Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is by no means a knock on the HR-V. I test drove the EX-L model in Red and love it very much. I am looking for my 2002 Civic replacement and thought it would be easy to just get the HR-V since it blends well with it being a commuter vehicle as well as the occasional cargo hauler (more than a civic truck can hold). However, the test drive results were not entirely positive. See my review here: http://www.hrvforum.com/forum/289-honda-hr-v-general-discussion/8226-anyone-looking-red-2.html

So with that in mind, I think it only makes sense to wait on the other competitors coming out with similar models this year. One that is catching my attention right now is the new Hyundai Tucson. Yes, I know it a Hyundai and not a Honda. I have owned 4 Honda's to date and also help family and friends purchase Hyundais recently. But reading this news release makes me wonder if Hyundai is shaking up the competition. I also realize that it is NOT a true comparison in vehicle class since the Tucson is more a competitor to the CR-V. So, for what its worth, here is the article: http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/models/tucson/2016

If things turn out that the competition is truly inferior to the HR-V, I will be back and hopefully by then the prices will taper of and be more in the range of negotiable prices. Like many posts here, test drive the vehicles you are interested and test drive them again. I do not work for Honda, Hyundai or any other car manufacturer. I am just the average consumer like most of you here, trying to get the best bang for the buck within reason and using informed decisions.

Enjoy reading.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I sat in a Buick Encore and it was very nice inside. As the sales-putz was staring at me I didn't get a great look at everything but it's a lot shmancier than the HRV, whose long vent looks like a 70s mistake. On the Encore the styling is better this year than last (less like a brick on its side) but if I decide to upgrade for luxury I'll wait for the 2016 model to come out because the present engine is weak like the first year Mazda CX-5 was underpowered.

Still waiting for my old car to officially die but I've been researching an alternative since the HRV was announced as a concept. I went to a Honda dealer in SoCal on Monday and stood by the HRV for a few minutes. Nobody tried to help me. Meanwhile the lot was filled with salespeople. I'll try another one today and hopefully they have something printed where I can see the full difference between the models.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I sat in a Buick Encore and it was very nice inside. As the sales-putz was staring at me I didn't get a great look at everything but it's a lot shmancier than the HRV, whose long vent looks like a 70s mistake. On the Encore the styling is better this year than last (less like a brick on its side) but if I decide to upgrade for luxury I'll wait for the 2016 model to come out because the present engine is weak like the first year Mazda CX-5 was underpowered.

Still waiting for my old car to officially die but I've been researching an alternative since the HRV was announced as a concept. I went to a Honda dealer in SoCal on Monday and stood by the HRV for a few minutes. Nobody tried to help me. Meanwhile the lot was filled with salespeople. I'll try another one today and hopefully they have something printed where I can see the full difference between the models.
if u go on the HR-V website u can see all the trim levels and what they come with as standard features including prices and colors.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The HR-V is getting pretty good reviews. I think that there are definitely other options though. The Mazda CX-3 is coming out very soon. Subaru XV Crosstrek gets good reviews. Encore also looks real nice.

I do think that the HR-V is comparable on most counts to its competition though so it comes down to a matter of taste and priorities.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Definitely true! ;)
Each person has to decide what is best for their needs. Where Honda excels is it offers the best overall package. Take for instance the CRV and CX5. The CX5 drives better and some prefer the design, while the CRV styling is kind of bland and people have said for years it is way underpowered (huh, see the pattern here as some tried to claim it for the HRV as well?) ;)

But what it all comes down to is monthly sales and the CRV has and continues to outsell every other small SUV in its class.

When it comes to the CX5, Honda sells nearly 6 times as many CRVs every month. And Toyota, Honda surpasses the RAV4 typically by 10,000 units every month. Some have brought up the Tuscon which competes against the CRV not HRV, well Hyundai has to start selling about 7-8 times more to be on par with the CRV.

So for all the haters and dislikers, this is what will make the HRV a hit; (1) Its a Honda (2) Its the baby brother of the CRV. :nerd:

The HR-V is getting pretty good reviews. I think that there are definitely other options though. The Mazda CX-3 is coming out very soon. Subaru XV Crosstrek gets good reviews. Encore also looks real nice.

I do think that the HR-V is comparable on most counts to its competition though so it comes down to a matter of taste and priorities.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
This post is by no means a knock on the HR-V. I test drove the EX-L model in Red and love it very much. I am looking for my 2002 Civic replacement and thought it would be easy to just get the HR-V since it blends well with it being a commuter vehicle as well as the occasional cargo hauler (more than a civic truck can hold). However, the test drive results were not entirely positive. See my review here: http://www.hrvforum.com/forum/289-honda-hr-v-general-discussion/8226-anyone-looking-red-2.html

So with that in mind, I think it only makes sense to wait on the other competitors coming out with similar models this year. One that is catching my attention right now is the new Hyundai Tucson. Yes, I know it a Hyundai and not a Honda. I have owned 4 Honda's to date and also help family and friends purchase Hyundais recently. But reading this news release makes me wonder if Hyundai is shaking up the competition. I also realize that it is NOT a true comparison in vehicle class since the Tucson is more a competitor to the CR-V. So, for what its worth, here is the article: http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/models/tucson/2016

If things turn out that the competition is truly inferior to the HR-V, I will be back and hopefully by then the prices will taper of and be more in the range of negotiable prices. Like many posts here, test drive the vehicles you are interested and test drive them again. I do not work for Honda, Hyundai or any other car manufacturer. I am just the average consumer like most of you here, trying to get the best bang for the buck within reason and using informed decisions.

Enjoy reading.

I am getting excited by the Tucson and it's arrival in July. Sometimes Hyundais and Kias don't get rated very high, but they just keep getting better and better with each new update. I will see how they come out. Love the dash and all the fantastic cubbies! Now I could live with that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I drove the HR-V again today, this time on the highway, and I really like it! I also saw the blue in person and I LOVE the blue! Now I need to see the green in person so I can decide, but I really do love that blue. And to make it a harder choice, now the white is growing on me after seeing it again today.

I am heading over now to take a look at the RAV4. Have no interest in the Tucson. Ruled out the CR-V as the rear seat does not fold flat enough, and my dog crate was at too much of an angle when I put it in there on that section. Only other vehicle I would consider would be the 2016 Forester and don't want to wait that long. Just put $900 into my 2001 Jeep Cherokee and it needs to go now! Ruled out the Subaru Crosstrek as there is no way to fit a 2X3 foot crate into the back or rear side door. The crates fit beautifully into the back of the HR-V! A tiny little bit of room left in the back for some portable jumps (dog obedience) that I take with me sometimes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a 2015 Buick Encore convenience package last Friday and I LOVE it. I was so excited and set on the HR-V, but it just didn't WOW me after getting to test drive it a couple of times. I think both are great cars, it just comes down to the specific things you're looking for.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just thought I would post about the RAV4. I am more comfortable driving the HR-V. I maxed out the seat height in the RAV4 and still felt like I needed a booster seat. I am 5'2".

Also the rear seats do not lay flat, but they do lay a bit flatter than the CR-V. So when I put my Golden's crate in there, it was at a slight slope. If the crate was behind the folded down seat it was fine. HR-V has the advantage there also as the seats lay flat.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
In this case, that would be a bad thing :)

You need to pay attention to the prices as they are in descending order so the bottom of the list is much better than the top.

Wondering why the HR-V was not shown up at the top of the list???

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks... interesting list! Helps confirm my personal list of potentials, which is currently 4:
- Soul, on my list courtesy of ScooterCT, but I haven't even looked yet
- CX-3, which has grown on me a liitle, but has to look a lot better to me in person
- Crosstrek, but a lot more money in the trim I want, and I don't need the AWD
- HR-V, still the front-runner, but can't see it until July

I might drive the CX3 this week, if it arrives as expected at the local dealer, and check out Soul and Crosstrek. Really can't get serious until the Honda gets here, though.

If none of those make the cut, it'll likely be a hatchback for me: Golf, Mazda3, Elantra, Imprezza... or maybe a Fit. Or just wait and see what next year brings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Tucson caught my eye last year when I started hearing about the HRV, but then I found out the following:

http://www.intellichoice.com/1-12-2...dai-tucson-limited-awd-4dr-sport-utility.html

And found the Ownership Costs to be:

Then I checked out the Santa Fe: http://www.intellichoice.com/1-12-2...anta-fe-limited-v6-awd-4dr-sport-utility.html

Good thought however the major negative is depreciation. The 2016 Tucson is a different animal ... including the 7spd dual clutch tranny. Likely it will still depreciate faster than the Honda, but as I am planning to drive it over 10 years (repairs on the Tucson have been cheap so depreciation is a non issue.

If it ultimately drives equal to its features Honda will have lost a faithful 25 yr customer. (457000 km on my 91 Integra and aiming for 500 000) Mainly because they are now changing engines every 2 years and think I shouldn't get xm satellite cuz I have not purchased the top of the line cvt.
They can bite me. I'm going for a real transmission and more features.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts