Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Civic owner for many years...'91 LX sedan, '98 EX coupe and currently '14 EX sedan. Just got the '14 back in September. At the time was thinking of making the jump to an AWD vehicle for various reasons. Wasn't aware of the HRV coming out at the time...So here we are...May be making the big switch.

Trying to weigh the pros of the LX vs. the EX. The biggest reason I always ignored the LX was lack of real rims aka just hubcaps. The HRV has the same type of rims on all of the trims. Nothing special, but nice solid ones in my opinion. So this could have me leaning towards the LX.

Having driven the '14 Civic EX for a few months, I know I will be giving up the following by going for an HRV LX vs. an EX model:

Push button start (not a huge deal to me)
Smart entry (not a huge deal to me)
Touchscreen (like it, but won't be a dealbreaker)
Lane assist (really like this feature, will miss it)
Sunroof (not a huge deal to me)

Is there anything else I am missing between the LX and EX? There are a few smaller items, like the actual buttons for the temp controls vs. the 'touch' only for the HRV EX and up...But my current Civic EX has the knobs, etc and this wouldn't be a dealbreaker to me. I also know the EX and up has an extra USB port and actually has an HDMI port, but neither will be a dealbreaker either.

Anything else I am missing? That $2k+ package for the EX isn't enticing me as much seeing as my biggest caveat, the rims, has been addressed.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The only other thing that I don't see on your list is standard fog lights in the EX, and factory tinted windows. Also, the radio in the LX is a little less powerful than in the EX, and the EX has tweeter speakers where the LX doesn't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EX - you will not regret it!
That's what I am leaning...After having the Civic EX with some "bells and whistles" I can't go to an LX I don't think.

Unfortunately I just bought a Civic a few months ago and the dealer so far has not given me a good enough price to trade it back in...So for now, I am staying put.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Heated Seats. Gotta have them butt warmers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I dunno, personally for me, I thought all the amenities of the EX were WELL worth the difference in price.

LX does have a touch screen but it's 5" and not 7". Not the deal breaker. I do not like knobs when I can have touch for the climate control though, which is also AUTO Climate Control. I didn't realize how great this was until I got my Odyssey a few years ago, but oh boy, I don't ever wanna not have this again.

That Honda LaneWatch is really great for a number of things including parallel parking aid. Something to consider, especially since you're saying this is really the feature that you'd miss if you didn't have it. I really like it and find I'm liking it more and more as I use it!

Re: Moonroof - I could do without, honestly.

Heated Seats and mirrors: this is really kind of big for me. Again, didn't realize what an amazing comfort this is until I had it in my Ody.

smart Entry and PTS (Push to Start) is ... amazing, this is an amenity I wasn't sure I'd really like, but oh LAWDY, I will never buy a car without these again.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Move to Phoenix. Heated seats come free with every car. Just watch out of the burning buckles...
Well, I'm not sure where Rich is from, so I thought I would mention it. Obviously, it's a bigger selling feature up my way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tried out an AWD LX tonight. Biggest thing for me - I FIT!!! My head scraped the ceiling in the EX with moonroof. Bummer is, you don't get all the bells and whistles. I knew about the downgrade in radio & climate/heated seats & lane watch... but here were a few other things I miss:

- the 5" radio isn't touch at all - only operated via dials, no Pandora - just bluetooth aux audio input from your phone (won't display artist/cover art, etc.)
- no turn signal indicators on the side mirrors
- no fog lights
- no paddle shifters (completely dependent on the CVT) - but it has a "L" low setting and "S" sport mode? Not sure what the "S" mode does without the paddle shifters
- no option to add roof rails - I guess the mounting groove on top isn't on the LX - only EX & EX-L
- no keyless entry.

I'm really torn.... I didn't fit in the EX, but have plenty of head room in the LX - and the one I tried tonight is in Black (my color of choice) and gorgeous. No other LX's anywhere around where I live.

Some of the extras I don't need... but the thought of paying for a new car and not being able to get all the options seems like a let down. But I just plain don't fit in the EX because of the stupid moonroof which absolutely don't need or want.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm going LX, as I prefer something more simple. I drove an EX-L Navi, didn't care for the touchscreen stuff especially on the climate control. Wasn't a fan of the pushbutton start either. The only thing I might miss from my Jeep is the fog lights, but I don't use them often enough for them to be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sadly, the roof rails are only available on the EX-L - can't add them on the EX, either.
I get conflicting reports on that depending on the dealership/service dept I ask. Both I've recently talked to claim they have the part numbers and can install the roof rails on the EX.

·
Registered
45 Posts
seat height adjustment

Tried out an AWD LX tonight. Biggest thing for me - I FIT!!! My head scraped the ceiling in the EX with moonroof. Bummer is, you don't get all the bells and whistles. I knew about the downgrade in radio & climate/heated seats & lane watch... but here were a few other things I miss:

- the 5" radio isn't touch at all - only operated via dials, no Pandora - just bluetooth aux audio input from your phone (won't display artist/cover art, etc.)
- no turn signal indicators on the side mirrors
- no fog lights
- no paddle shifters (completely dependent on the CVT) - but it has a "L" low setting and "S" sport mode? Not sure what the "S" mode does without the paddle shifters
- no option to add roof rails - I guess the mounting groove on top isn't on the LX - only EX & EX-L
- no keyless entry.

I'm really torn.... I didn't fit in the EX, but have plenty of head room in the LX - and the one I tried tonight is in Black (my color of choice) and gorgeous. No other LX's anywhere around where I live.

Some of the extras I don't need... but the thought of paying for a new car and not being able to get all the options seems like a let down. But I just plain don't fit in the EX because of the stupid moonroof which absolutely don't need or want.

Did you lower the seat all the way to the floor in the EX? Try it again and make sure you lower the seat all the way down with the seat height adjustment. You may fit after all! :nerd:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you lower the seat all the way to the floor in the EX? Try it again and make sure you lower the seat all the way down with the seat height adjustment. You may fit after all! :nerd:
Yes - I made sure the seat was all the way down on both EX's I test drove. Also tried reclining the back a bit to see if that helped - my hair was still touching the ceiling. HUGE difference in head room between the the EX and LX for me.

Likewise on the back seats. In the EX I had to crouch my head down - did NOT fit. LX I could sit comfortably without touching the ceiling.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dang Nab it!

Yes - I made sure the seat was all the way down on both EX's I test drove. Also tried reclining the back a bit to see if that helped - my hair was still touching the ceiling. HUGE difference in head room between the the EX and LX for me.

Likewise on the back seats. In the EX I had to crouch my head down - did NOT fit. LX I could sit comfortably without touching the ceiling.

Dang Nab it!>:D

Well the LX is a good car too!

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
I'm going LX, as I prefer something more simple. I drove an EX-L Navi, didn't care for the touchscreen stuff especially on the climate control. Wasn't a fan of the pushbutton start either. The only thing I might miss from my Jeep is the fog lights, but I don't use them often enough for them to be a deal breaker.
The fog lights are an add on for the LX, if you really want them. I think they are $350

·
Registered
445 Posts
Did you lower the seat all the way to the floor in the EX? Try it again and make sure you lower the seat all the way down with the seat height adjustment. You may fit after all!

Same here. Back seat headroom is great in my LX. I couldn't make the EX work for me. Oh well I can always add heated seats aftermarket if I want.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts