Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NISSAN is retiring the Juke and the replacement is the Kicks. It will be coming out in June (Canada). No AWD available, and its only a 1.6L non-turbo.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I certainly think it's better than the juke , but I think it's still far away from the innovative lines of the HRV. The conventional rear door and the transition from the rear quarter panel to the roof is still so so… I dont like the black seperation.....good pricing though......The change definitely shows that Nissan is feeling that the juke went too far with those buggy eyes and the rest of "millennial attracting" looks…This is definitely the more "safe play".

Incidentally, I saw a 2019 Acura RDX with manufacturer plates the other day, God it was gorgeous, the paint look like it was about 3 feet thick and it had really nice lines in person.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Very nicely equipped for the price!

You think the HRV is under powered though... Wow 125hp

Interesting entry to the market. I need the cargo room that this doesn't appear to have, but I can see the appeal here for someone who wants a taller car

·
Registered
156 Posts
IMHO, a bunch of the subcompact crossover SUV's look similar but I like the shape of the HRV the most. It looks the most....smooth (is that the right word?)....out of all of them. I don't like how the Juke and CHR end so weird and have that complicated transition from the rear door to the trunk. It looks so "busy". I really liked a couple of other models but I couldn't turn away from the Honda name.

·
Registered
536 Posts
This model also is starting to adapt the latest design option that many of the latest sub compact SUVs are doing, and that is a different color roof than the car, in my opinion it really looks stupid and archaic.....perfect for SEMA, though....LOL

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very nicely equipped for the price!

You think the HRV is under powered though... Wow 125hp

Interesting entry to the market. I need the cargo room that this doesn't appear to have, but I can see the appeal here for someone who wants a taller car
To be fair, it does weigh about 300lb less than the HRV, so the power-to-weight ratio is actually almost the same.

As with most Nissan's, I'm pretty sure it's going to appeal to folks who 1) are very price sensitive and/or 2) have terrible or no credit.

Edited: Geeze this is an aggressively priced car. The fully loaded Kicks is only $600 more than the base LX HRV, and the base one is almost $1700 cheaper than a base HRV.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Fair point, I didn't consider weight.

I agree on Nissan selling to a price conscious market. My wife wanted a newish used mid size sedan, ended up in an altima that was like $4k under any comparable car in its class.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Edited: Geeze this is an aggressively priced car. The fully loaded Kicks is only $600 more than the base LX HRV, and the base one is almost $1700 cheaper than a base HRV.
And those included options/features on the top model could be the deal maker. They would catch my interest as compared to the HR-V's.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It looks to me like their design is a mashup and lacks a single voice. The side view of the front clip is very much like the HRV. The rear tail lights are straight off a RAV4. And then they paste on the grille from a Pathfinder. Very confusing.

The interior is more uniform. I like Carplay, the red accent stitching against the black primatex (read vinyl) interior.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I certainly think it's better than the juke ...
Incidentally, I saw a 2019 Acura RDX with manufacturer plates the other day, God it was gorgeous, the paint look like it was about 3 feet thick and it had really nice lines in person.
Anything is better than the Juke! haha The front end is still hideous though

Acura RDX is my current dream car, but I hate the oversized Acura emblem in the front. One thing I liked about the HRV from the start was that I could get all the extras for less than a basic model luxury vehicle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Motortrend seems to like it as well:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/nissan/kicks/2018/2018-nissan-kicks-first-drive-review/

A lot of reviews are raving about the Bose stereo system. I'll have to play around with one the next time I'm in it.

Autoblog:
But where the Nissan Kicks seals the deal, at least to this audiophile, is its Bose stereo system. Called Bose Personal Plus, the system uses just eight speakers, of which two are 2.5-inch UltraNearfield neodymium speakers set into the driver's headrest. The effect of these strategically placed speakers is an unrivaled soundstage. It does so much with so little. The bass hits you in the chest, while the treble and mid sections give a clarity that'll send chills down your spine. The $1,000 Nissan charges (the option also nets you the Prima-Tex fabric and heated seats, as well as a security system) is a bargain, full stop.
Motortrend:
Let’s take a moment to talk about this stereo. You’re lucky if you can even get a “premium” stereo upgrade in a car that maxes out at $22,265 before accessories, and it usually just takes you from “it plays music” to “this sounds decent.” The Bose stereo in this Kicks, no joke, sounds better than the base stereo in a $180,000 Bentley Bentayga. Play an uncompressed audio file off your phone, and marvel at the clarity of the individual instruments and the breadth of the sound stage, then remind yourself this is a $22,000 car. Part of the trick is a pair of speakers in the driver’s head rest, which are there to manipulate the stage, not blow out your eardrums, though you can hear a difference if you turn your head all the way to the right or left. The stereo can be adjusted to focus sound at the driver when you’re alone in the car, but personally, I preferred the panoramic setting and its recording-studio feel.
Cnet:
On the highway, there is more wind noise than road noise, but it's mitigated by an optional Bose audio system with eight speakers, including two in the driver's headrest. I'm not an audiophile, but I can tell you that this system punches well above its weight. For a stereo at anywhere near this price point, it's nothing short of exceptional.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Good… A move like this will force all the other compact SUVs to look at stereos more closely esp if they find their owner focus groups really like that feature. I can't see how they wouldn't, for 1000 bucks , /w leather and alarm......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts