Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I need to bring our 2018 HR-V from a dead stop up to highway speed, for example, on an on-ramp where you have to wait for a green light before you can move forward into the merge lane, as soon as I ease up on the accelerator, having reached highway speed, there's a very loud reedy outburst of sound, like from a musical instrument that is part kazoo and part baritone saxophone, lasting about 2 seconds; from the driver's seat it sounds as though it comes from the under the car at the center-rear. There's no rattle at other times or in gentler acceleration. Anyone else hear such a sound?

I have taken the car to the dealership (a large one) but they were not able to reproduce the sound. I have my doubts, though, that they subjected the car to an aggressive acceleration from a dead stop, since there's nowhere in the vicinity of the dealership to do that. The local suburban roads are very congested. They would have had to drive for about 20 minutes to get to a highway on-ramp and the entire diagnostic drive would have taken them about 50 minutes, round-trip.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think this is just the engine and exhaust sound - with the CVT transmission, the engine hits a certain RPM and holds it - while the transmission "revs" up or down. This may also cause the heat shields on the cats or exhaust pipes to rattle as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My HRV occasionally makes a possibly similar sound at freeway speeds, and best I can tell it comes from the motion of the outside air as it passes through/around the driver’s side mirror. For reference I have a 2019 EX.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think this is just the engine and exhaust sound - with the CVT transmission, the engine hits a certain RPM and holds it - while the transmission "revs" up or down. This may also cause the heat shields on the cats or exhaust pipes to rattle as well.
Could very well be vibrating heat shield, but the sound is not like the clattering sound my older Subaru made when the dealership told me "the sound was from a loose heat-shield". The sound on the HR-V is really like a loud kazoo, except lower pitched. It's a loud buzz with only a bit of clatter to it.

How are heat-shields secured, BTW? Are they bolted to the frame and the bolts come loose?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been driving the car more recently and have noticed that after about 20 minutes of driving, this buzzing kazoo-like sound can be produced when accelerating normally and easing the foot off the gas pedal at around 35mph. It isn't always an aggressive acceleration or driving up an incline that causes it. And it doesn't happen right out of the garage when the car is cold. I've been trying to record the sound but with not much success. Bolted a camera to the underside of the car but the wind-noise and road-noise was much too loud. With my mobile phone inside the car, the mic doesn't pick up the sound very well. Next I will be dangling a GoPro out the window on a selfie-stick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts