Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wouldn't worry about it since AWD versions don't have it. But if it's cheap to replace it wouldn't hurt. The cover will help keep the engine bay cleaner since it helps deflect road soot from getting on the bottom of the engine. Will also deflect minor road debris like small rocks, bottles and other litter from damaging your engine. But if you have critters in areas that you park, it would also give them a nice place to build a nest. So its a give and take. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have an AWD. I don't miss it. It just makes oil changes harder!
That's right about making oil changes longer. I did my first oil change on my 2019 HRV LX and because of the lower engine cover I had to use ramps so that added time to the time to remove and reinstall the lower cover. My wife's 2016 CRV LX is a breeze to change the oil, no ramps, the oil filter is right there in front like the HRV. I put the cover back on, but might consider leaving it off my next oil change.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That lower cover is a nuisance for oil changes, especially as those plastic fasteners are just good for a few uses.

It may help pull air through the rad and condenser at speed if it causes a low pressure zone at the rear of the engine bay.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would agree that the lower cover makes it hard for oil changes and that AWD systems has so much stuff after the engine that it makes the "aero" savings questionable, but why did Honda put a lower cover on my CRV Hybrid? it is also AWD and it is a pain.

·
Administrator
2,073 Posts
It is cost-saving not having one in the HRV AWD. Two of my other AWDs have aero/noise undercover. Some HRVs have full under cover.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I installed a under-cover. All the pics and parts were posted here somewhere. Oil and filter changes not a problem for me.
I don't care to rush thru any job and possibly forget something so, no problem. I take a good look around.

I put it on for aero, snow/salt/slush and debris, and to keep it cleaner. Not a perfect fit on the awd at the rear
edge - different crossmember locations between the two chassis, but it's not a worry at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I almost had an accident because of this! Driving on the freeway when suddenly feels like the whole car drop, sounds really bad when your driving on the freeway at 70 miles an hour. Had to stop driving and had it towed to nearby dealership, come to find out the last time I had my oil changes, someone dint put this thing back properly and high wind cause this to come loose and hit the ground and get damaged! If I wasn’t paying attention on driving it could be a serious accident. Call Honda to complain and was told that it’s not cover under their Waranty, also the dealership said that they been seeing lots of the same issues. I was told that to have a new one put in will cost $246.99 parts and $45 for labor. I’m just lucky i dint have an accident. Honda doesn’t care if no one complain. Pls let Honda know you had issues with this as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fred Collantes...I just went to my Honda dealer and was told that the 2022 HRV doesn't come with that lower engine splash shield. I was surprised when I went to do the first oil change and saw that the shield was "missing." Apparently, Honda doesn't include them any more--possibly because of the issue that you reported.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts