Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does everyone have a lower Engine Cover on their HRV? Mine got damaged and I had it removed but wondering if I need to replace it....

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
240 Posts
I'll never be the one doing the oil change :) and with all of these "HR-V AWD blowing around the highway" posts, I was wondering if it may help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wouldn't worry about it since AWD versions don't have it. But if it's cheap to replace it wouldn't hurt. The cover will help keep the engine bay cleaner since it helps deflect road soot from getting on the bottom of the engine. Will also deflect minor road debris like small rocks, bottles and other litter from damaging your engine. But if you have critters in areas that you park, it would also give them a nice place to build a nest. So its a give and take. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have an AWD. I don't miss it. It just makes oil changes harder!
That's right about making oil changes longer. I did my first oil change on my 2019 HRV LX and because of the lower engine cover I had to use ramps so that added time to the time to remove and reinstall the lower cover. My wife's 2016 CRV LX is a breeze to change the oil, no ramps, the oil filter is right there in front like the HRV. I put the cover back on, but might consider leaving it off my next oil change.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That lower cover is a nuisance for oil changes, especially as those plastic fasteners are just good for a few uses.

It may help pull air through the rad and condenser at speed if it causes a low pressure zone at the rear of the engine bay.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would agree that the lower cover makes it hard for oil changes and that AWD systems has so much stuff after the engine that it makes the "aero" savings questionable, but why did Honda put a lower cover on my CRV Hybrid? it is also AWD and it is a pain.

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
It is cost-saving not having one in the HRV AWD. Two of my other AWDs have aero/noise undercover. Some HRVs have full under cover.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
240 Posts
I don't do my oil changes, so no worries there. The majority of other cars that I've owned, including an AWD, have covers. I was just wondering if it would help the car on the highway at high speed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts