Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of a 2016. Every time I start my vehicle the low engine coolant light is on till the engine is warm enough then it disappears.
If no one knows, it is the water temp light and comes on in blue indicating low engine coolant, not the red. The dealership assured me it was because the engine was cold. I am not overly concerned because it disappears every time, maybe it is just a sensor?

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The blue icon is for low temp, not low coolant. it goes away after car warms up.

Should read the owners manual to familiar yourself with icons and warning lights for your new car.
I did search for it but I didn't find anything in the manual. I had to google it and it said low engine coolant, so I figured that was the case.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Every vehicle I have had has done this. The engine coolant temp indicator will stay on until the car warms up. As the manual indicates, the indicator should go off when engine reaches a certain temp. If yours is staying on or blinking then that is a problem.

·
Registered
207 Posts
since Honda did not decide to incorporate a temp gauge - they had to have a way to indicate coolant temperature to the driver.
Blue is low temp
lack of any indication is normal
and Red would be high temp
They made things really really simple for some reason.

·
Registered
410 Posts
This blue temperature light might even appear briefly in warmer weather conditions when you first start up the car. Until the coolant reaches a temperature warm enough to have the warning go out, it stays lit. In winter it takes a few minutes longer than in mild weather. It’s perfectly normal. Though you do not have to idle until the light goes out, the warning means you can drive but the engine is not ready for high performance.

Information provided here by @hikendan is correct: the fan on the climate control (when set to Auto) will remain low speed until the coolant warms up and the light goes out. That way you don’t have cold air blasting into the cabin until the heater can grab warmth off the engine. Sensible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
John35g is correct. This threw me for a bit as well. Think of the old gauge with the needle moving up from 'cold' into warm range. That's all it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Every vehicle I have had has done this. The engine coolant temp indicator will stay on until the car warms up. As the manual indicates, the indicator should go off when engine reaches a certain temp. If yours is staying on or blinking then that is a problem.
Thank you. This is what I needed to hear. I've never experienced this before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Makes
John35g is correct. This threw me for a bit as well. Think of the old gauge with the needle moving up from 'cold' into warm range. That's all it is.
Makes complete sense now. I feel like a bit of a dolt for not connecting the two now!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts