Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving at about 70 mph a while back, we encountered a very loud consistent flapping noise. There was no indication that the motor was having issues; no lights on dashboard or other indication. Slowed down and the noise stopped. Personally thought that I had "picked" something up and that it had fallen off shortly thereafter.

Hadn't heard it in a long time, under same driving conditions.

Fast forward to this morning on the way to the doctors...driving about 70 mph and sure enough the same noise. Slowed down to approx 50-55 and noise stopped. Drove a fairly long distance and noise appeared one more time for a very short duration.

Again, on the way home, noise happened again but only for a short time. Did have to de-accelerate each time to stop the noise.

Engine performance and mileage not affected. No other issues associated with this annoying and frustrating episode(s).

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Do you have fwd or AWD model?

Yeah I agree with others, check weather stripping, wheel wells, etc.

Can you narrow down to an area in the car?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Checked it out this morning and found a guard directly under the motor hanging with only two screws of many still attached. Off to the dealer tomorrow to have it reattached. Gut feeling....after last oil change, attendant failed to secure properly. Tough to prove but we shall see.

Again thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Checked it out this morning and found a guard directly under the motor hanging with only two screws of many still attached. Off to the dealer tomorrow to have it reattached. Gut feeling....after last oil change, attendant failed to secure properly. Tough to prove but we shall see.

Again thanks for the suggestions.
You must have the front wheel drive model, those clips are very fragile and easy to lose. I bought some spare push clips for mine, and am missing 2 of the screws.

I know I didn't lose them, so it was either the dealer who did the first few oil changes or they just rattled out. Easy fix though, for sure get it fixed soon

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
You didn't say the year or mileage but the exact same thing happened to my wife's 2016. After a few oil changes, the plastic panel under the engines gets loose and starts flapping. This is a fastener issue. These are not designed for regular R&R like for oil changes. Honda should have done better. I would take the recommendations here and get spare fasteners and ask your tech to double check them based on past history after an oil change.

If I still did my own oil changes, I would have probably permanently removed this panel. It probably improves air flow slightly for mileage and noise.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If I still did my own oil changes, I would have probably permanently removed this panel. It probably improves air flow slightly for mileage and noise.
If I didn't have an AWD, I would remove it too! On my wife's Mazda 3, I used a hole saw to cut a hole to access the filter.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
410 Posts
Why is it required on an AWD? Just curious.
It‘s not required. In fact, its the opposite, in that the AWD doesn’t have it to begin with.

Which is why spacewrangler can’t remove it from the AWD versions.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just keep in mind that while it's not a "requirement", those under-engine cowlings are there to assist with air flow, which in turn has a small effect on handling and fuel efficiency, and it has the side benefit of helping protect the bottom of your car from rocks and debris. You won't get enough monetary value out of it to buy a replacement, but if it's there you should try to keep it.

As long as the panel is intact, you can order replacement fasteners online from various sources in bulk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts