go for it. If you need to replace a hybrid's betteries in 10 years, I would not worry about it now. My CR-V got better gas mileage than my HR-V, despite the CR-V engine being far superior and bigger

·
Super Moderator
1,553 Posts
Thanks for your reply, I think that's out of my price range, also concerned about cost of replacing batteries when the time comes.
It is cheaper than the CRV touring and about same as the HRV touring you mentioned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How much car do you need. That would be my decider. I don't need (or like) too big. Love my HRV. If you transport a lot or have > 3 occupants, CRV. If not, HRV IMHO.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The ONLY reason I bought an HR-V was the magic seat. It's irreplaceable for me, otherwise I would have probably bought a Hyundai Kona!

·
Banned
609 Posts
OK, I finally had the time to compare the MSRP of the CR-V & HR-V...it was $4,205....if you find a CR-V as cheap, I would get it. Yesterday.

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK, I finally had the time to compare the MSRP of the CR-V & HR-V...it was $4,205....if you find a CR-V as cheap, I would get it. Yesterday.
the msrp will be higher but for those of us who lease/finance through honda will find the national incentives (interest rate reductions , loyalty discounts etc.) are always better on the crv than the hrv which makes the monthly payment closer than some would think when initially looking at msrp .

in my specific case 399 per month over 60 months (extended warranty included to cover final 24 months) on my crv lx awd . for a hrv lx 385 a month and thats without negotiating extended warranty which would have brought pmt up to the crv .

the OP is canadian and a current honda custumer so he'd get same loyalty lease rate / finance rate offered to me . my lease rate is 1.49 over 60 months on the crv which is about as good as it gets on a 60 month term . its up to him if he wants to negotiate the warranty , quality mats , cargo tray , block heater etc. into the deal . I also went with 20,000 km instead of 24,000 km per year and it saved another 14 bucks of pmt .

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
293 Posts
Before I bought my 2019 HR-V Touring, I had actually driven an 2019 HR-V LX as a loaner while my Fit needed the A/C compressor replaced.

A week after that repair, I found out my clutch was in need of repairs as it failed rather abruptly (couldn't shift into gear while stopped). And that prompted me to look to buy something (eventually being the HR-V).

That preface out of the way...

The CR-V was briefly a contender, but then looked closer at what I wanted.

The CR-V was bigger than I wanted. I like the front and taillight look of the HR-V more than the CR-V (I DESPISE the taillight of the CR-V and 3rd gen Fit). To get the features I wanted in the CR-V (LED headlights for one thing), I had to pay the price difference (some $5k). So when I put all of those together... it practically made the decision for me and I bought the HR-V.

So, to the OP, I ask this... what is it you want out of the purchase? Is the space sufficient in the HR-V? Or do you need the space of the CR-V? Do you want/need the higher performing engine of the CR-V? Or would the HR-V be sufficient? Of course, there are plenty of other details I won't go into, but can just as easily mean something to you. Price is important... but even if an option is cheaper than the other, it won't mean much if you end up regretting it later. Nor is it worth the extra cost for the same reason. Reliability is... a bit of a crapshoot. Sure you can see various ratings and reviews to get a good idea... but even the best rated doesn't mean you won't have problems, and of course, nor does having the worst rating guarantee you'll have those problems either... you can only hope and judge based on what you see (and possibly what you feel).

Last night, my sister called me because she and her husband wanted to purchase a new computer (of my family members, I'm probably the most tech addicted one). I could give her advice and suggestions, but ultimately, it really depends on what their needs are and what they're willing to compromise on.

My point is (again)... you really need to dig down into what it is you need vs what you want and decide what you can do about it.

P.S. After buying the HR-V, I had to bring it in to have the dealer accessories installed and got a 2019 CR-V LX as a brief loaner. Ignoring the exterior looks, the one thing that stood out to me was, despite KNOWING the CR-V is bigger inside and out than the HR-V, I couldn't help but feel like it was smaller around me. It's possibly due to the fact that I can lower the seat in the Touring trim. Front center dash felt small, looking around felt small... it was weird. I have other criticisms, but that's what stood out most. Well, technically no, that's not true. What actually stood out more was the fact I couldn't decide if it was bird shit or cookie crumbs on the rear passenger seat (seriously, who the F* was driving this previously?)... but that's not really valid in a judgement of a general purchasing option.

Oh, I guess you should test drive them... and then make sure the actual vehicle you purchased doesn't have "cookie crumbs" when you get in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your replies, very much appreciated.

So after reading all the replies I'll try and answer the best I can. First off I'll mention I'm a photographer and I do a lot of nature photography so one thing I need is all wheel drive and also a higher clearance in case I need to get off the highway, (I don't need Jeep like performance) but sometimes I find myself on a dirt or gravel road so it's nice to have the extra clearance and all wheel drive, I've read and heard that the CRV has better AWD than the HRV supposedly HRV is not as sophisticated?. I don't really need all the extra space of a CRV but I would like to be able to sleep in the back of the car and maybe camping.

I also notice when looking at CRV and HRV touring differences it seems the CRV has more options standard. I like the idea of a panoramic sunroof, also notice the HRV in Canada does not come with the tire pressure warning system(very weird), also not sure if the HRV comes with blind spot monitoring in the mirrors, there were some other things as well (can't remember them all now). I checked the insurance on both and the CRV is slightly cheaper for insurance, wondering if regular maintenance is the same or cheaper as well ('ll call my dealer and see if I can get service quotes on both vehicles), also the gas mileage seems better on the CRV. I'm also wondering if the LED Lights are better on the CRV than the HRV? I'll probably pay up front for the car, no lease or financing so hopefully I can get a good deal. I'm wondering about the fact that the HRV 2021 may have the 1.5 litre turbo, (maybe the 1.8 would be more reliable) if that's available by fall of next year that would certainly make things more interesting.

I just wanted to mention as well that I watch and listen to Scotty Kilmer a mechanic with good common sense and a lot of info on YouTube. I'll include a link here (where he rates cars from worst to best). if I can. (Spoiler #1 & #2 Toyota and Honda) he also talks about electric cars and hybrids in another video, very interesting not as effective in cold weather due to the battery performance decreasing.

Thanks again for all your replies, and I hope I managed to make things a bit clearer as to what I want.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
293 Posts
Firstly... I tried watching Scotty in the past, but honestly, his voice hurts my ears. If he didn't sound like he was screaming all the time, I could probably watch.

Secondly, it sounds pretty much like you're settled on the CR-V. If I were to just stick to the reasons you listed, the CR-V is definitely the choice.

There are some points of comparison you sound like you're not entirely sure of, AWD, LED and probably reliability. I've already mentioned my POV on reliability, so I'll skip that one.

As for the AWD & LED... personally, I think they're both about the same... in that, if you're truly in need of something better than the HR-V, the CR-V probably isn't that much better. I suspect the LEDs are literally the same, just different housing. As for the AWD, I think the Pilot and Ridgeline actually have an AWD different enough to warrant saying "they're different," but not so much for the CR-V. Both HR-V and CR-V are advertised for urban driving, so I don't know if any difference there is, is enough. A test drive over rough terrain could change that, so who knows (though I still lean on it not being enough).

Finally (and probably less important)... As mentioned, I have a 2010 Fit Sport too. I took it on a road trip back in 2011 and actually sleep in the cargo area a number of times. I found the most comfortable position where I actually fit was shoving the front passenger side all the way forward, flipping it's "seatback" forward, filling the gap between the front seat and folded down rear seat (bag of clothes or something) and laying down diagonally from the passenger side B-pillar to the driverside rear tail light.

I'm 6 ft tall and like I said, I fount it comfortable in that position. The HR-V is bigger, so it should be just a little better in that regard, at least for me.

However, it never hurts to have more room. And even if you're the same height or shorter, it doesn't mean you'll find it comfortable, or it could be simply you have more things with you, etc.

Oh, there is one more... the HR-V "getting" the turbo in 2021. That's at least four months away (if they sell next year's model in Sept)... assuming it does. There hasn't been any real announcement that it would happen here in the US. In addition, there will always be "something" not long after, so you have to draw a line somewhere. Otherwise, you'll always be waiting for something coming. That said... I can't fault you if you think it's important enough for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Firstly... I tried watching Scotty in the past, but honestly, his voice hurts my ears. If he didn't sound like he was screaming all the time, I could probably watch.

Secondly, it sounds pretty much like you're settled on the CR-V. If I were to just stick to the reasons you listed, the CR-V is definitely the choice.

There are some points of comparison you sound like you're not entirely sure of, AWD, LED and probably reliability. I've already mentioned my POV on reliability, so I'll skip that one.

As for the AWD & LED... personally, I think they're both about the same... in that, if you're truly in need of something better than the HR-V, the CR-V probably isn't that much better. I suspect the LEDs are literally the same, just different housing. As for the AWD, I think the Pilot and Ridgeline actually have an AWD different enough to warrant saying "they're different," but not so much for the CR-V. Both HR-V and CR-V are advertised for urban driving, so I don't know if any difference there is, is enough. A test drive over rough terrain could change that, so who knows (though I still lean on it not being enough).

Finally (and probably less important)... As mentioned, I have a 2010 Fit Sport too. I took it on a road trip back in 2011 and actually sleep in the cargo area a number of times. I found the most comfortable position where I actually fit was shoving the front passenger side all the way forward, flipping it's "seatback" forward, filling the gap between the front seat and folded down rear seat (bag of clothes or something) and laying down diagonally from the passenger side B-pillar to the driverside rear tail light.

I'm 6 ft tall and like I said, I fount it comfortable in that position. The HR-V is bigger, so it should be just a little better in that regard, at least for me.

However, it never hurts to have more room. And even if you're the same height or shorter, it doesn't mean you'll find it comfortable, or it could be simply you have more things with you, etc.

Oh, there is one more... the HR-V "getting" the turbo in 2021. That's at least four months away (if they sell next year's model in Sept)... assuming it does. There hasn't been any real announcement that it would happen here in the US. In addition, there will always be "something" not long after, so you have to draw a line somewhere. Otherwise, you'll always be waiting for something coming. That said... I can't fault you if you think it's important enough for you.

Thanks for getting back to me. So first off I just tested the HRV and CRV, the CRV was touring HRV was LX. First impressions just sitting in the Touring CRV and Touring HRV it does seem like the visibility is better comfort seemed similar in both. Ok the test drive, drove the CRV first, after adjusting the power seat and driving the visibility seemed fairly good the rear window seemed kind of far away though, the ride was very comfortable and it soaked up the bumps nicely, I liked the blind spot monitoring in the mirrors and the panoramic sunroof but overall the CRV felt quite big. Acceleration was great but it felt like I was driving a heavier vehicle. Now to the HRV, got in and immediately it felt a lot smaller, driving to me it seemed to have plenty of zip, (I did take both on the Highway) so acceleration is not a concern for me but I did notice the bumps which I did not notice in the CRV. To be honest the HRV reminde me of my FIT very similar ride though I think the HRV has better acceleration than my Fit. So to be honest it's a toss up for me the HRV fits me better but the CRV feel more luxurious and more comfortable on the road. I am leaning a bit more toward the HRV, I just wish it drove more like the CRV. I don't have to decide till next year so I'll wait till then.

Anyway thanks again for the reply, very much appreciate it.
Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts